10.5.3 Update Guide

iSkylla

299 posts in this topic

Ok I DL'ed the combo update from Apple and then followed the tut. but when I type nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 and then find the line that says Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and I then replace that with the dsmos.kext. Now I don't know how it's supposed be saved. All I did was just closed out terminal and then rebooted. It doesn't boot to the desktop, so I figure that dsmos.kext line didn't get saved. Now I tried this on my external USB drive that I have to test this kinda stuff. So what I would like to know is, from my main system via terminal what command do I give to change to that usb drive volume? When I make the change to the dsmos.kext line how do I save that change?

Thanks,

Chevy

Edit: Ok I figured out how to get to the USB drive I wanted to, but still an issue. When I run the command to change the don't steal mac thing, it's like blank. I mean no text. Am I hooped?? Do I need to reinstall 10.5.2 or is there a way to fix it either via terminal or gui from my main system?

Ok I DL'ed the combo update from Apple and then followed the tut. but when I type nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 and then find the line that says Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and I then replace that with the dsmos.kext. Now I don't know how it's supposed be saved. All I did was just closed out terminal and then rebooted. It doesn't boot to the desktop, so I figure that dsmos.kext line didn't get saved.

After replacing the the Don't steal etc with dsmos.kext, do the following to save the file:

press Ctrl+x

type y (to save)

press enter (to confirm the file ovewrite)

Still i can't boot. If i restore the whole /System/Library/Extensions folder with the one from the backup, will i lose anything from the update?

After replacing the the Don't steal etc with dsmos.kext, do the following to save the file:press Ctrl+xtype y (to save)press enter (to confirm the file ovewrite)Still i can't boot. If i restore the whole /System/Library/Extensions folder with the one from the backup, will i lose anything from the update?
To save, if you are using nano editor, Ctrl+O and enter and then Ctrl+x to exit. Type exit one more time to logout.If you would just replace the whole extensions folder, you may get tons of other problems like USB devices not mounting due to non-matching system.kext and what not. Better replace only the ones that are need. beyond networking and sound kexts, you could replace AHCI and ATA kexts from previous versions. I replaces all sound, AHCI, ATA, Firewire (can't stand that error messages during boot; so use 10.4.9), SMBIOS kexts. Make sure to remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (and in my case AppleHWSensor as well).
Ok I DL'ed the combo update from Apple and then followed the tut. but when I type nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 and then find the line that says Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and I then replace that with the dsmos.kext. Now I don't know how it's supposed be saved. All I did was just closed out terminal and then rebooted. It doesn't boot to the desktop, so I figure that dsmos.kext line didn't get saved. Now I tried this on my external USB drive that I have to test this kinda stuff. So what I would like to know is, from my main system via terminal what command do I give to change to that usb drive volume? When I make the change to the dsmos.kext line how do I save that change?Thanks,ChevyEdit: Ok I figured out how to get to the USB drive I wanted to, but still an issue. When I run the command to change the don't steal mac thing, it's like blank. I mean no text. Am I hooped?? Do I need to reinstall 10.5.2 or is there a way to fix it either via terminal or gui from my main system?
login from a different partition if you can or if you are using usb, use that to access your drive. run the combo updater again on the partition. remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Replace all the necessary kexts. My impressions is that from a different partition, it will not install that script in system folder. but if it does, just delete it.

LioNEXT,Thanks for the idea, I tried this with the NVInstaller pkg, extracted the Frameworks as well as the 512 NVInstaller, but no dice. Still no QE, CI still software.*sigh*EDIT: Trashed NVInject, and replaced it with a backup of the old extensions, as well as the NVIDblabblah files right before it, and the old drivers for NVIDIA cards, and it works!Too bad Restart broke. Sleep still works the same tho.
Well, you have worked out. But if some of you are not aware, you dont need to extract with Pacifist first and manually install yourself.

Using Pacifist:

First click on authorization menu and authorize as root.

Then choose the packages or file you want (for example, press and hold Cmd key, choose the package containing NVinstaller 256 mb or whatever ram size you have, choose the kexts and frameworks package) and

then click on Install.

It will pop up a menu. Check "Dont ask again for this installation" and then hit replace.

That will force replace all of them.

Good luck

LioNEXT, that did the trick, completely... thanks! I owe you a beverage of your choice. :-)
how about a bottle of bear. :D
I'm getting Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort.Tried to use the IOAHCIFamily.kext from the 10.5.2 backups, no luck so far.Any ideas?
since you have tried one, you might have as well tried AppleAHCIPort.kext also. not sure if your problem is related to this.

login from a different partition if you can or if you are using usb, use that to access your drive. run the combo updater again on the partition. remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. Replace all the necessary kexts. My impressions is that from a different partition, it will not install that script in system folder. but if it does, just delete it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "login from a different partition". If I boot my main system and then plugin my usb drive it shows up and then I can navigate through the drive. So are you saying just run the combo update and then choose the usb drive to install it too? Now I went through the system/library /extensions folder and didn't find any AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. So can I just run the updater and then do the dsmos.kext and save it out? Hopefully that will work.

Chevy

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "login from a different partition". If I boot my main system and then plugin my usb drive it shows up and then I can navigate through the drive. So are you saying just run the combo update and then choose the usb drive to install it too? Now I went through the system/library /extensions folder and didn't find any AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. So can I just run the updater and then do the dsmos.kext and save it out? Hopefully that will work.

