Read RAID disks - P35+ICH9R - Asus P5K Premium Wifi

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.I am quite new to Mac Os X, and have installed a Kalyway OS X 10.5.2 in my PC. Everything is working quite well, but I can't manage to get access to a couple of hard disks configured in Raid 0. I am using an Asus P5K Premium WiFi motherboard, with P35 / ICH9R chipset. My hd configuration is as follows:- One 250 Gb SATA HD contains a Windows Vista and Linux Fedora partitions. Mac Os X correctly recognizes the Windows partition and appears on desktop. The Linux partition is not accessible from Os X.- One 20 GB IDE HD contains Mac OS X- Two 500 GB SATA HD have been configured in the BIOS as a Raid 0 Array. The array is correctly recognized in Windows and Linux, but Mac Os X can't access them. After startup, two message boxes appear on my desktop saying that "The disk can't be read". I guess this is OS X trying to mount both disks as normal ones, and not recognizing the Raid configuration."Disk Utility" shows all HD's as individual ones. It does not see the two 500GB's as just one big 1 TB disk.The question is: How can I get OS X to correctly read the Raid 0 configuration on my disks, so I can access them?By the way, if someone knows about a way to read Linux partitions from OS X, please tell.Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.I have been digging on some other threads, and I am afraid Os X can't read the ICH9R Raid disks.Can anyone confirm that?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi sg,

I'm using this setup for RAID5

1 Master PATA 500 GB for Leopard

1 Slave PATA DVD drive

3 SATA 500 GB = 1.4 TB for Storage

I don't know much about which files are needed to be able to do raid in Leopard, but, I was trying to do raid previously using LEO4ALLv3

and I could't because my 3 drives were not recognized during the installation of the LEO4ALLv3.

But, when I try using Kalyway's 10.5.2 DVD, I manage to install RAID 5 as clean installation on the Master IDE, and I saw the 1.4 TB Drive using 3 SATA 500GB drives as storage.

When I did the upgrade to 10.5.3 using the file "MacOSUpd10.5.3.pkg" (420mb) my set of raid 5 when away...

Do you think this is because I'm missing an extension?

How can I see the RAID5 again?

the intel raid matrix that ICHx-R uses isn't supported in OSX.