10.5.3 Restart and Shutdown fixes?

knewsom

40 posts in this topic

SuperNet, thanks so much dude, that totally worked for shutdown! To fix restart, I used the AppleACPIPlatform.kext file from my previous rebooting install (ver 10.5.2)

All is good now. Hopefully this will work for EVERYONE.

SuperNet, thanks so much dude, that totally worked for shutdown! To fix restart, I used the AppleACPIPlatform.kext file from my previous rebooting install (ver 10.5.2)

All is good now. Hopefully this will work for EVERYONE.

I hope you realize that limits your cpu cores to 1 (one of the sledgehammer ways of getting shutdown to work). Is it really worth not having a dual-core machine to have automatic shutdown working?

indeed. Only 1 core on shutdown only.

HOWEVER, this worked briefly for me, then stopped working again. I tried reinstalling it, no dice. I plan a BIOS update soon, so that might take care of it.

I now have the same problem, it briefly worked, now it doesn't. Let me know how you go with finding a solution. I will try a BIOS update as well (GA-965-DS3).

indeed. Only 1 core on shutdown only.

HOWEVER, this worked briefly for me, then stopped working again. I tried reinstalling it, no dice. I plan a BIOS update soon, so that might take care of it.

The App / Script is an very good idea.

Running this at shutdown moment didnt confuse other rhings.

I get if i tried to run it by hand (shutdown didnt worked better before) :

Last login: Mon Jun 2 07:57:00 on console

amiasus:~ ami$ sudo /sbin/poweroff_fix

Password:

FATAL: Could not initialize chud, error 0

amiasus:~ ami$

Does we need to install CHUD (i think the chud.kext is enough Dev Tools) ?

Also in the source code chud things are named.

Where can we get it ?

THANKS!!

I now have the same problem, it briefly worked, now it doesn't. Let me know how you go with finding a solution. I will try a BIOS update as well (GA-965-DS3).

Just an update, Updated bios to latest rev. Same results as before But, I find the poweroff fix to be a bit tempramental...it will work then not work..re-installing it works again but only briefly then back to square 1 again. I looked through the script the code looks fine. Could it be that the item is not starting up correct in the startup items?

/Library/StartupItems/shutdownfix

{

Description = "Shutdown Fix";

Provides = ("shutdownfix");

OrderPreference = "None";

}

I tried poweroff_fix to find that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

So I made a simple AppleScript (Shutdown_1Core_Eng.app) that has worked flawlessly for me in the last few days.

Anyone willing to give it a try at his/her own risk should follow these directions (with pictures):

1_ Install CHUD.pkg

2_ Set Universal Access as shown

3_ Double-click on ProcessorPrefPane to install

4_ Double-click on Shutdown_1Core_Eng.app

Hopefully you'll get something like the biggest .png attached: only one core running (see menubar) and a complete shutdown after a few seconds.

Put the Script in the Dock for easy access, also put CPUPalette in the Dock to see what happens to your Cores.

The script is editable, adding a few lines will make it work with 4Cores, too.

It works with 10.5.3 and 10.5.2, should work with Tiger

My rig: Asus P5k-VM, Intel Core2 Duo 3GHz, 3GB SDRAM, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB, Kalyway 10.5.2

post-164753-1212570691_thumb.png

post-164753-1212570707_thumb.png

post-164753-1212570734_thumb.png

post-164753-1212570765_thumb.png

Shutdown_1Core_Eng.app.zip

post-164753-1212924850_thumb.png

Huh? Why does anyone need to use Universal Access and all for this ? I don't get it...

Also where can I get CHUD.pkg?

You only need to check the "Enable access for assistive devices" box, actually; the script needs it to function properly.

You can find CHUD.pkg in

Leopard_Install_DVD->Optional_Installs->Xcode_Tools->Packages (see picture)