How much do you trust your hackintosh?

The Gonif

65 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

So my original plan was to build a new PC to replace my old Pentium III machine and then buy a new Mac Pro to replace my old G3 tower. I build the PC, put Windows XP on it, and then with a spare drive started experimenting with getting OS X running on it.

Well, it runs pretty well! It doesn't like to shut down, but boy is it fast! It works well enough that it made me reconsider buying a Mac Pro. So I was wondering something: all of us here have turned PC hardware into Macintoshes. And most of us have some quirks with it (won't shutdown, random crashes, inconsistent video card support, etc). So how many of you would trust your great, new OS X experiment enough to make it your primary computer? Keep all your documents on there, your resume, your taxes, your music, all your family photos? Has anyone actually lost any data due to an OS update gone bad or anything like that?

What do you all think?

I keep an image on a separate hard drive, so if anything goes wrong I just restore to the image. But I've had to do that tonight a few times because of this 10.5.3 update. I love my hackintosh but sometimes I wish updates were a little smoother. That's been my only complaint.

well alot of them shutdown, havnt had any random crashes, and my video card has GFX strings so its close to real but I still have my MAC PRO as my main pc.

No, I do not completely trust it.

I have mounted a 320GB drive, a 300GB drive and a 200 GB drive.

The 300GB is backup of the 320GB drive, but all the information on those drives are also on my MacBook, which is my main computer. The MB has a faster processor, as well as Bluetooth for my wireless keyboard etc.

Dell Dimension 9200(XPS410) 10.5.3 - ONLY OS for 7 months - no problems!

HP DV6716ez 10.5.2 - ONLY OS for two months(new notebook) - no problems! I'm upgrading as we speak!

HP NX7010 10.5.2 - ONLY OS for 6 months - no problems! Sold it to someone in Basel, Switzerland with MacOS on it and he is still happy!

SticMAN

I switched from a Mini to my "Hack Pro". I love it and use it as my main OS. Just get the right components for the vanilla install and you should be fine. The small updates are no problems and the major updates are simple thanks to Netkas and Kalaway. I would suggest that it feels kind of like what it must be like to run a "borrowed" version of windows - sometimes you might have to think before you do a major update. My build is totally stable and I can't find a way to break it.

I trust mine 100%. Haven't had any trouble with it and haven't booted into windows since january or something. Its a dream to work with and beats the {censored} out of the G5 I have at work. I also use Kalyway 10.5.2 on my HEL80 laptop and it runs great & everything works except shutdown. Allthough it feels a little more sketchy on my laptop than on my desktop.

I absolutely trust mine, with a caveat: DONT LET ANYONE ELSE MONKEY WITH IT IN ADMIN MODE. Make sure you require passwords to wake from sleep, screensaver, etc, and have a guest login for anyone but you. My wife has her own login, no admin rights for her. I don't want anyone but me installing anything, because I need to keep my eye on everything going onto this computer in case something breaks. If I break something, I'll at least know what broke it. If someone else breaks something, I won't necessarily know what broke it. That's the rub. Backing everything up periodically (TimeMachine is AWESOME for this) is pretty standard for anyone using any computer these days, it's no special circumstance or requirement for a hackintosh.

Once you lock down your security settings, it's really quite an excellent machine. I've got EVERYTHING working except sleep on S3. It's very nearly a real mac, and I've already used it on projects. (I'm an editor). My clients have been blown away by how fast it is. Granted, my wife resented not having admin rights for a brief moment, until I explained the situation to her, and she totally understood.

best of luck,

K

same with tha_toadman ... with all the right parts i complete trust it.. i have 2 stable hackintosh to run cinema 4d and maya on. I work in interior and architectural design. 2 hackintosh notebook. My mom's and my brothers pc+notebook are all hackintosh.

plus i pick a few notebooks to be most compatible with osx86. So far i had change my family from windows users to mac user now. It's too good to be true.

With all the fun running hackintosh. I also a proud owner of a both the macbook and the 24inch IMAC.

I trust it as much as any computer. As said before the updates are so much easier on a real mac. I test out the updates on a similar install on a usb external hdd. What you save in cash, you spend in time.

• 4 months later...

well, i have a hacked pro running rock solid 100%... no problems whatsoever... upgraded to 10.5.4. i followed the guide of weaksauce12 (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=112708&pid=797614&mode=threaded&start=800#entry797614)

to build it. you can also check out the new kid on the block e-fix.. which is supposedly tinker free and natively installs retail leopard on your hackintosh. You can do all updates directly from apple update without bricking your system. But it only works with a very specific hardware.. so you'll probably have to do a proper research on it. The creators do claim that they have nothing to do with osx86 scene.. so i am not sure how stable is their platform. i will still stick with osx86 as they are the pioneers who started all this.

so far i haven't had any issues with my system:

Hacked Pro (Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.4)

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 8 mb cache @ 2.4GHz

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3P

Ram: 4gb (2x2gb) 800 mhz DDR2 Transcend

Graphic Card: Zebronics 7300GT 512mb Ram (Quartz Extreme is supported and vram is 512 mb)

Case: Coolermaster Elite 330 with 390 Watt SMPS

Hard drives: one 300gb, 3GB/s, Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Hdd and one 160gb, 1.5 GB/s Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm(from my old extinct PC)

Monitor: AOC 2216sw 22" widescreen TFT

Dvd Drive: MoserBaer liteon 22X DVD writer

The only thing that is keeping me from totally switching from the PC is this audio problem that plagues me at nearly every turn (posted in another forum and I use the PC for strictly playing WoW). With the exception of the audio the only other thing that I wish was different is I'd like the onboard LAN to work (I have a PCI thats better so I don't really care tbh)

Keyfer

The audio is indeed a pain in the ass to patch.

For me, there's one very last thing that makes me "need" windows.

There's a software that I use that works on both os x and windows (it also works on linux.. sweet) but there are some plugins for that software that aren't compatible on os x. However, there are some equivalents, I will just need to time to find these...

And right now, I have a few projects that use these windows only plugins.. so, until I finish them, I can't really be a 100% os x guy.

I Started with pearPC, and I have had both Intel and AMD hacks, I currently only have OS X on my computer hardware.

hope to be able to afford a real one, but college is Expensive and so is Gas.