10.5.3 Experiences. Whats it break?

00diabolic

68 posts in this topic

Hi all , I was using kalyway 10.5.2 for 1 week.

I have tried to upgrade to 10.5.3

Now My video/audio seems to bug . VLC crash when reading the first seconds of an H264 files.

I'm going to read this topic to know which is the best thing to do.

An other thing : IMovie tells me that the 10.5.3 is not supported by the release include into ilife 08, Fine ! :(

Well it broke my system ..... kalaway and vanilla kernal. Hung after loading the firewire . Removed the firewire card and tried to boot in safe mode and still no luck. Then booted to my other 10.5.2 partition and tried the disk utilities permission repair ...... still no luck. Restoring from my 10.5.2 drive image right now. I'll try this some more tonight but I am not very hopeful right now. :)

Update : Well tried to load just the update with out changing the kernel and still no luck ......... crashed and burned on the ACPI where it stated it couldn't find a match for this machine. :D Restoring from my 10.5.2 drive image right now. :wallbash:

Well it broke my system ..... kalaway and vanilla kernal. Hung after loading the firewire . Removed the firewire card and tried to boot in safe mode and still no luck. Then booted to my other 10.5.2 partition and tried the disk utilities permission repair ...... still no luck. Restoring from my 10.5.2 drive image right now. I'll try this some more tonight but I am not very hopeful right now. :wallbash:

Update : Well tried to load just the update with out changing the kernel and still no luck ......... crashed and burned on the ACPI where it stated it couldn't find a match for this machine. :P Restoring from my 10.5.2 drive image right now. :wallbash:

had the same problem booted with -f and restored my old acpi got it working

I broke my system too with kaly's combo update. It just kills all process after booting and reboots.

Has kalyway released a 10.5.3 edited combo update? Or are you talking about his 10.5.2 update?

When I installed 10.5.3 Combo Update with the netkas guide at first it wouldn't boot at all....so I used transmac in XP to copy over the TOH 9.2.0 kernel over, which was what worked before the update...then it booted. But my Geforce 6200 lost QE/CI. So I replaced all NV* kexts and all Geforce* kexts plus NVInkect from my 10.5.2 backups using kexthelper...i think i repaired permissions too and after a few boots it was great! Then I came across this package in a torrent 2_kalyway_10.5.3_kernel.pkg....i installed it because i wanted to run a 9.3 kernel....i selected both kernels and installed them...but i dont really know of i am running vanilla or not....i was never able to run a vanilla kernel before....in terminal i type uname -r and it says "9.3.0".....how can i check for sure if i am running vanilla? i know its 9.3.....but is it the modbin or vanilla kernel?

Mobo p4m800pro-m v2

Hi All,

I've just updated my machine to 10.5.3. All seemed to go fine, with the packages, chose the vanilla kernel. Restarted and nothing seemed to happen, froze on the grey apple screen. Hit reset, booted with "update -v cpus=1" and up popped the desktop in around 10 seconds. Great!

However, my ATI X1950pro had clearly lost QE + CI. A reinstall of the drivers and a reboot later, same problem.

Deleting the relevent ATI ktexts and ran the driver installer command, rebooted, QE + CI are back.

Now running 10.5.3 with everything (everything useful that is) working. Aperture, iLife '08, Adobe CS3 and Office:MAC all seem to be fine.

Hope this helps,

If you had/have nVinject, you're QE/CI won't work.

REMOVE nVinject, use Natit or NVKush.

I am using the ancient Natit patch that came with Kalyway 10.5.1. I didn't have to do anything when installing 10.5.3 :)

Everything is functional, I have tested video, PS CS3 and front row.

"However, the Power icon on the menu bar has disappeared."

you need to copy the PowerManagement.bundle up again to get it working!

I've just zipped it, its easier to upload

sticMAN

Oh my. Thank you. I've been trying to get battery bar back for quite some time. This version of the bundle seems to work great for some reason. My old one wouldn't. I have no idea why. Is this a different version from the "official" one you can download here?

