Virtualizing Multiple Partitions with VMWare

3 posts in this topic

Hello. I'm not sure if there's a topic in the forums relating to this, but I would like to get this issue answered ASAP, if possible. The way my system is set up is that I have two HDDs: the primary disk is partitioned in two, one for XP and one for Vista while the second disk is for Mac OS X. The operating system entries are handled by Vista's boot manager. On Mac OS X, I have VMWare 1.1.2 installed and would like to virtualize both the XP and Vista partitions. I see the option of using a "Boot Camp partition" under the Virtual Machine Library, and when started brings me to the Vista boot loader by which the operating system entries are handled. But when I select either XP or Vista, it gives me an error that prevents me from booting to the respective OS. I cannot remember the error at this time of writing, but will post the information if necessary. I am sure that if if I had only one partition, the process would be a breeze, but with two other operating systems aside from Mac OS X, it is not. Would someone please help me on how to go about virtualizing both the XP and Vista partitions on my computer? Thank you very much.

• 8 months later...

Well, this is a bump :P

I've installed VMware Fusion in my Laptop, and I want to use the bootcamp partition. I have 3 partitions: the first is a system partition (which has the boot files), the second is Windows 7 and the third the HFS for Mac.

When I try to run the bootcamp VM, it shows the boot menu, but if I choose Windows 7, an error appears: "The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible". I guess VMware can't access the second partition, which has W7. Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks.