PHOTOSHOP & LINUX

ibm-apple

12 posts in this topic

I want to run photoshop on linux... am I alone?

I am waiting for fEdORA cORE 5 TO BE RELEASED on the 15th of March and then I am goint to run the new "free" vmware server softeware on my fedora.... inside that vmware will be winXP running photoshop/illustrator

what is the performance like, has anybody been runing this setup...

I have a P4 3.0ghz 2GB ram (I will make available 1GB for xp/vmware)

look forward to hear feedback..

thanks

ibm-linux

I want to run photoshop on linux... am I alone?

I am waiting for fEdORA cORE 5 TO BE RELEASED on the 15th of March and then I am goint to run the new "free" vmware server softeware on my fedora.... inside that vmware will be winXP running photoshop/illustrator

what is the performance like, has anybody been runing this setup...

I have a P4 3.0ghz 2GB ram (I will make available 1GB for xp/vmware)

look forward to hear feedback..

thanks

ibm-linux

Photoshop will run faster if you use CrossOver Office (WINE) until VMware:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

• 2 weeks later...
you digress.

I am looking for paticular experience advice on linux/vmware/photoshop

could have been worse somebody could have recommended to unchain the GIMP

:blink:

FOLLOW UP:

Works unbeliavable!!! Linux is much better now than the days of redhat 6 and vmware/xp/photoshop runs a treat on rhel ws4

anybody toyiong with the idea of dirching windows as main polatform I would highly recommend this set up!

my specp4 2.8ghz - 2gb ram

this xen - intel vt is making tings look nice for the future too.

CrossOver Office, Photoshop 7, and any native Linux will work. The same will work under vmware but you will have better response in native install.

It's a small thing, but my only complaint with photoshop in wine is the lack of a theming engine for the widgets. There's something so weird about having a powerful art program up, with that horrid pseudo-9x widget set. Luna's not amazing by any means, but I find myself missing it in that one instance. Oddly, my wife, who actually is an artist, doesn't care at all as long as the program's running.

Still, even with that complaint, it's amazing that wine's come so far that an admittedly subjective minor quibble like that is the only complaint I have. I remember being excited just to see wine running mspaint or notepad without a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Cross Over Office is the way to go. It's not free but it's - on some cases - better than VMWare.

And no, I don't think I'm going to ditch my Windows installation (I'm running XP now). Yes, most of program that existed on windows is already available on linux (not the same, but close) and even if they don't, there's alwasy VMWare or COO or Cedega.

But I found it a little bit discouraging dealing with the incompatibility issues especially on my field of work/study (which is finance).

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone done any speed tests between VMware and Cross-Over Office on an app like Photoshop?

I haven't figured out what the difference is between Cross-Over and streight wine.

Unrelated, I'm hoping to get a email soon about Cross-Over beta for OSX intel.

It's a small thing, but my only complaint with photoshop in wine is the lack of a theming engine for the widgets. There's something so weird about having a powerful art program up, with that horrid pseudo-9x widget set.

This is the closest I ever got wine/crossover to gtk.

snapshot42wz.th.png

JimBob, You can not compare the two. Both applications are different fruits you might say. [addedd] Wine is the engine, and crossover is the thing that drive it to get a better user experience. It's sometimes apain in the arse to get some apps to install under wine only.

All this solutions are good if you want to make something like resize your screenshots, this is not the way for serious work, always will be huge performance lost. I think that will be beater to stick with GIMP than work on Photoshop with emulation. My advice is. If you want make something interesting in Photoshop stick with dual boot with your lovely Windows system :offtopic:

I agree, if you are on a production environment, use the proper tools it was designed for.

This site was based on exploratory ventures with pre-production OS X and have migrated to testing and seeing what we can do with other platforms. So user feedback with cross-platform alternatives is vital to this site and it's members.