Well the score right now is 10.5.3 = 2 vs . me = 0 :angry2: This update just breaks my system on boot :blowup: . It crashes right after loading the firewire and setting the mode to full secure on the firewire card.

( booting with -v -f -kernalname) normal stock vanillakernal with kalaway update.

Pulled / replaced all of the extensions that it installed with 10.5.3 and sames results. Tried -x mode ...... same results. I have not tried to load the AHCIsata fix described in another thread. It doesn't seem to be kernal related , i tried diffrent version with the same results so it has to be one ( or more) of the files that are installed with 10.5.3. I can't seem to get to the error logs for more info.

kinda thinking out load ........ I'll check the bios settings again and see if there is anything obvious.

At this point looking for hints to get past this wall........ :help:

Update : Dropped the whole 10.5.2 extension folder in my /System/library folder ( removing the existing 10.5.3 folder) reset permissions and got some what further. NOW when booting with update -v it makes the call for the login window , returns sucessfully , then calls my /user/public folder and then just crashes ( yes crashes ...... not a KP )

Well the score right now is 10.5.3 = 2 vs . me = 0 :D This update just breaks my system on boot :blowup: . It crashes right after loading the firewire and setting the mode to full secure on the firewire card.

( booting with -v -f -kernalname) normal stock vanillakernal with kalaway update.

Pulled / replaced all of the extensions that it installed with 10.5.3 and sames results. Tried -x mode ...... same results. I have not tried to load the AHCIsata fix described in another thread. It doesn't seem to be kernal related , i tried diffrent version with the same results so it has to be one ( or more) of the files that are installed with 10.5.3. I can't seem to get to the error logs for more info.

kinda thinking out load ........ I'll check the bios settings again and see if there is anything obvious.

At this point looking for hints to get past this wall........ :D

Update : Dropped the whole 10.5.2 extension folder in my /System/library folder ( removing the existing 10.5.3 folder) reset permissions and got some what further. NOW when booting with update -v it makes the call for the login window , returns sucessfully , then calls my /user/public folder and then just crashes ( yes crashes ...... not a KP )

Macparts,

It sounds like you are having the same problems as I.

After the firewire hang up, were you getting the "waiting for root device" and "still waiting for root device" messages???

I don't have the patience to keep playing/trying to solve this problem. I am curious to see what you come up with.

Regards!

Macparts,

It sounds like you are having the same problems as I.

After the firewire hang up, were you getting the "waiting for root device" and "still waiting for root device" messages???

I don't have the patience to keep playing/trying to solve this problem. I am curious to see what you come up with.

Regards!

If you used an AHCIPort fix, boot with "-f" and clear extensions cache and set extensions permissions.

MY EXPIRIENCE: Perfect Install! Everything is working as it should be except for sleep but that never worked.

I had some problems with graphics freezing up for a few seconds, and also some small graphics corruption. This is on a GeForce 7800 GT. After the freezes there would be messages about "kernel NVChannel(GL): Graphics channel exception!" so i knew it was the gfx driver causing the problems. I fixed it by replacing all GeForce* and NVDA* kexts with the 10.5.2 versions.

Hay, for some reason after I apply the 10.5.3 JaS update and restart, everything works fine but all of my menus are completly see through, all you can see is the outline. I've tried to replace HToolbox, SArtFile.bin and CoreUI files but it dosn't work. Any ideas?

Well I FINALLY have success :thumbsup_anim: ....... the final solution was format the partion and do a clean install from the 10.5.2 disk , THEN do the 10.5.3 update and install the 9.3 kernal. I still need to transfer all of my stuff from by backup partion but it is up and running. Absolute pain in the arse to do this update. All the obvious stuff seems to work ( wireless , firewire ,bluetooth , 8600gt card ) but need to look at the video more to see if it broke any of the drivers. Restart doesn't work but that didn't work on 10.5.2