How do I set Darwine-based apps as Mac defaults?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Pofadda

Pofadda

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I want my Mac to launch Picasa2.exe when I connect my digital camera.

I tried using 'Get Info' route and the 'RCDefaultApps' utility but neither work with wine-mediated apps. I seem to need to invoke winehelper.app and pass picasa2.exe as an argument or something but don't know how to do this. I can't find any info on darwine used this way.

Can it be done? Maybe wrapped in a script?

Pofadda

Pofadda

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I was shunted to this as THE forum for help with the Darwine project.

Is there no-one who knows how to use Darwine facilities to associate darwine-mediated programs with anything other than an icon, such as, in this case, launching it on connection with a digital camera?
Can no-one point me to the syntax for a script/CL to help this happen?
Is there no-one knowledgable enough to say with some authority that this is not possible?
Can anyone indicate what forum would be more likely to be populated with Darwine-savvy folk?

Pofadda

Pofadda

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
So, can no-one even tell me if this is possible?

Some people, especially 'crossers-over' must surely need to conveniently launch Darwine-mediated progs using the usual Mac facilities e.g. Dock.

Go on, you've done it (or even failed trying) so tell us what we can try/expect!

sycx89

sycx89

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Your Best bet is to try to invoke picasa via an automator script, since it is an entirely different api (windows exe vs a mac .app), its a little bit more difficult then just setting iphoto to be invoked when the camera is plugged in, in any case give automator a try, it might take some work, but if ur determined u should get it to run, darwine is a very basic, not so user friendly program, give crossover a try because i think it gives you an option to form .app files out of the exe's, dont quote me on that though.

Pofadda

Pofadda

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Your Best bet is to try to invoke picasa via an automator script,

Sycx89, indeed I will. I am happy to learn automator scripting for this.
I thought I had posted a reply to your advice yesterday but seem to have been mistaken. Better late, etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy