Overclocking on a Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G board

26 posts in this topic

Hey people...

I've been trying to overclock my Q6600 on a Gigabyte GA-P35-S3G board, but I'm having booting issues....

I have some bog standard 800MHz value RAM - could that be the cause? - Should I get some decent RAM that can handle some good timings / speeds?

Also... How far should I be pushing the FSB up by? What are sensible increments to try?

I have a pretty standard CPU cooler too - could that also cause problems?

In a few weeks I will go and spend a bit of money on a performance cooler, and some decent faster RAM (any suggestions?)

Any comments appreciated!

Thanks to this forum I have a very powerful Hackintosh, just want to squeeze out some more ;-)

List your bios settings for me (just the stuff under the MB Intelligent Tweaker) and I'll try to help you out. Also what's the Batch number on that Q6600 and what stepping is it, and what are the specs on that ram?

Vapor...

CPU is G0 stepping. Don't know the batch number... how would I go about finding that out?

I've managed to get the CPU up to 2.8GHz - all I've been doing is upping the clock frequency - no change to any other settings (everything elso set to auto, system enhancer set to standard)

I've hit a hole now, it won't go past 310MHz... just won't boot at all. Won't even get to OS X boot, must be failing at POST.

The RAM i've got is PC6400 800MHz non ECC unbuffered. The timings are set by SPD (5 5 5 18?)

I have 2 x 1Gb in the first channel, and 2 x 512Mb in the second channel

Should I mess with the voltages?

Do you think a better CPU cooler will help here, or just simply help the CPU run cooler (i.e. will it help boot problems)?

Will some performance RAM make things more stable?

Also... should I do anything to the RAM multiplier, or leave that as auto?

Try these settings and report back:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]

CPU Clock Ratio (Note)____________ [8] <---reduced from the stock 9

CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]

CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [401] <--- This will loosen up your NB timings a bit

PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]

C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]

System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]

Memory Frequency (Mhz) 802

DRAM Timing Selectable [Manual]

CAS Latency Time - 6

Dram RAS# to CAS# - 6

Dram RAS# Precharge Delay - 6

Precharge Delay (tRAS) - 18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) [auto]

Rank Write to READ Delay [auto]

Write to Precharge Delay [auto]

Refresh to ACT Delay [auto]

Read to Precharge Delay [auto]

Memory Performance Enhance [Normal]

High Speed DRAM DLL Settings [Option 1]

******** System Voltage NOT Optimized ******** <---Ignore blinking red BS .

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [Normal (1.8v)] <-- Can bump this 0.1 if you have memory stability problems. Don't go over 2v without active mem cooling.

PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <--- a little extra for stability <

FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] <--- a little extra for stability <--- You can try reducing these one by one once you are stable.

(G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V] <--- a little extra for stability <

CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.325V] <--- Set to stock voltage to start. Bump a little at a time until you get stable. I wouldn't go too high with a near stock cooler. Watch your temps.

Normal CPU Vcore 1.3250V

That gives you 3.2GHz. Should be pretty easy with the Q6600. After you get the processor stable you can think about tightening the memory timings a bit.

Edit: That board has a real small northbridge sink. I wouldn't overvolt it anymore than 0.1v without changing it or actively cooling it. Stick a 40mm fan on it or something. You really don't have to overvolt that NB much anyway unless your going to start pushing 450+ fsb speeds.

I have a machine with a Gigabyte EP35-DS3R with a very un overclocking friendly E6550 and I push that to 3.6Ghz (514x7) with good quality DDR800 ram and a good cpu sink. Gigabyte boards are pretty forgiving for the most part.

Nice post Vapor! - I'll play with those parameters (or thereabouts) and will post back with results.

I used to be well into overclocking a few years back with P4's, and I used to have a rock solid watercooled rig - it's been a while since then though!

I am certainly going to invest in some Corsair or OCZ RAM, Zalman or thermalrite CPU cooler next month as well as some proper Northbridge cooling.

I like Mushkin or Geil ram these days. Crucial Ballistix is good for a good cheap fix, but I got sick of RMA'ing burned out modules all the time. Fast but it don't last. :)

As far as sinks I pretty much only used Thermalright or Noctua. The big name consumer stuff in the flashy boxes is high on spinning LEDs and flashy looks, but low on performance.

Not having much luck with those settings.... the machine is not even getting past POST.

I did manage to get past POST once, but then OS X KP'd

That leads me to beleive that the Northbridge is getting too hot, or the RAM isn't up to the job (it was very cheap!). Or a combination of the two. I have noticed that even at stock FSB the Northbridge is super hot.

I'll try some more conservative settings to see if I can get it to boot - but I think what will do the trick is some good RAM, good heatsink and a better PSU as my current one is quite old (around 3 or 4 years old) and is only 400W Max.

Thanks for the pointers Vapor.

with the above settings, memory is not your issue. bubble gum can oc 2mhz with those timings. things to look into: heat (cpu) and power delivery (quality psu - max output is nothing to go by). keep at it, you'll get it!

Vapor - I can leave my finger there for 10 seconds, but it does feel warmer than I think it should. I am looking into some Northbridge cooling.

Hollyw00d - I think you are right, PSU that I have is cr@p and old. Gonna invest in a nice shiny new one. I see you are running some PC2-8500 RAM.... I wanna get some faster stuff.

I was looking at getting this RAM:

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=607735

this PSU:

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=608530

this CPU cooler:

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=607686

this Northbridge cooler:

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=608126

What do you guys think?

