How much do you trust your hackintosh?

The Gonif

65 posts in this topic

I trust mine 100%. I have been running os x for about 6 months. I find that it is much faster, more stable and just plain more enjoyable to use than either XP or Vista. I only use XP in parallels 4 which runs fine. I do keep a second hard drive to test major updates with, I keep an eye on the forums for any issues with the updates. Don't be fooled in thinking that if you own a true Mac, that you won't have any issues at all, just search google for information on the 10.5.6 update, and you will find lots of true mac users that are experiencing issues, everything from usb problems to boot problems. If you get the most compatible hardware you can, and keep up to date with the osx86 scene, there is no reason to think that you won't have a very reliable computer.

I did change the boot file at the root to PC-EFI v9 and used the DSDT patcher and put the DSDT.aml file at the root of my test hard drive and upgraded to 10.5.6 from 10.5.5. the upgrade went good without any issues. I will run my test hard drive for a day or so to make sure before I do the upgrade on my main HD.

My Hardware:

MB - Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Mem - 4 gig DDR2

Video - Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS 256 MB

Instal method:

OS X 10.5.5

Retail with chameleon on HD,

with Extra folder

(AppleDecrypt.kext,

AppleSMBIOSEnabler.kext,

IntelCPUMDisabler.kext,

OpenHaltRestart.kext)

Replaced boot file with PC-EFI v9 Boot with DSDT.aml at the root

The only kexts i have in /System/Library/Extensions are:

A modified AppleHDA.kext for sound.

All other kexts are vanilla.

"about this mac" fix

GFX string in com.apple.boot.plist

I use many differend HDDs to ensure I always have some OS to work on - all my data is stored OS independent on another (#4) internal hard drive. My bootloader, however, loads OSX as default, so yes, I work on OSX, all the rest is just for playing or some kind of backup-system.

I have my 1 TB HDD split between Windows and OS X. The only reason I use Windows is for gaming period. Everything else is done in OS X. I have a 120GB external HDD with OS X installed on it that I use to test for major updates and if I run into issues with my main install failing. I have images created with Carbon Copy Cloner of 10.5.2 , 10.5.5 and now 10.5.6. Works like a charm really.

I've had my current install for about a year now. When I first started experimenting with Hackintosh with Tiger, I had a triple boot with XP, Vista, and OSX. Then when I first moved to Leopard, I ditched XP and did a dual boot with Vista and OSX (Why Vista? I have no F ing clue ... haha won't ever do that again!) Anyway, for my latest install (done approximately a year ago) I ditched Windows completely and run Leopard as my main OS on my only computer.

I also installed exactly the same onto a partition on my external drive (try doing that with windows), which is where I try my updates first. Never had a problem with either install, but if I did, I always have a usable OS!

Good luck!

Edit: Oh yah, I also have my machine on from 6AM to 10-12PM every day folding SMP style and I don't even notice a performance difference, despite my load processes saying 95-100% of my CPU is being used.

I have been using my Hackintosh now for well over 6 months. I trust it 100% and I use it every day as it is my Studio/Production machine. Everything works as it should all devices function as they should and its starts up and shuts down as you would expect.

I am still running 10.5.2 and have no interest in updating it at this stage as the machine runs perfect.

I guess its a case of 'if it aint broke dont fix it'

I also run my DELL M60 laptop with Kalyway 10.5.2 but am just in the stages of sourcing a new wireless card for my new DELL D620 so I can make that a Hackintosh too.

If your hardware is compatible and your install is done correctly your machine should be usable as your main computer.

Just my 0.02c worth. :blush:

If your hardware is compatible and your install is done correctly your machine should be usable as your main computer.

So did you all consult the hardware compatibility guide and buy your PCs based on that? And then you can just use a generic OS X install DVD and PC-EFI?

I trust mine loads.

Acer Aspire One Netbook Running iAtkos v5 updated to 10.5.6 With graphics sound ethernet wlan webcam and trackpad all working perfectly.

Dont use it fr anything hard, but I do probably use it 4 hours a day for web surfing. Excellent laptop, and Os X just makes it better. Only thing missing is sleep, but with a boot time of 50 secs, its no problem. 

How much do I trust my hack?

100%

Rory

• 2 months later...

Running HP Pavilion dv6358se

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73ghz

2GB of Ram

built in lightscribe/superdrive

webcam+Remote

Intel GMA945 Graphics

Running ideneb 10.5.6

I trust mine 100%

Enough to run it with a legit Apple Time capsule (that I bought) and enough to keep all of my music photo's and school docs on it.. Better than a PC =D

I trust mine completely! I only use my Vista when playing games.

Asus P5W DH Deluxe

Nvidia 8800GT

4gigz of ram

Chameleon

Leopard Retail Install

All features working except for the wireless remote control.