10.5.3 Available as an update!

176 posts in this topic

You probably forgot to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext as soon as it was created. It rebuilt the kextcache, loading the installed kext, and crashed your system. Perhaps you can try to recover by booting with -s, follow the instructions for mounting your hard drive as read/write, then type:

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext
rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
rm -R /System/InstallAtStartup
reboot now

I can't garatuee that this will work, though.

Next time, look here: http://netkas.org/?p=50

Tried this and mine won't boot either. Get the apple logo but just sits there with no HD activity and then get the panic icon.

I did backup my extensions but which kext files need to be restored? All of them?

Glad to hear it came out! I am thinking about re-installing over Kalyway 10.5.2 and replacing it with a hacked 10.5.3 iso image (when one comes out). Plus VGA/HDMI/S-Video doesn't work on my 8600M GS. Only internal screen works.

And btw, has anybod noticed that the previous youtube beta video player is now complete. The same day Leopard gets updated, do does youtube! Hmm, maybe its a conspiracy... lol

Ran on ECS 945-gct 1333 vanilla and worked great. Had to use pacifist to get my 8600GT working with CI / QE again. Fully working with restart and shutdown. I never have got sleep to work on this mobo.

Thank you all, MAN I love this forum.

Guest pleaseregister

Interesting: I followed netkas' guide to upgrade to 10.5.3, and it killed my AHCI. Boot would hang on searching root partition.

So I deactivated AHCI in bios, and it went smoothly through the upgrade.

Maybe this helps someone.

This is a

GA-P35-DS3L

Intel E2160 at 3 GHZ

2 x 1 GB DDR-800

XFX 8600 GT 512 MB

4 x 250 GB Samsung SATA

EFI 8

Interesting: I followed netkas' guide to upgrade to 10.5.3, and it killed my AHCI. Boot would hang on searching root partition.

So I deactivated AHCI in bios, and it went smoothly through the upgrade.

Maybe this helps someone.

This is a

GA-P35-DS3L

Intel E2160 at 3 GHZ

2 x 1 GB DDR-800

XFX 8600 GT 512 MB

4 x 250 GB Samsung SATA

EFI 8

Woah, that sounds funky. I have the same mobo, but I haven't tried the update yet myself. What release are you running?

Guest pleaseregister
Woah, that sounds funky. I have the same mobo, but I haven't tried the update yet myself. What release are you running?

Additional info:

GA-P35-DS3L Rev 1.0, Bios v7

Upgrade from 10.5.2 original leopard dvd install - mostly vanilla (+dsmos, nvinject installer 41, realtek 1000 driver for rendezvous bonjour, AL888)

After upgrade:

- AHCI no longer works

- QE no longer works on the 8600 gt > you have to force install nvinject installer, overwriting the newer kexts

- network and audio are fine

Look at this upgrade thread for help Upgrade Guide for 10.5.3

For AMD users, I would advise everyone to hold off this update and wait for a confirmation from those who are very generous to risk their current installations in order to try this update out. :unsure:

Additional info:

GA-P35-DS3L Rev 1.0, Bios v7

Upgrade from 10.5.2 original leopard dvd install - mostly vanilla (+dsmos, nvinject installer 41, realtek 1000 driver for rendezvous bonjour, AL888)

After upgrade:

- AHCI no longer works

- QE no longer works on the 8600 gt > you have to force install nvinject installer, overwriting the newer kexts

- network and audio are fine

Look at this upgrade thread for help Upgrade Guide for 10.5.3

Hmmm, were you using modified AppleAHCIPort/IOAHCIFamily/IOATAFamily kexts before this? Perhaps the update overwrote the kexts and maybe you need to replace them? Damn. I'm getting worried now ;) PM me if you don't know what I'm talking about and I'll send you those kexts to try your luck.

After updating to 10.5.3 I noticed a drastic drop in framerates in wow, at 1920x1200 it's around 20fps, when switching back to the nvidia kexts from 10.5.2, I had framerate again between 50-60 fps ;) , also the xbench graphic score was lower with 10.5.3 nvidia kexts about 10 points :wacko:

hmmm weird :wacko:

Installed on two quad Hack Pros last night. Followed this guide:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87078

*Make sure you back up your kernel extensions*. These were required as a backup for ALC889a sound as well as 8600GT 256MB graphics (QE and CI lost). The 8800GT gained performance by about 3% in XBench and didn't need old kexts, the new ones worked.