Chevy

Well if you installing to a USB external drive, then boot to your main system. Run the combo installer and choose the usb drive as the place to install (Choose Installation location). After that, check the extensions folder of USB drive and delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext; not sure if you would need to delete AppleHWSensor.kext but better delete and later put it back to see. See if that script is installed in the System folder or not (my guess it wont be). If it does, you can edit/delete it. Replace all the kexts that you want from previous versions. check the posts above for the kexts that i replaced.

So no luck for people on AMD CPU's? I guess I have to wait for someone to make a distro and waste another dvd?

"leopard 10.5.3 AMD only" - just apeared on the bay...

Thanks LioNEXT. I was ready to restore all the kexts, but i saw yout post and changed my mind :D

failed to load com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI

and

display: family specific matching fails

I'll try to restore the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext at first, acorrding to this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87096

Thanks LioNEXT. I was ready to restore all the kexts, but i saw yout post and changed my mind :(

failed to load com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI

and

display: family specific matching fails

I'll try to restore the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext at first, acorrding to this thread: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=87096

Just dont do all things at one time. :D Go step by step.

Strangely enough, repairing the permissions solved the problems for me (apart from replacing the only needed kexts).

USBEHCI error: did you put back your original system.kext or have replaced a different kernel?

Dont worry about family specific matching fails. I see it on my powerbook also. :)

This is going to sound really stupid, but how do I boot with the -v flag? I've never in all my years of using Macs and Hacks had to boot with a flag before, so I've never bothered to learn how to do it. It's a Kalaway 10.5.2 install via MBR, if such information is necessary.

Just dont do all things at one time. ;) Go step by step.

Strangely enough, repairing the permissions solved the problems for me (apart from replacing the only needed kexts).

USBEHCI error: did you put back your original system.kext or have replaced a different kernel?

Dont worry about family specific matching fails. I see it on my powerbook also. :P

The graphics card caused the blue screen problem. I'm able to boot now :D

No, i didn't restore the system.kext, neither the kernel (it's vanilla). I'm guessing i have to do it for the system.kext. Although the laptop seems ok, I don't like that USBEHCI error :P

I can confirm it is possible to apply this update to Dell E520.

Details are posted in my E520 thread.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=762068

MAJOR WARNING:

If you are using my ICH8R patch

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry761938

You must before rebooting after applying the update, copy your previously patched 10.5.2 AppleAHCIPort.kext back to /System/Library/Extensions and repair permissions.

If you don't do this, you will get the waiting for root device error.

Unfortunately, patching the new 10.5.3 AppleAHCIPort.kext does not seem to work, or at least not yet.

I can confirm QE is not yet working with NVInject on E520; going to try the Natit fix some say works.

EDIT -- Natit works.

Hi. For the really noobs, is there an application to do this with just one click. Btw, does this end the days when we could just update from Software Update which the EFI BIOS emulator (PC EFI and the like) were supposed to fix? Could we use Psystar's update for 10.5.3 if it comes out? An idea: insanelymac and other major OSX86 websites could team up with Psystar for their one click updates. Thanks in advance.

Find new problem my sata dvd doesn't work after update? Any suggestion?

Try replacing the 10.5.2 AppleAHCIPort.kext

My SATA DVD drive works, but I had to replace this file to get my SATA ICH8R HDD to work, so that may be why.

I'm getting Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleAHCIPort.

Tried to use the IOAHCIFamily.kext from the 10.5.2 backups, no luck so far.

Any ideas?

Try replacing AppleAHCIPort.kext with the one from 10.5.2

OK, I did the update as described in the procedure in the main post, now my Hack boots in about 5 seconds as opposed to before which took about 30 seconds,

but now it won't shut down through the "Shutdown" option under the Apple menu. DAMN!

Please help! :)

can someone tell me how to actually do the qE thing with .41installer..?I have no idea ..
At least read through the thread if you dont want to search. refer to posts above to see if that helps.
OK, I did the update as described in the procedure in the main post, now my Hack boots in about 5 seconds as opposed to before which took about 30 seconds,but now it won't shut down through the "Shutdown" option under the Apple menu. DAMN!Please help! :o
wow, how come that happen? mine was always 30-40 sec and still is the same. are you sure 5 seconds (from bootloader to appearance of hard drives and main menu items). even mac pro doesnt boot in that time.
The graphics card caused the blue screen problem. I'm able to boot now :DNo, i didn't restore the system.kext, neither the kernel (it's vanilla). I'm guessing i have to do it for the system.kext. Although the laptop seems ok, I don't like that USBEHCI error :)
what exact error do you get for USBEHCI.

OK, maybe 10 seconds, but it is helluva lot faster than it was before - about 5 spins of the "spiral thingy" during the grey boot screen with the Apple logo.

Before it was about 25.

Also, "Restart" got FUBARed too. DAMN!

"failed to load com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI" during -v boot

I plugged in a USB HDD drive and works fine. And all the USB ports are recognized on the System Profiler.

Also I lost the battery indicator from the menubar. I tried to fix it by restoring the old AppleACPIPlatform (or however is called) and ka-bam a kernel panic :)