internal card reader

33 posts in this topic

Yep mine, works fine, just Cards just appear as removable drives when i put them in,

Sorry i don't know the modle

Yours works?? :ihw_wow: What brand is the card reader? Look under about this mac for it. What does it say there? Copy and paste the info here if you can. Ive never heard of anyones working in OSX. EVER.

I've got a 01:09.2 0180: 104c:803b Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD) in my Acer Aspire 5570Z. doesn't work. seems to be closely related to the PCMCIA/cardbus bus.

I dont think anyone has these working, if they do there lieing. Ive been told over and over the way HP, Lenovo, acer, toshiba and others build them and use some kinda none standard bus and OSX cant see it. That is why they will never work in OSX. Now if someone gets the express card slots or pcmica slots to work the card readers are tied to that. So with one might come the other.

My express card slot is not seen by OSX. Thus my card reader is not either.

I dont think anyone has these working, if they do there lieing. Ive been told over and over the way HP, Lenovo, acer, toshiba and others build them and use some kinda none standard bus and OSX cant see it. That is why they will never work in OSX. Now if someone gets the express card slots or pcmica slots to work the card readers are tied to that. So with one might come the other.

My express card slot is not seen by OSX. Thus my card reader is not either.

My Cardbus slot works fine in OSX after applying chun-nan's IOPCIFamily patch. I use it for a firewire card.

There are a couple cases where an internal card reader might work. Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty sure some laptops have internal USB card readers (I know they're available for desktop PCs); these would appear as USB mass storage devices and therefore work out of the box with OSX. As for the eee PC, I heard somewhere that it's an IDE device and not PCMCIA.

Yes, Cards that are connected to USB bus are recognized and work, some connected to the PCMCIA bus also.

But since real Macs does not have card readers PCI cards (like mine XPS M1330) does not work, not even recognized.

• 4 weeks later...

Any chance of someone trying to take this challenge on. I was hoping that I would be able to at least run parallel/vista and have it recognized there but I didnt have any success installing drivers and gave up on it. Was I at least on the right track or is it pointless to try it that way?

• 5 weeks later...

on my hac my card reader has a usb end on the plug on the inside. and my mo bord has a usb plug and it nothing special it just works i can install osx to it also. not saying im going to try. but i had xp installed to an 8gb card for a few weeks

it was kinda of cool to do that and xp was fast. ok thas it for me

• 2 months later...

I have used Chan nan's modded IOPCCardFamily.kext to get PCMCIA working I too thought that modifing this kext further would enable the card reader to work I currently have a PCMCIA - CF converter and this see's my CF card

here is a copy of IORegistry explorer that shows OSx detecting the Flash media controller etc

screenshot-33881.jpg

as you can see all 3 devices 8039 804b and 804c are detected just need to find some driver to access the later two

• 3 weeks later...

What about that ??? (i don't understand if it can help or not)

Fot those who have cardreader woking (ricoh...), can you say with which driver (USB, PCMCIA...) ? (a little "idiing" into plist of these kext and our cards reader could be enabled no ?)

In IOReg we can see our cardreader, they're accessible, so we just need a driver.... no

This is what i can see on my hack with lspci :

08:03.1 SD Host controller [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter [1180:0822] (rev 22)
08:03.2 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller [1180:0843] (rev 12)
08:03.3 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter [1180:0592] (rev 12)
08:03.4 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller [1180:0852] (rev 12)

Those "SD Host controller" and "System peripherical" needs drivers (seems not to be USB or PCMCIA...)

Most PCMCIA devices are attached to the usb bus. Me e.g, with chunnan's pccard patches i have two pcmcia devices shown in system-profiler, but i have one pcmcia slot in my book only. The first one is pccard, the other device is the card reader, but not recognized by osx as is...

PCCard works, but if i insert e.g. an sd card nothing happens, no mount activities: hotplug problems, insert device id anywhere??

But i think it should work because it it recognized by osx(see pics).

But when i insert a pcmcia 5in1 reader into the pccard slot, it works, i can read/write all supported cards...

Any suggestions?

post-35271-1225670648_thumb.png

post-35271-1225670774_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have been following this thread trying to get my card reader working and I just wanted to give all of you a bit of a heads up on progress made by fgodfrey at the MyDellMini forum (SD Card Slot - Brainstroming a solution).

fgodfrey is writing a driver for the JMicron card reader in the Dell Mini 9. But he says:

This driver *should* work with any SDHC Host Controller compliant device. All that's needed is fixing the PCI device ID match in the Info.plist file.

Here are some other quotes from the discussion:

I decided to tackle the write issues I was having. Turns out the driver can be called by multiple threads at once and the driver wasn't multithreaded. A quick lock fixed that problem. I've been able to write a bunch of data to an SD (*not* SDHC) card.

WARNING #1: I take no responsibility if this trashes all your data

WARNING #2: Writes are slow. No, like, take the number you're thinking of and make it twice that slow. It took about 7 minutes to write 26MB. This is not surprising as the host controller isn't currently using DMA (it is capable of it).

I just sent this off to Type11 so he can integrate it with the code he's been doing to support SDHC cards. Also, we're in the process of setting up a SourceForge repository for the project. That'll take a few days to get approved. The stumbling block for releasing the code publicly at the moment is that, well, a) it sucks - it really needs cleanup and :) it needs to be GPL and I haven't had the chance to add all the GPL gink to it yet. When it hits SourceForge, it'll be GPL v2.

Not really sure how hard DMA will be. The problem with DMA is the conversion from host virtual addresses to physical addresses you can hand to the card. I know how to do this in a variety of kernels, but, sadly, OSX isn't one of them. I'm actually thinking that the next step will be to try to remove the workaround suggested in the Linux code (resetting the controller after every transfer). If that fails to get things going faster, I'll try multi-block transfers next. Those things are trivial (resets) and not very hard (multi-block).

Another possible speed boost comes from rewriting the code to use the right bits to see when it's safe to transfer data. Right now, that's not implemented the way the SD Card spec suggests.

This driver *should* work with any SDHC Host Controller compliant device. All that's needed is fixing the PCI device ID match in the Info.plist file.

• 2 weeks later...

I have downloaded this file seems to work ok on texas instraments controller 803c 104c

Currently only working for SD and not for MMC cards infact if you insert a MMC and then put in a SD card it wont work ( turns off the light for port which is constantly on )

Give it a go just modify your ven/dev IDs and kextcache and touch your extensions folder reboot with -f flag

Doesn't work for Ricoh... (1Go SD)

kextload: kext /System/Library/Extensions/BJUSBMP.kext is not valid
kextload: resolving dependencies for kernel extensions with validation and authentication failures
kextload: extension /Users/winichon/Desktop/IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext appears to be loadable
kextload: loading extension /Users/winichon/Desktop/IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext
kextload: /Users/winichon/Desktop/IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext loaded successfully
kextload: sending personalities to kernel:
kextload:	 from extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext:
kextload:		 IOFDiskPartitionScheme
kextload:		 IOMediaBSDClient
kextload:		 IOGUIDPartitionScheme
kextload:		 IOAppleLabelScheme
kextload:		 IOBlockStorageDriver
kextload:		 IOApplePartitionScheme
kextload:	 from extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext:
kextload:		 IOPCI2PCIBridge-Name
kextload:		 IOPCI2PCIBridge-i386
kextload:		 IOPCI2PCIBridge-PCI
kextload:	 from extension /Users/winichon/Desktop/IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext:
kextload:		 SD Card Host Controller
kextload: sending 10 personalities to the kernel

And nothing appened... But we're on a good way !

What about that ??? (i don't understand if it can help or not)

Fot those who have cardreader woking (ricoh...), can you say with which driver (USB, PCMCIA...) ? (a little "idiing" into plist of these kext and our cards reader could be enabled no ?)

In IOReg we can see our cardreader, they're accessible, so we just need a driver.... no

This is what i can see on my hack with lspci :

08:03.1 SD Host controller [0805]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter [1180:0822] (rev 22)
08:03.2 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller [1180:0843] (rev 12)
08:03.3 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter [1180:0592] (rev 12)
08:03.4 System peripheral [0880]: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller [1180:0852] (rev 12)

Those "SD Host controller" and "System peripherical" needs drivers (seems not to be USB or PCMCIA...)

Did you try this http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=132679

• 3 weeks later...
Doesn't work for Ricoh... (1Go SD)

kextload: kext /System/Library/Extensions/BJUSBMP.kext is not valid
kextload: resolving dependencies for kernel extensions with validation and authentication failures
]kextload: extension /Users/winichon/Desktop/IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext appears to be loadable
kextload: loading extension /Users/winichon/Desktop/IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext
kextload: /Users/winichon/Desktop/IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext loaded successfully
kextload: sending personalities to kernel:
kextload:	 from extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext:
kextload:		 IOFDiskPartitionScheme
kextload:		 IOMediaBSDClient
kextload:		 IOGUIDPartitionScheme
kextload:		 IOAppleLabelScheme
kextload:		 IOBlockStorageDriver
kextload:		 IOApplePartitionScheme
kextload:	 from extension /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext:
kextload:		 IOPCI2PCIBridge-Name
kextload:		 IOPCI2PCIBridge-i386
kextload:		 IOPCI2PCIBridge-PCI
kextload:	 from extension /Users/winichon/Desktop/IOSDHCIBlockDevice.kext:
kextload:		 SD Card Host Controller
kextload: sending 10 personalities to the kernel

And nothing appened... But we're on a good way !

try copying that kext using kext helper then loading it from /S/L/E folder

• 3 weeks later...
I have downloaded this file seems to work ok on texas instraments controller 803c 104c

Currently only working for SD and not for MMC cards infact if you insert a MMC and then put in a SD card it wont work ( turns off the light for port which is constantly on )

Give it a go just modify your ven/dev IDs and kextcache and touch your extensions folder reboot with -f flag

Which file works for the Texas Instruments controller????

Please post a link!!