10.5.3 Restart and Shutdown fixes?

knewsom

40 posts in this topic

Ok, so prior to updating to 10.5.3, restart worked on my setup (9.2.2 vanilla kernel, Leo4AllV3 install), and shutdown was sporadic, only functioning about 1 in 5 shutdowns. When it didn't function, the screen went black, my HDs were spun down, and the power was still on, leaving me to have to press and hold the power button. A mild inconvenience, but an inconvenience nonetheless. Now, shutdown is essentially exactly the same, and restart seems to NEVER work, just spins down the HDs, screen goes black, power still on, no reboot (I have to hit the reset button).

It's come to my attention that a lot of other people are having restart and shutdown problems (and sleep problems too, mine only works on S1, for example) when updating to 10.5.3. It's probably fair to assume that many people for whom this update causes problems were using non-vanilla kernels, but I think there have been plenty who were using vanilla kernels like me. For some people, updating BIOS settings to use the 4 second power off and allow PWE to wake from sleep options has helped, so that's good news. For myself, those were enabled from the beginning, and never helped me much. I did use this fix here: http://leopard.ihack-case.dk/index.php/Reboot but to no avail.

Where do we stand on finding a fix for .5.3 restart and shutdown? Have things changed from .5.2 such that the previously mentioned fix would have no effect? Would the appleAHCI kext affect reboot? How would I go about comparing the new one with my previous one? Does using EFI strings for audio and video card support instead of injectors have any effect on this?

One more thing I should mention: when shutting down, before the "MACH_REBOOT" or "cpu halted" command in verbose, I saw two errors: "unable to unmount /Net, unable to mount /Home". Not sure if that would effect the software's ability to talk to the hardware, but thought I'd throw it out there as well. I'll keep updating this main post with additional info if this thread grows to more than a page in length.

Thanks in advance to any answerers.

-K

10.5.3 is pretty new, so I shouldn't be surprised with any lack of response. Oh well, I'm going to try to convert my audio and video to EFI strings tonight, if that fixes any of the issues, I'll update.

wait, there's a patched 9.3 kernel??? I saw there was a Kalyway combo update, guess I just assumed it was still too early for that to include a patched kernel.

if I've got a Leo4All install, will installing a patched kernel from Kalyway cause any conflicts?

wait, there's a patched 9.3 kernel??? I saw there was a Kalyway combo update, guess I just assumed it was still too early for that to include a patched kernel.

if I've got a Leo4All install, will installing a patched kernel from Kalyway cause any conflicts?

No, I talked to kalyway today and that combo update leaves the old system kext and kernel. There is a 9.3.0 patched kernel, I'm using it <_<

Just got it from the bay, I'll give it a go and see if I can fix shutdown, reboot, sleep, etc. gracias!

edit: waitaminute, that's for legacy systems and AMD, how could this possibly help my reboot issues?

There's a patched kernel, but you people don't bother to ask or look so I'm not going to do the work for you. <_<

Isn't that exactly what the OP is doing? Asking? Or is it that the OP didn't specifically ask you? I've also been searching but so far, outside of your reply to this thread and all of the previous link to the reboot issue under 10.5.2, I haven't found a non-AMD or legacy patched 9.3.0 kernel yet. I'll have to check your 10.5.3 guide to see if you've updated it :P

Edit: For those who have already done the update and are looking for modbin's patched kernel, it's on the green demon as part of kalyway's combo update package. From the package installer comments: "kernel 9.3 patched by modbin OS X 10.5.3 - 9.3.0 kernel 4 AMD and Intel - use with pc_efi or chameleon bootloader boot_argument for Intel: -64_bit enables 64_bit instead of legacy mode."

Hopefully the above will help someone find the info when searching this forum.

Toonces

Isn't that exactly what the OP is doing? Asking? Or is it that the OP didn't specifically ask you? I've also been searching but so far, outside of your reply to this thread and all of the previous link to the reboot issue under 10.5.2, I haven't found a non-AMD or legacy patched 9.3.0 kernel yet. I'll have to check your 10.5.3 guide to see if you've updated it <_<

Toonces

I just checked it. it's an amd/universal patch. Not sure if it'll help, but I'll give it a try in a few.

I tried that too, it didn't work for me, guess I forgot to mention that in the OP.

I also just tried to install the hacked kernel, but it gave me an error, my kernel is still the same (Vanilla 9.3.0)

I'll keep playing around, see what I can find.

I downloaded just the kalyway kernel package and installed the modbin 9.3.0 kernel and on my Dell Inspiron, I can now shut down and restart. Sleep doesn't work but that's ok. I rarely sleep anyways :) In 10.5.2 all I had that would work was restart using the vanilla kernel. I didn't use any of the patched ones then.

Toonces

did you just run the kernel installer? Or the whole update package?

Just the kernel installer. It's seperate in the kalyway 10.5.3 combo torrent so you can download it all by itself by unchecking the big combo package. It's named 2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg. You'll also want to add the -64_bit kernel flag to your com.apple.Boot.plist file so it boots into 64 bit mode rather than legacy.

After you install the modbin kernel, open up terminal and type sudo nano -w /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

in the com.apple.Boot.plist file, add <key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-64_bit</string>

That will boot the kernel into 64 bit mode.

it should look something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-64_bit</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Then hit CTRL +X to exit. Hit Y then enter to save it.

Toonces

yeah, I got this weird error when I tried to install just the kernel. I'll try again, weird.

