Can't reboot/shutdown (failed to unmount /home /net)

vawksel

10 posts in this topic

I installed Leo4All (Vanilla), then Kalyway Combo Updater 10.5.3 using Vanilla 10.5.3 Kernel.

When I shutdown/reboot, I see something like this:

Failed to unmount /home (45)

Failed to unmount /net (45)

----

That's it. It'll sit there forever and never reboot or finish shutdown.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

---- [ Edit ] ----

I did a shutdown, and after the Failed messages, it did say "CPU Halt" and then the system completely shut off. So it looks like only Reboot doesn't work.

These message still worry me, if they arn't unmounting, possibly could I be losing data?

Here is my mount output:

/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)

devfs on /dev (devfs, local)

fdesc on /dev (fdesc, union)

map -hosts on /net (autofs, automounted)

map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted)

/dev/disk1s1 on /Volumes/Storage (fusefs, local, synchronous)

/dev/disk2s1 on /Volumes/OS (fusefs, local, synchronous)

• 2 weeks later...

What hardware are you running? Gigabyte EP35-DS4 boards are known for this behavior. Not much you can do about it except run a patched kernel. Try it with 1 cpu. Having to choke back to 1 cpu is bogus, and worse than having to use a patched kernel, IMHO.

It seems that the Vanilla Kernel 9.3-Apple Original Kernel from kalway 10.5.3 comboupdater doesnt support your system..please use Modbin Kernel 9.3 that come along with the Kalway combo update..reboot and at darwin loader type update -v

If you can't reboot..then use the terminal on your leopard and type "shutdown -r now"..if can't too..then use your reset button or power button..

My Dell D620 (Kalyway 10.5.2 w/10.5.3 update) is experiencing a similar issue, except it is when I do a shutdown, the screen goes black and the power stays on.

Ironically, it only started happening when I installed the NVinjectGo.kext from the NVinstaller.free.fr package. Currently, I am at a loss... Thanks!

Mark

I get the same failed to unmount message when restarting, but the computer does restart, takes about 15 seconds though...I get the same failed to unmount message when restarting, but the computer does restart, takes about 15 seconds though...

That message is normal. Ignore it. It has nothing to do with your shutdown failing.

• 1 month later...
I also have a shut down problem. I am able to restart normally but when I try to shutdown my screen becomes black but the hardware does not power off. Any new ideas?

I had this problem too. I turned off HPET and Virtualisation in BIOS and it now shuts down AND sleeps which it never used too. I do have an AMD machine though.

• 1 year later...

----

That's it. It'll sit there forever and never reboot or finish shutdown.

Apologies for digging up an old thread but what does that 'failed to unmount' problem actually mean?

My (retail) install with all current updates will restart/shutdown fine, quickly too, but I get the above error every time.

Thanks.