How much do you trust your hackintosh?

The Gonif

65 posts in this topic

I trust my hackbook pro 100%, and I use it everyday at college going on 2 years now. I am vanilla though, and upgrading is pretty easy (so far). Although an external drive used exclusively for time machine backups give me some extra peace of mind.

Yup I trust mine 150%. My main/only comp. It is totally rock solid. Running vanilla kernel but a few patched kexts for audio/gfx/LAN so updates I am always warey about. But stability is not an issue. It is on 24/7, sleep, shutdown etc everything is perfect. The only thing which would make you know its not a real Mac is the lack of bootcamp! Lol. But yea, all hardware everything is fine! Use it for work, all my documents/data stored on here (backed up of course but thats just good useage with any system!) As soon as you overcome the teething issues and learning during initial setup and usage and provided the HW is good your set! :blink: Any windows apps you use just get VMware fusion!

My personal opinion is I would rather this to a real Mac as its more fun in a sense!! Lol.

I would trust it more, but it likes to freeze during random things like:

1) Too many tabs in Firefox

2) Virtualization (VirtualBox, VMware, etc.)

3) Copying from LAN Sharing computers

and just other really random stuff. Hopefully my next install (soon) with iDeneb 10.5.5 will go better. :wacko:

So I trust my current install 90%

full of trust but also full of tests

i need it for video edit etc so i want to be sure that programs run faster there than xp (after effects etc)

i need more time with this, right now is 50-50 dual boot

but yes, i have a lot of works even inside the mac, i spent a lot of time

Mine IS my main computer. You can trust is all day as long as you have it backed up. I have an external 1 TB hard drive so it's safe to say I'll be okay. I've came a long way and have even successfully updated to 10.5.5. I think I have installed Kalyway and Leo4All at least 60 times. But it's all test and re-test. For now I am good with no mouse artifacts like before. Oh how I love my ''MacPro3,1''

i trust my hack pro 100%, first i was install my hack pro on USB External drive for around 1 month, then when i get sure of stability i removed my Vista from my Dell Latitude D630, and i installed iATKOS v4, running it as my main os now, and have parallel for xp virtual machine for some applications that i do not have replacement on mac. my only problem is the update to 10.5.5 and i will install another hack pro on my external hard drive and test upgrades on it, but the problem that it need some time each time to install the new mac os.

Ehm... kinda.

I trust my Hacbook fully with my data. It's a Toshina L20-300, with the infamous x200 chipset. The only reason I don't use it as my main system is that it can't play video fullscreen. Since the hardware specs, I can't upgrade to Leopard.

But all of my important data is on it, so I trust it, yes.

• 2 months later...

I trust 200% my Hackintosh hardware, if it fails, I can get cheap parts. Are Apple iMacs parts cheap?

I trust 200% Tiger, it it fails, I know I can fix it, can't say the same about Leopard even in genuine Apple hardware.

With the exception of some video card head aches, my hackintosh has served me really well. Actually, I've had fewer crashes on it then I did when I ran vista on the same machine. At this point although I do have vista installed on a separate drive I do use the OSX as my main OS now. I keep everything that I do on my computer on there and I haven't had any reason to regret it so far. That being said I do back everything up to make sure that I have another copy of everything were I to lose something. I do the same on my Windows computers too though so that's nothing new to me. In the end I think it all depends on how well the machine is set up, but if it's been tested as much as it can be, I don't see any reason not to trust it as a main computer.

My MSI Wind is purrrfect. Everything works awesome. No crashes, no errors, no KP's nothing. Just once the OSX partition got currupted, so got the data off it and had to reinstall. Nothing else.

I can trust my system(running on a laptop:Acer Aspire 5104wlmi) 100%. It´s working perfectly, only exception being that I still only get 1024x768 resoution. Otherwise it´s like a real Macbook. I have 10.5.5 installed including all the latest updates.

I always have a backup of the system on an external disk, so if something goes wrong when upgrading to 10.5.6 for an example, then I can always go back.

- Ztardust -

I trust 100% in OSX86. We have two hacks here and both work smoothly. A few days ago I did some nonsense here trying to change the DMI on my mobo and completely miss the information for partitioning one of my hds, it impossible to access any data on it. Using Data Rescue II managed to recover some of the files (as we did not have enough space for full recovery) and recovered all my installation of the system using the backup of Time Machine by recourse to recover from the install DVD.

Sorry if I made some mistakes in language.

I use my Acer/MBP Hackintosh in my office and trust is 101% than my Vists OS, in fact i never boott o Vista even though its set on dual boot, planning to totally reinstall the OSX 10.5.1 to the Acer and make it the ONLY OS. :censored2:

What did you use to backup your system? did you try it out and reinstall successfully yet?

Yes, since I have done a lot of experimenting to get my system to work flawlessly, I have backed up my system and restored several times.

I use disk utility, both for backup and for restore, and it works great. Only issue is that after backing up your system to an external disk, you have to install the bootloader on the external disk... there is an installer for chameleon which can do that quickly and easily, just select the correct disk.

At first I thought that to use the disk utility the disks or partitions must be of the same size, but no, it works great even though they are of different sizes.

-Ztardust

My hackingtosh drive is for all my important and delicate date and websurfing works flawlessly just be careful with updates, most the time a simple script will do the trick.

I only use windows x64 for games as it's a virus ridden peice of {censored}, much better than win xp I have to admit though.

Hey guys, for those of you who have had no trouble with your hackintoshes, is your hardware similar enough to an actual Mac that you can just install OS X on it, or do you have to use an OSX86 distribution? How do OS updates work, can you just install it or do you have to take special steps?

I had a PC with an Abit IP35-e motherboard and NVidia 8600GTS video card that I managed to get OS X installed on, but I had lots of problems with the audio and video drivers, and ultimately an OS update killed it and I gave up and bought an iMac. But a friend of mine wants to get a Mac to try it out and he's wondering if he can buy a PC laptop and run OS X on it. Is there any way that "normal" people could make this work or is it always a struggle with hacked drivers and kernel extensions and special steps every time you install a software update?

Thanks for all the good input!