Prasys' Method of upgrading to 10.5.3 - its easy and safe !

Prasys

51 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...

If you get this error after extraction , you may safely ignore it - "An error of type -60007 occurred while attempting to authorize to launch tools with root privileges.". Just safely ignore this message - Thanks mattrb for reportin

Can you explain what do you mean "ignore" ? Don't bother this error? Means it actually installing?

I was installing System--> Library..... Then i guess i came until "frameworks", after that "graphics" and start that message. All the list now gives that message and you saying don't mind it?

I just stop trying install because i get this stupid error, make me worry if something going wrong. Can some one tell me what to do? How to not ignore? What he\she mean by ignore that error? Means stop installing these anymore?

I hope someone responds fast, i am hanging here

Worked mostly fine for me.. couple problems:

Lost my 2 NTFS partitions + 2 IDE partitions..

Safari 3.11 didn't start up at all.

And most annoying thing, all menus seem to be fully transparent. It was a bit hard to take a screenshot but here we go:

Snapshot_2008_05_30_01_20_46.tiff

(About This Mac shows v 10.5.3)

edit: Other than those problems, the osx itself seems to work faster, applications that require the patch install easily and network problems are gone :) Just need to figure out how to get normal menus and why I get

"cd: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: Input/output error"

when I try to enter any of my other partitions..

edit2: ok, got my partitions back.. seems that ntfs-3g just didnt work anymore for some reason. Any ideas about the transparent menus? Using HD2900 Pro 1024mb version.

edit3: bleh, stupid mistake :D thanks for the help lastExile and JaS

I also have similar issue . It was hard to take screen capture for me as well because menu items are transparent . Any findings why this happnes.

I tried this method, and it looked like it was going to work. After doing everything, I rebooted and it came back up fine. But now every time I come into OSX, the menus are distorted. The menus at the top of every app, and even popup menus in Finder are all severally distorted that you can't even read the text on them. Anyone have an idea what could be my problem?
Do you have the Intel GMA950 chipset? There is a solution for this.

iPoco

If you are having the menu distortion problem to solve it on Intel GMA950:

1)Open Pacifist

2)Go into System>Library>Extensions

3)Install anything beginning with IntelGMA950

4)Restart

iPoco

Well, I followed the instructions to the letter, and everything seemed to go normal until I got that Pacifist error. I wasn't able to install the usr directory.

When I rebooted (using the "-f -v") and after a while all that was coming up on the screen was a bunch of stuff about "mDNS" stuff failing. All it does is is keep outputting the same 5 lines with an incrementing PID, and when I reboot normally, OS X won't start.

Here's what it's outputting:

"mDNSResponder[100]: mDNSPlatformInit_setup: SecKeychainAddCallback failed 1

mDNSResponder[100]: Daemon start: mDNS_Init failed 1

mDNSResponder[100]: Daemon start: mDNSDaemonInitialize failed

mDNSResponder mDNSResponder-162 (Nov 4 2007 13:23:04)[100]: starting

mDNSResponder[100]: SetDomainSecrets: mDNSKeychain GetSecrets failed error 0 CFArrayRef 00000000"

Would restoring the Library and System folders solve this?

1)Open Pacifist

4)Restart

iPoco

Is it trusted solution. then i am gonna try this.. because i dont wanna lose the OSX again and reinstall it . anyways i will try this..

1)Open Pacifist

4)Restart

iPoco

OK i tried this and it only wasted my some hours .. i got the same results attached is the screenshot about how the problem is in my case.

Most of the time i got some error which didn't allow me to replace or update .. but these IntelGMA files i manually copied to it didn't even work..

post-212294-1214428243_thumb.png

It works on IntelGMA950 which you may not have, check to see if you do. If you do not it will make no difference. If you do it will help. Trusted by me and some other people who I tried it on. Also if you have insufficient priviledges problems enable the root user and login as it to install these files. Or get MacDrive to copy the files.

iPoco

Something else to add. To enable root user:

1)Applications>Utilities>Directory Utilities.app

2)In one of the menus "Enable root user"

3)Enter password

iPoco

I have a problem after doing this update. I have a Leo4all install, did the Prassy update to the tee....everything works except my ability to access my SMB shares. I am able to surf etc (the NIC is working) but I am not able to visit my PC's

When I connect to server I type "smb://computername" and I get "The Text entered does not appear to be a recognized URL format" and goes on to list all the different URL formats.....anyone have a clue? Thanks in advance

Ok, I suppose the Pacifist method of updating to 10.5.3 just isn't gonna work for my setup. It has failed trying to update my Kalyway 10.5.1 and my Kalyway 10.5.2.

The second time I got a rather strange error though. As pacifist was working on the System folder, everything froze and a gray window appeared saying that I "needed to restart my machine by pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds." After restarting, I decided to start using the -f -v method, and Leopard wouldn't start. So as of now, I'm reinstalling Leopard, thanks for the great tutorial Prasys, even if it didn't work for me.

Hey,thanks for the tutorial.

I used this on a fresh install of iatkos2.0 and things seemed to go well,

but when i got to the login screen when i enter my password it just flashes for a bit and goes back to the login screen. when i enter the pw wrong the screen shakes but when i enter the right one it just goes back to the login screen

help would be appreciated, thanks a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Ace Prasys - this works for 10.5.4 also.

I stupidly updated from 10.5.2 to 3 when it fist came out using software update and mashed my system. After a reinstall to get back to 10.5.2 I left it like that till I came across your tutorial yesterday and decided to try it. First time around it mashed a bit after installing the FRAMEWORKS folder so I replaced the systems folder with a back up and tried again without frameworks and it worked fine.

In for a penny in for a pound i decided to try the same method for 10.5.4 it worked.

Many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Helpppppp

Just updated a Kaly installation 10.5.2 using the exact method.

I got the error when trying to install the USR folder so just ignored as per the instructions.

Reboot with -f -v

bootd into desktop but with no bar at the top

Turned unit of and then back in... Whooo hoooo.. but

Finder doesnt work - click it and nothing happens

System update doesnt appear when looking to do a 10.5.4 update

Without finder in a touch on the buggered side. can anyone assist please?

**update**

everything that I had on my desktop has vanished that I just realised.

Finder is missing from the top right as well.

Not sure how to proceed now :-( Do i try a 10.5.4 update from apple and see if that works?

ok mine worked so far , i did update to 10.5.3 after this now how do i upgrade kernel and extensions?

I am running a intel sse2.I don't have net yet or sound but never did anyways, would like to have net.

thks

• 3 weeks later...

Works fine for me :D

I have error when I try to install usr folder, I cancel and reboot with -f and my system works fine !!

Now I'll try to install 10.5.4 update with same method, I report you if it works.

EDIT : I install 10.5.4 update with the same method and it's work very well :P !!!!!!!!!

I install too Security update and now my system works fine

Thanks much !! :lol: