10.5.3 Experiences. Whats it break?

00diabolic

68 posts in this topic

please see this directory listing of the 10.5.3 package content here.

most things can be installed manually.

Hey thanks. Have you tried it yet?

Anyone else. Any laptop users? I'm not gonna chance this until I see some results for it.

On my Dell and HP I had to redo the SATA Drivers(AppleAHCI.kext), the AppleHDA.kexts to get the sound working.

On my HP I had to redo the DeviceID for my Wireless. I had to use Netkas' ApplSMBIOS.kext to restore the "About this Mac" error. Also had to recopy the powermanagement bundle to get my battery meter and powermanagement up! This also gave me the NEW Time Machine option to disable backup while on battery! My Bluetooth only started working after the 5th or 6th reboot.

On my Dell I have a gfX string so no inject.kexts needed, on my HP GMA X1300 use no injector so no problem

Every thing seems faster once I have rebooted once or twice

All and All, I'm a happy puppy

Except for kate that keeps hogging the keyboard!(see pic)

SticMAN

On my Dell and HP I had to redo the SATA Drivers(AppleAHCI.kext), the AppleHDA.kexts to get the sound working.

On my HP I had to redo the DeviceID for my Wireless. I had to use Netkas' ApplSMBIOS.kext to restore the "About this Mac" error. Also had to recopy the powermanagement bundle to get my battery meter and powermanagement up! This also gave me the NEW Time Machine option to disable backup while on battery! My Bluetooth only started working after the 5th or 6th reboot.

On my Dell I have a gfX string so no inject.kexts needed, on my HP GMA X1300 use no injector so no problem

SticMAN

Lucky. I can no longer boot at all. Oh awesome, you have an iPod. Which kind? I have an iPod Touch and an iPhone.

SticMAN

Thanks sticman.. Aww and thats a problem (the cat) HAHA. I will have to give 10.5.3 a shot. There is a guide I found here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=107340

Basically the update is like 10.5.2 and changes a lot of the same things again. I also found this: http://osrom.net/ Which is an awesome trick. Gonna have that on my system just as a backup.

I know you never really had any fan issues but have you noticed any changes to ACPI or cooling on your hp? I would love if somehow 10.5.3 fixed my fan issue but i highly doubt it.

Installed into my laptop.

Remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleHWSensor.kext.

Reboot and everything is working as same as previous 10.5.2.

However, the Power icon on the menu bar has disappeared.

My wireless until now still not able to get the driver.

May I know which USB wireless will work natively with 10.5.3?

"However, the Power icon on the menu bar has disappeared."

you need to copy the PowerManagement.bundle up again to get it working!

I've just zipped it, its easier to upload

sticMAN

Installed into my laptop.

Remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and AppleHWSensor.kext.

Reboot and everything is working as same as previous 10.5.2.

However, the Power icon on the menu bar has disappeared.

My wireless until now still not able to get the driver.

May I know which USB wireless will work natively with 10.5.3?

I can't boot at all anymore, not even booting into darwin... Just have to blame myself, I forgot to sudo -s before the "while sleep" blabla script. Just bugs me because i don't know why it doesnt get to Darwin anymore. Not even darwin! xD Anyone?

I got a fatal crash too. Installed 10.5.3 on my XPS 1530, followed the instructions exactly (did it with 10.5.2 too and everything worked). I restored some .kext like nvinject, smbios, ... then rebootet. Even at first start up it comes to a KP, i can't even boot to command prompt using -s. Error says something about a CPU ID and that there is no driver for: .. AHCI..

It displays the version of the new kernel but doesn't do anything else. seems like a total crash, Installatstartup script is still there (access via MacDrive) and dsmos.kext should load.

Seems like the system had a total crash... any suggestions? It would be great if somebody could help me, i can make a screenshot of the error message too, if need!

Thx

PS: I got a kopy of the old extension folder (except the kext i already restored). You think it would help to copy the whole directory back?

I can't boot at all anymore, not even booting into darwin... Just have to blame myself, I forgot to sudo -s before the "while sleep" blabla script. Just bugs me because i don't know why it doesnt get to Darwin anymore. Not even darwin! xD Anyone?

Sounds like you gotta do a reinstall or restore from a backup. Sorry.

I got a fatal crash too. Installed 10.5.3 on my XPS 1530, followed the instructions exactly (did it with 10.5.2 too and everything worked). I restored some .kext like nvinject, smbios, ... then rebootet. Even at first start up it comes to a KP, i can't even boot to command prompt using -s. Error says something about a CPU ID and that there is no driver for: .. AHCI..

It displays the version of the new kernel but doesn't do anything else. seems like a total crash, Installatstartup script is still there (access via MacDrive) and dsmos.kext should load.

Seems like the system had a total crash... any suggestions? It would be great if somebody could help me, i can make a screenshot of the error message too, if need!

Thx

PS: I got a kopy of the old extension folder (except the kext i already restored). You think it would help to copy the whole directory back?

See this is why I started this topic. There is always some mystery kext that gets updated with the new version of the OS that we had a hack for but it has been updated since tiger or something. So now that has to be updated again to work with the new version. I would recommend you try reinstalling a few kexts at a time to try to find out what it is. The screen shot might also help here. Sounds like your problem is weird, but it could be some kinda fluke occurrence to.

Latest update on my dell 640m.I installed upgrade from package not with pacifist then I tried to replace my important kext with kext helper woud not let me.It said failed to log in as root.So i booted up from usb leo install replaced applesmbios , applehpet ,appleintegratedframebuffer, appleacpiplatform,appleccpupowermanagment,and mach kernel with my old ones.I rebooted first with -f -v then with -xIt started but I had to reinstall appleintegratedframebuffer with kext helper.Rebooted but now I get cpu panick but if I boot in safe mode is fine any suggestions ????????I have speedstep kernel installedHere is my pic to show running update it took no more than 20 minutes with pacifist took me an hourI also noticed my mouse artifact is now gone I used to get it a lot when I used Flock browser just tried now and is not there :( I also noticed the only thing not working is battery meter anymore........and because I am running in safe mode my cpu does not have speed step so running at full speed and fan coming on a lot.......

have sorted every thing out.

I was getting cpu panic because I did not reinstall all kexts with kext helper after 2nd boot i only did

appleintegratedframebuffer becuse was showing as not installed properly.

I did them all and also I reinstall my sound with apple hda patcher + sigmatel 9200 and

bingo all running except battery meter .

I am sure some wiz will find solution.....

PS after reinstalling all kexts unfortunately got mouse artifact back.I wonder which kext is responsible for this...........

post-179170-1212102677_thumb.jpg

Latest update on my dell 640m.I installed upgrade from package not with pacifist then I tried to replace my important kext with kext helper woud not let me.It said failed to log in as root.So i booted up from usb leo install replaced applesmbios , applehpet ,appleintegratedframebuffer, appleacpiplatform,appleccpupowermanagment,and mach kernel with my old ones.I rebooted first with -f -v then with -xIt started but I had to reinstall appleintegratedframebuffer with kext helper.Rebooted but now I get cpu panick but if I boot in safe mode is fine any suggestions ????????I have speedstep kernel installedHere is my pic to show running update it took no more than 20 minutes with pacifist took me an hourI also noticed my mouse artifact is now gone I used to get it a lot when I used Flock browser just tried now and is not there :police: I also noticed the only thing not working is battery meter anymore........and because I am running in safe mode my cpu does not have speed step so running at full speed and fan coming on a lot.......

have sorted every thing out.

I was getting cpu panic because I did not reinstall all kexts with kext helper after 2nd boot i only did

appleintegratedframebuffer becuse was showing as not installed properly.

I did them all and also I reinstall my sound with apple hda patcher + sigmatel 9200 and

bingo all running except battery meter .

I am sure some wiz will find solution.....

PS after reinstalling all kexts unfortunately got mouse artifact back.I wonder which kext is responsible for this...........

post-179170-1212102677_thumb.jpg

Not sure I can help with that, never had artifacts except in tiger.. Hey what is that sunglasses icon a part of? Also is that snowflake part of coolbook (i'm guessing you paid for it)?

Hope someone can help you out. Can you list out your full specs.

"However, the Power icon on the menu bar has disappeared."

you need to copy the PowerManagement.bundle up again to get it working!

I've just zipped it, its easier to upload

sticMAN

Thanks SticMAN, will try out later tonight. By the way, any good USB wifi that can run natively on 10.5.3? Planning to search for one tomorrow.

Not sure I can help with that, never had artifacts except in tiger.. Hey what is that sunglasses icon a part of? Also is that snowflake part of coolbook (i'm guessing you paid for it)?

Hope someone can help you out. Can you list out your full specs.

the sunglasses is called shades it control the brightness of the screen on my dell because default keys not working

yes coolbook i paid for it unfortunately does not throttle with vanilla kernel although he reads cpu speed was only

working on 2 speeds,also it works only with applesmbios with id macbook or mac pro not with netkas .

my specs

cpu t2250 1.73 ghz only working 1 cpu booting with cpus=1 string in applebootlist

fsb 533

hdd 80 gb sata

lan broadcom 4400

gma 950

memry 1.5gb 533

wlan dell 1500n

audio sigmatel 9200

Everything works from 1st boot except audio I use patcher hda v1.20 with sigmatel 9200 dump

I also #%#$% up installing 10.5.3, and I restored the entire disk through TimeMachine. All went well, but now it doesn't even load darwin. I've tried setting the partition active, repairing permissions, restoring the com.apple.boot.plist from my "important stuff" backup, but still no luck. So i just get a black screen with a flashing cursor, not even Darwin or some error.... Anyone knows what to do?

Guest ѕиоѡ
I also #%#$% up installing 10.5.3, and I restored the entire disk through TimeMachine. All went well, but now it doesn't even load darwin. I've tried setting the partition active, repairing permissions, restoring the com.apple.boot.plist from my "important stuff" backup, but still no luck. So i just get a black screen with a flashing cursor, not even Darwin or some error.... Anyone knows what to do?

We dont know what install you are running so please add sys spec and install method to your signature. AMD/Intel? Retail/Kaly/Leo4all?

Sounds to me like you might have to reinstall EFI bootloader if you were using it before or else reinstall darwin bootloader!

Get to it! :hysterical:

yes sounds like u need to reinstall darwin bootload I personaly use Iatkos dvd which gives you option to only install bootloader

Even if you get message could not start the installation at the end with a triangle asking you to install it again just ingore it

Reboot and bingo a working leo again :)

By the way, for those having kernel panic at boot after the update, always try to boot using -f options after an update. It will force reload of kext or something like that and usualy fix up a lot of stuff.

I have install 10.5.3 and prettry much everything is working. But still have problem with QE I think, core image isn't working proprely and my vmware virtual machine is also f* up. Now that I think about it, I should have wait a week or so to get more info about people trying it :P

UPDATE : as I thought, vmware is working if I disabled "Accelerate 3d". got to try to re-install nvinject

Hi guys,

got it to work. My specs:

Asus P5W-DH Deluxe

Intel Core Duo E2160

Geforce 7300GT 256MB

Did the Netkas tutorial, but didn't backup and replace any kexts. I ran the NVinstaller V41 with pacifier before rebooting and did a Repair Permissions in Disk Utility. Without the NVInstaller it did work, but I didn't get qe/ci. Also I lost audio after updating. Just got the .txt for the ALC882 and the HDA Patcher and now it all works fine again. Takes about 45 Minutes total.

Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/user/therealfudgemachine