Dual Display problem

jooby

13 posts in this topic

Hi, I got 10.5 running on my lenovo 3000 y410 laptop running pretty decently. So I decided to plug in a second monitor and everything went well. But then, I went into the display options and checked "Mirror Display" :unsure: and now both monitors start to flicker and display random colors. If I unplug the secondary monitor it flickers some more and then returns back to normal. I was wondering if there's a terminal command to turn off Mirror Display or some other work around? Thanks.

Thanks. But I kinda figured that. I can't get the "mirror Image" Checkbox because I don't have the second monitor plugged in. When I do plug it in, both monitor start acting up. Any one have a solution?

What I'm trying to do is turn Mirror Image off. But I can't because when I plug in my second monitor both screens get distorted and I can't see a thing. So thats why I'm asking if there is a way to turn it off in terminal or edit a certain kext file.

Other way :

Boot the terminal and type the following (replace "USERNAME" as needed, case sensitive) :

rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.window*

rm -f /Users/"USERNAME"/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.window*

rm -f /Users/"USERNAME"/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.pref*

This will reset the display configuration.

• 9 months later...

Thanks Krazubu! This solved my blunder too!

Other way :

Boot the terminal and type the following (replace "USERNAME" as needed, case sensitive) :

Other way :

STICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or

FRONTPAGE NEWS!!!!?

SticMAC

(everybody battles with this some stage or another) :)

• 10 months later...
STICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or

FRONTPAGE NEWS!!!!?

SticMAC

(everybody battles with this some stage or another) :P

Apologies if this has bumped this thread! I have the same problem with trying to connect an external monitor, see my video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-gtna1Ue1Q

I've even just done a fresh re-install and im having the same problem. I tried opening the terminal program on the desktop but I keep getting errors when I type each line and hit enter! I've repaired disk permissions, the lot! Im completely lost! Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

• 4 weeks later...

i am so eager to try those commands when i get home, my screen doesn't action up when i click on detect display, it just goes blank (both screen, laptop and external monitor), so but i am gonna vnc onto my laptop and see if i can type those commands and get the windows working

jooby is that what you did?, both screens goes blank/acting up, so you vnc onto mac, from another pc, you get a nice screen, type those comamnds on terminal and get things working?

god I've been trying to make dual screen work for ages now, hopet his fixes it