Looks sweet, bootup is faster.

Hmmm, were you using modified AppleAHCIPort/IOAHCIFamily/IOATAFamily kexts before this? Perhaps the update overwrote the kexts and maybe you need to replace them? Damn. I'm getting worried now :( PM me if you don't know what I'm talking about and I'll send you those kexts to try your luck.

Also having the exact same problem and I was indeed using modified AppleAHCIPort/IOAHCIFamily/IOATAFamily kexts before upgrading. If you could upload those kexts that would be superb, thanks.

Guest pleaseregister
Also having the exact same problem and I was indeed using modified AppleAHCIPort/IOAHCIFamily/IOATAFamily kexts before upgrading. If you could upload those kexts that would be superb, thanks.

Ok, the three files are here, for those who need them. They worked for me on 10.5.2 on a GA-P35-DS3L. Have fun.

http://rapidshare.com/files/118595843/Archive.zip.html

I followed the netkas instructions and was able to update my machine. Following the update I had to reinstall AppleSMBIOS and repatch AppleHDA. Also I'm using natit for my nvidia card; I saw comments saying nvinject no longer works.

Back up your kernel extensions

It will overwrite them. But make sure you have copies for anything that doesn't work.

10.5.3 Fixes and changes

General

Fixes a font issue that could result in Helvetica Narrow being used in applications instead of Helvetica.

Addresses an issue with stuttering video and audio playback in certain USB devices.

Resolves stability issues with Word of the Day, iTunes Artwork, and Slideshow screen savers.

Fixes an issue in which certain attached hard drives may not show up in the Finder.

AirPort

Improves 802.1X behavior and reliability.

Improves reliability when using Time Capsule.

iChat

Addresses reliability issues with screen sharing.

Resolves an issue in which saved chat transcripts may reported as "still in use" after opening and closing them in iChat.

Resolves an issue with group chats not being indexed in Spotlight.

Only the last 250 messages of an active chat are saved. Fixed to save unlimited number of lines.

Mail

Resolves an issue in which Mail may prevent idle sleep when set to automatically check for new messages every minute.

Addresses stability issues that may be encountered when dragging large attachments into an email message.

Fixes an issue that could occur if two compose windows are open when dragging a file to the Mail icon in the Dock.

Parental Controls

Addresses reliability issues with application logging and time limits.

Resolves an issue in which Parental Controls may prevent forced sleep.

Addresses performance issues with web content filters.

Fixes an issue with managed accounts in which iChat transcripts may not be created.

Addresses issues with 4-byte files and whitelist.

Spaces

Resolves an issue in which switching to a different space and returning back to the original space may reorder the application windows with a different active window.

Resolves an issue in which activating an application from the Dock switches to a different space, even if there is a window for that application in the current space.

Time Machine

Includes fixes for Time Machine compatibility with Time Capsule.

Resolves certain issues when backing up a portable Mac that is on battery power.

Addresses compatibility issues with Aperture 2.

Addresses reliability issues when performing a full restore from a Time Machine backup.

I started the process on my 10.5.2 (vanilla kernel if I remember right), monitored the extensions folder and deleted the Intel power management kext when it came up. Shortly there after (maybe 5-6 seconds) I had a kernel panic and now when loading with verbose mode the boot seems to hang at:

USBF: 8.878 IOUSBCompositeDriver[0x648c080](IOUSBDevice) GetFullConfigDescriptor(0) returned NULL
ERROR: FireWire unable to determine security-mode; defaulting to full-secure.

after which nothing happens. Tried loading my retail leopard dvd to see if I could get that to boot and it didn't work (not sure if I should be surprised by that) and my Kalyway disc found itslef in the trash a few days ago so I'm redownloading that.

anybody have an idea of what could be the problem?

This is running on a P5W-DH with what should be the latest BIOS