That GeIL black dragon is excellent ram. You can overclock the sh*t out of it and run insanely tight timings. Be sure to cool it, though. I suggest a OCZ ram cooler, cheap, quiet, looks good, and works very well.

The power supply is garbage. I suggest Enermax or Sparkle Power. You buy a cheap supply like that and you get what you pay for. Power supply is one of the most important components in your system so don't scrimp on it. If you want to save money and don't care about fancy colors and spinning lights try to find a Sparkle Power SPI600GLN 600W EPS12. They can be had for about $60 US and will blow away supplies that cost twice as much.

Can't go wrong with tha CPU cooler. TURE is one of the best if not THE best. Be sure to get a good fan for it. If you have the money I suggest a Noctua NF-P12. If you are trying to save money look at Yate Loon fans.

That NB cooler might be a bit overkill for you unless you are really going to push things. It doesn't work well without active cooling (even though it looks like it would), is huge, and can get in the way. I suggest an Enzotech passive cooler with and added fan, or the Thermaltake Spirit II.

Have fun. :unsure:

Thanks for the comments.... point taken about the PSU. I'll look into a better one.

Could you do me a favour Vapor, take a look at the list of PSU on tekheads.co.uk, and let me know what PSU you think would be good. I don't want to spend an insane amount of money on the PSU, and I don't go for these lights / LED's etc.

Let me know which PSU I should be going for - I am prepared to spend around £40 / 50 on the PSU.

I don't see any I'd buy in that price range unless you drop the wattage down to 400-425. This site has a Sparkle/FSP 600W, but it's like £20 over your price range. I get my Supplies from Here, but they're not a UK company. Sorry. :)

Thanks once again...

So looks like I'm going to have to budget around £80 for a decent PSU then, oh well! Looks like I'll have to do some re-calculating. If that's what you gotta do, then so be it!

The link you provided for the Sparkle PSU is overclockers.... I use them too, hadn't actually checked the PSU's on there. I think that's where I got my Corsair TwinX RAM a few years back. Good site.

Out of interest - what impact would there be in dropping to 400 / 450W? - Interested to know as I've got a 450W in at the moment.

This will give you a idea, but it's not totally accurate:

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

For example: If I plug in the numbers for my Q6600 build it says I need around a 500-550 Watt supply. I know for a fact by using a VOM and ammeter that my system is really drawing about 620 watts under full load. It will give you an idea, though.

Note: The 450 watt supply you have right now probably can only really provide 200-225 watts. volts x amps and divide by the square root of two.

A good rule of thumb is to use only 85% of your supply's rated power under full load. This gives you a buffer against manufacturers fudging the numbers a bit on their supplies. Plus, you want to leave some room for growth. - .85 x 450 = 382, .85 x 600 = 510 So, yeah, I'd go with a 600-650.

Hi Vapor...

Installed a watercooling system for the CPU and a nice 580W PSU yesterday.... Now running at 3.2GHz nice and stable!! Thanks for all the advice.

Black Dragon RAM will have to be next month now!

One strange thing though... It doesn't want to cold boot with the overclocked settings, so when I turn it on it reboots at POST (then reverts to the stock settings in the MIB Tweaker thingmy), I then hit delete to get into the BIOS, re-enable the manual clock frequency to get the 3.2GHz - and it boots fine with the overclock settings...Weird eh?!

Any ideas?!

My P5K-E and my Gigabyte EP35-DS3R do the same thing. Not always, but like one out of ten cold boots they'll do that. Weird stuff like that (and stuff like THIS) if why I pretty much stopped buying anything but DFI boards for my personal builds.

OK... So it's just not me then!

It's not a biggy... just wondered why. Guess the board needs to warm up or something!

Well thanks for all the advice... It's good to be back in the overclocking world, it's strangely addictive!

No, it's not just you. If you check overclocking sites you see this happens to lots of folks.

Addictive? Yes, all is lost. I bought a Macbook so I'd have something to actually use for everyday computing. Most of my desktop systems are usually in some state of disassembly, running some unstable workup config, or running Prime. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I have had the same problem with my Gigabyte board. I have only once tried to overclock and was thwarted at post. I am an Apple person and have no experience with overclocking so I have been doing some homework via Google. I have not tried the following as i am not confident enough to attempt overclocking again (I hope to try it soon!)

Other people on different forums with the same problem solved the reboot at post problem by disabling Legacy USB Storage Detect in BIOS.

I hope this helps, let me know it may just inspire me to try overclocking again

I always had USB legacy support disabled... The problem for me was the fact that the original power supply I was using was cr@p.Went and got a decent supply, and now it overclocks quite well.Vapor.... One thing:When I try and push my overclock a bit higher, the moboard POST's fine - and starts to boot OS X - then I get an immediate KP.Ideas?One more for you Vapor....I'm coming into a little bit of money in the next couple of weeks, and I'm thinking I may just "go for it" and invest in a DFI board.What chipset does your board have? Will the Intel X48 chipset work with vanilla 9.3.0 kernel?

I always had USB legacy support disabled... The problem for me was the fact that the original power supply I was using was cr@p.Went and got a decent supply, and now it overclocks quite well.Vapor.... One thing:When I try and push my overclock a bit higher, the moboard POST's fine - and starts to boot OS X - then I get an immediate KP.Ideas?One more for you Vapor....I'm coming into a little bit of money in the next couple of weeks, and I'm thinking I may just "go for it" and invest in a DFI board.What chipset does your board have? Will the Intel X48 chipset work with vanilla 9.3.0 kernel?

I got the kernel panic after overclocking too. it seemed to be from pushing my ram past 850MHz (stock is 667)