Home Audio Recording OSx86

StringsOnFire

17 posts in this topic

EDIT: For everyone stopping buy here hoping for a solution, it's here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=104797

There are now drivers available for Audigy live/1/2 cards available, generally working very well, but still under development.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi<br /><br />I have Kalyway 10.5.2 with Vanilla Kernel working perfectly on my XPS 420, without sound though (& using a USB to Ethernet with Pegasus). I have the Creative Audigy 2 Platinum EX. It cost me £30 and, with XP or Vista, I can record 2 instruments, use 5.1 surround, use the remote, and convert the Digital Optical Input coming from either my Xbox or my Xbox 360 to the analogue 5.1 plugged into the PCI card.<br /><br />Problem: I'm sick of windows ant it's problems, and I want to switch completely (currently triple booting Vista Ult x64, XP Pro, OSx86). However, it seems there are no mac drivers for my card. Are there any? If not, is there an alternative that is cheap and I can still do all or most of the above with? Also, I know I can run XP in Parallels, so could I do so and have the soundcard working with XP (in Parallels), even though OSx86 itself can't use it?<br /><br />My PC:<br />Dell XPS 420<br />CPU: Intel Core2Quad 2.4Ghz<br />GFX: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB<br />RAM: 3GB<br />HDD: 2 x 465GB (the so called 500GB drives), 1 x 80GB, all NON-RAID<br />OPT: DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, therefore no extra bays for sound card box, and I'd rather not have to externalise a drive if I don't have to...<br /><br />Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Number 1: Read this topic about Live! Audigy Audigy 2 E-DSP or (EMUxKx cards)

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...t=0#entry758227

If you read carefully, you will notice that someone is planning to release the drivers...

All it takes is little patience (nothing else can be done at the moment)

Number 2: You must try to search for "Audigy" etc keywords on this forum. It can help you get the information a lot faster :P

Number 3: Links that you must follow to satisfy yourself :P

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=99620

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=96275

about your last question, :D you're kidding yourself! No sound on the Host, No sound on the guest :P Parallel is fine, but VirtualBox is the best :D in XP itself, it if 5x faster then VirtualPC!

Progress you say? that is the very thing I want to know :) however, I cannot "ping" Eugene anymore... I keep going in his site there and here but I've not seen any words on OSX since days now. I will have to say he decided to stop the project. Besides, there maybe a reason too "not plenty of people want OSX drivers for Audigy". The number of poll and posts in DriverHeaven and here probably proves the point.

He Mentioned "Summer" so, nothing I say has a meaning to it unless, there is some update from Eugene himself on this subject.

Hi there,

Another option for you could be to get an external sound device. There are quite a lot around which are compatible with both PC and Mac. The cheapest one I can think of is the 'Behringer U-CONTROL UCA202'. I think they are only $60 or $70 here in Australia.

Your best bet it to look in music/pro audio shops as apposed to computer shops.

hmmm, If you're suggesting me any purchase, I wouldn't go for it. I'm an expert in XP and know every aspect of it's operation. If I get virus, a spyware or worse, I atleast come to know about it but on OSX, it can be a pain. I mean everything is so "TIGHT" in the sense that, I don't know it enough to totally invest money on it. Software availablity on that platform is the only reason I will want to stay on Dual-Boot-Hackintosh.

3D Performance also suck a bit, If you open plenty of apps and check Dashboard, It lags! I mean Win32's 3D and 2D effects may not be integrated tightly to OS but it's definately Fast enough in actual Game and 3D applications. I tried Safari, they claimed fastest as others but as usual, I discovered IE6/7 the fastest (only on XP). IE5.2x which was released for OSX+PowerPC works on Intel+Leopard systems too but "Slow" and disgusting views of pages :blink: (I still kept it cauz of beautiful embossed 'e' icon). When I want to really work on something, I will not depend on OSX completely. These days after keeping OSX for so long, I find it like it has those milky "Jugs" (too much HD space eater but beautiful like chicks). I specially like to put this hackintosh ON at the time when I want to do show-off to my friends (something like I've a hot girl)

yeah mines becoming the same really. Got all the software, but I'm still triple booting, vista for general stuff and new games and xp for audio recording, though I can't wait to get to grips with logic studio 7, so those drivers would be lovely ;) and I do like showing off osx86, even without sound...

Well, I'm quite disappointed with drivers not being available even NOW! I mean, if you see my thread, Eugene mentioned that if he fixes the problem of identifying his pcmcia card bus, he would release the drivers (beta) within two to three weeks. He fixed the issue, got his device identified, got access to his hardware yet after the three weeks, the driver is still not ready BUT we as end users, have to understand that real life problems and release of a quality driver delays the launch date so, I really can't {censored} about the drivers. (Although I did try to ask Eugene about some update on information) but as I did not receive any word, I deleted many posts on DH.

I won't even go there now... I mean I get more "excited" or lets just say "Impatient" when I don't see driver there... Did you try this tiny "iStat Menus"??? Its fantastic :P google it :( might help to ease our driver waiting and enjoy some more quality.

Just to make your waiting a little easier, here some information:

> Hello Eugene, Sorry if barged in your development, :) I just wanted

> to know how you're doing :thumbsup_anim: ) or, is there any update on the

> development of OSX version info? :wacko:

>

> Forum dudes were little cranky with my impatient inquiry :) (had to

> delete my posts as it was turning hostile) :D

>

> Oxtie (DH) / Lama (IM)

I'm on vacation : )

Will return back in a week and will proceed with the driver.

Eugene

If I count one week from now, it would be 4th of next month when he would actually resume the work (from wherever he left off) and then talk about another week (11th if you're lucky) we can expect an alfa release... and if "You" are unlucky, expect another week (which makes it 18th of next month).... after that point consider us all together "unlucky" to add another week + days (for some final output in August)

haha I'm away soon for a month anyway, not back 'till half way through august, so to come back to the drivers would be nice. Any details on them? You think I'll be able to use it properly, i.e. recording with the mic and guitar inputs? means i could do away with XP :thumbsup_anim: I'm not holding out for remote functionality, 'spose beggars can't be choosers...

hmmm, I think you should use the current kX of XP and figure out what works and what doesn't. If something doesn't work, you should discuss it over there, you never know in the end, it can come under "to-do" list for future. about being a beggar, I'm not going to be one ;) If the guy satisfies me, I'm definitely going to contribute. Really I was going to buy a sound card but this dude changed my decision so if I'm saving some money by not buying a sound card, I can definitely spend half of it to further enhance this project :)

I never knew anyone having this much knowledge about sound card hardware(s) made by others.

• 1 month later...