Say, if I wanted to use multiple kernel flags, such as "graphics mode" as well as the 64 bit tag, would the code read:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-64_bit</string>

<string>"Graphics Mode"="XXXXxXXXxXX"</string>

or

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-64_bit</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

or

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-64_bit, Graphics Mode"="XXXXxXXXxXX"</string>

?

cheers for your help.

yeah, I got this weird error when I tried to install just the kernel. I'll try again, weird.

Say, if I wanted to use multiple kernel flags, such as "graphics mode" as well as the 64 bit tag, would the code read:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-64_bit</string>

or

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-64_bit</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

or

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-64_bit, Graphics Mode"="XXXXxXXXxXX"</string>

?

cheers for your help.

AFAIK, they go on the same line seperated by a space so the below line would tell it to boot verbosley into 64 bit mode using XXXxXXXxXX graphics mode. I could be wrong and the worst that should happen is that you have to manually enter mach_kernel -64_bit onto the boot line at the Boot: prompt and go back and fix it. At least that's what happened to me when I first modified my Kernel Flags. The line was not present in my Boot.plist file and I mistakenly added the flag after the kernel name and it didn't work so I had to enter it at the Boot: prompt then go back and fix it after I did a little more searching for the proper way to set the flags.

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v -64_bit "Graphics Mode"="XXXXxXXXxXX"</string>

Toonces

Tried it, entered the 64 bit tag, KP'd on boot. Tried booting with kernel name "mach_kernel", KP'd. Booted to safe mode, reinstalled vanilla kernel from Kalyway installer, rebooted, KP'd. Rebooted in safe mode, removed 64 bit kernel flag, rebooted, KP. Rebooted safe mode, deleted boot cache, rebooted, KP'd. rebooted using safe mode, repaired disk permissions, about to reboot again, we'll see how it goes. I'm not hopeful, and at this point, it's looking like I may have to reinstall.

--------

ok, update: rebooted, got KP. rebooted in safe mode, this is where I'm at. I've written down the error message verbatim:"Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".h"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.5.18/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1407I'm going to reinstall 10.5.3 from the combo update from Apple then replace the proper kexts to get me up and running again. ...dang hacked kernel. I'm sticking with vanilla from now on.

Tried it, entered the 64 bit tag, KP'd on boot. Tried booting with kernel name "mach_kernel", KP'd. Booted to safe mode, reinstalled vanilla kernel from Kalyway installer, rebooted, KP'd. Rebooted in safe mode, removed 64 bit kernel flag, rebooted, KP. Rebooted safe mode, deleted boot cache, rebooted, KP'd. rebooted using safe mode, repaired disk permissions, about to reboot again, we'll see how it goes. I'm not hopeful, and at this point, it's looking like I may have to reinstall.

--------

ok, update: rebooted, got KP. rebooted in safe mode, this is where I'm at. I've written down the error message verbatim:"Unable to find driver for this platform: \"ACPI\".h"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.5.18/iokit/Kernel/IOPlatformExpert.cpp:1407I'm going to reinstall 10.5.3 from the combo update from Apple then replace the proper kexts to get me up and running again. ...dang hacked kernel. I'm sticking with vanilla from now on.

The install package for the kernel also contains the vanilla kernel as well. Try reinstalling just the vanilla kernel and see if your KP's go away. If they don't then maybe something else is corrupt?

I tried reinstalling the vanilla kernel from the package, same problems.

I'm reinstalling from the 10.5.3 combo update from Apple.

Try booting with -f

-f = Tells the machine to reload all kext and dump the boot configuration cache

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry619789

Looks to be the same problem someone had after updating to 10.5.2

I manually dumped the boot cache, same thing. didn't work, sadly.

ok, so I reinstalled using Pacifist and the 10.5.3 combo update from Apple. I installed nearly everything, skipping the kexts that if they were replaced it'd break stuff... the NVIDIA ones, AppleHDA, AppleSMBIOS, etc.

Everything working fine and dandy now, though for some unknown reason, restart now works, though shut down doesnt still, and there's an airport icon in the upper right corner of my menu bar, even though I have no wireless installed. Also, under 10.5.2 it used to say "Mac Pro" under model name in system profiler. under 10.5.3, it said EX38-DS4, now it's back to "Mac Pro".

This is some f***** up weird voodoo bull**** if you ask me! ;P But I can't knock it, it works now. I'll test a few days, then make my Time Machine backup.

Thinking about it some more, there's GOT to be a way to fix restart and shut down without a modded kernel.

Folks help me please!! . I had a perfectly fine 10.5.2 leo4all v3 running on my MX8715 Gateway. I followed the steps outlined in the Readme that accompanied the combo update from the Kaly. I have a dead system now. I have tried -f -x -s update -v, all it does is after a delay, the laptop reboots. I tried to repair the drive with macdrive, however it complains that the drive is locked.

If I can I would like to recover this, can someone give me any ideas.

I got the same results with my Gateway laptop using software updater, endless reboots (haven't tried the Kaly combo update yet). But I had a test system on an external USB hdd so my main system is still ok. You should be able to recover your system, but I'm not sure how.

uhm, guys, I'm not sure this is entirely the right thread for this... have you done a search for "endless reboots"? If you can't boot, I have very little advice to give you, I'm afraid... Plus, I'm not exactly an expert either (I've never had that problem, and hence am not sure how to fix it). Have you tried booting from your original install DVD? You should still be able to do that. Maybe you should go back to 10.5.2 and do a combo update to 10.5.3, since you were using the vanilla kernel anyways. I'm pretty sure there's an "archive and install" option on the install DVDs.