10.5.3 Update Guide

iSkylla

299 posts in this topic

The guide appears to have worked for my system, but there are some oddities that have appeared afterward. First I'll let you know what my hardware is and then what the issues are.

Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz CPU (It's either a 530 or 531)

Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C Motherboard

4 GB Corsair Value Select DDR2-667

2 80 GB Samsung hard drives. (1 for system the other for Timemachine)

Nvidia 7200 GS 128MB Video Card

So the update went off without a hitch, but after completing the final boot, I went into "About this Mac" and OS X think I now have a 4 Ghz unknown CPU.

For some odd unexplained reason I can't actually enter timemachine anymore. It opens a window with my desktop contents and then it sits there like its frozen until I hit the X in the top left corner of the window. It appears to still do backups though, so I'm not sure what's going on.

I am curious though if I would be able to get some detailed help from you guys about another issue that has persisted from the very beginning. NOTE: I am a noob when it comes to OS X, but not Linux, and I know that these 2 OSes have there similarities, so I shouldn't be completely lost with your guidance.

When I installed OS X, from the Kalyway 10.5.2 disc, I just had it load every kernel available becasue I wasn't sure which one would work properly. Now that I know the sleep and speedstep kernels work, how do I have OS X boot from one of them automagically without having to type it EVERY time?

Thanks guys for all the help you have already supplied and all the help to come!

does it work ? because when i was doing this in the middle of the process showed to me that screen "you have to reboot" your pc, and always when i boot i got the same error..

is there a hope? or do i hv to format?

Regards!

Please guys, need help here.

I've succecfully installed 10.5.2 but updating is not working for me. First tried to update to 5.3 followed rules from first post in this thread, but my computer now only rebooting. Then, I tried to upgrade to 5.5 but same thing happens. Please, anyone with help?

Hi guys, sorry for the question...I'm switching from Leo on my DEll just a week ago and I'm such a dummy...so, here the question: My Leo version is a 10.5.2 Kalyway, it should be possible to install directly the 10.5.5 combo update following this nice guide? ...Or I have to pass by all the previous update version before?

Thanks in advance!

Livius

does it work ? because when i was doing this in the middle of the process showed to me that screen "you have to reboot" your pc, and always when i boot i got the same error..

is there a hope? or do i hv to format?

Regards!

I guess the short answer is that it does work, just with differing issues attached to each persons PC's because of having different hardware. I'm still so new at this that I really don't have any help I can give, sorry.

With the issues I am having, I don't know the first thing I would need to do fix them, so I am going to format/reinstall and try to do an update from 10.5.2 to 10.5.4 and see if things work better, and when more promising info comes out on updating to 10.5.5, I'll revisit it then.

I was just curious if anyone has an easy way of booting with a specific kernel without having to type it's name each and every boot?

Thanks!

I tried this method from Kalaway 10.5.2 and used the netkas method and tried it with 10.5.5 kalaway and all I got when I rebooted was the gray screen. After a couple of minutes I got a no/don't do that symbol (if you know what I mean). I also got this same error when I tried updating with the Mystious C way. Your help is greatly appreciated.

My OS:

Leopard 10.5.2 (Kaliway)

My hardware:

ASUS P5B 4GB ram, Quad Core 2.67 GHz

- - -

Now i have nice system, with all devices working. (exclude Audio-In-Mic.) All software work nice. Some times ago, i try to update to 10.5.5 - i have black screen ("reboot" message), and after reboot i see this message again and again. I reinstall Leopard. Now all my software again installed and working.

Have i`m the way for properly install update 10.5.5 without black screen ? This problem of my P5B motherboard ?

I know others have used this technique to install 10.5.5 successfully. However I tried it from Kalyway 10.5.4 and got a kernel panic while the installer was running. Using -v to boot there was a repeated statement about "No HPET" or something like that (sorry for the lame description). It also seemed to choke on the absence of the AppleCPUPowerManagement.kext.

Incidentally I successfully installed 10.5.5. using Mysticus C's approach but that is AHCI only and wouldn't allow me to boot into XP, which I have on a separate HDD.

GA P35C DSR

Kaly 10.5.4

Q6600 2.4 ghz

GeForce 7300 GS

Kingston 4 GB 800 mhz

SATA HD Leopard/Leopard Test

SATA Raptor XP SP3

Trendnet PCI wireless -N

Yes, I know I'm a noob and this is a TOTALLY noob thing, but I need your help because I'm not as smart as you.

I ran the update no doing the following steps prior to.

I was under the impression that it would be ok.

OBVIOUSLY now my computer is broken because I didnt do this, now my question is, can I fix this at all? if so, can some one help me to do it ? thanks.

[EDIT]

So, I just remembered that I had my time machine connected. Can I use this to restore my Hackintosh?

• 2 weeks later...

same problem here.. silly i am i installed the update as i thought it would be ok. is there any way i can fix my os? i have vista too and with macdrive i can change-delete any file i want on my mac drive, if you guys have any idea i would be very thankfull!!

• 2 weeks later...

can anyone tell me where i can find updates for my 10.5.2 Leo-4-all? i had updated with original update,but it crashed my system...have to reinstall. i'm using Intel E2160 + Gigabyte mobo which perfect rig rite now. thanx 4 any help...

thanx all!

Hi,

Thanks for this Guide.

I did a fresh install of Kalyway 10.5.2 and everything went fine except audio (but I have the patch for this). Audioazalia patch applied.

I downloaded the combo update to upgrade to 10.5.5. Upgrade to 10.5.5 following the guide but now my PS2 keyboard and network doesn't work anymore. What can I do ?

I assume I should find in the Kalyway DVD the ktext for my network and the ps2 fix, isn't it?

And how can I install those ktext?

Thank you in advance

Adrimaxi

• 3 weeks later...

Hi this is a very basic questions about updating, but I can't find the answers after reading several threads on updating from 10.5.x to 10.5.y.

All upgrade threads say i should back up my drivers before starting the update and then replace them after replacing "the line Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext with dsmos.kext". How do I back up my drivers. Do I simply copy them out of the extensions folder and paste them back after the install. Or do I individually reinstall all the kexts needed for my mobo with kext helper?

If someone can help me out with this will be really appreciated. If there is a thread that I missed somewhere that explains this in more detail can someone please point me to it. Thanks. My system profile is in my sig.

I have an Intel Desktop board. Booted off the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD and installed just fine. Updated to 10.5.3 Kalyway Combo Update. Updated to 10.5.4 using netkas guide and Pacifist. Started the 10.5.5 Combo Update using the netkas guide again with Pacifist. About half way through the update, it gave me the grey reboot screen. Rebooted and continuously get the grey screen. I can see the bash screen behind it and it says: Mac OS Version: Not Yet Set

Kernel Version:

Darwin 9.3.0

When doing the 10.5.5 update I ignored the mach_kernel update. Is this necessary for the update to work? I used it when updating to 10.5.4.

System Specs:

Motherboard: Intel D1001GGC

CPU: Celeron D (Prescott)

Memory: 1GB (2x512)

Video: ATI Radeon X200 onboard

Hard Drive: Western Digital 80GB

Windows XP (40GB)

OSX86 - Kalyway 10.5.2 updated to 10.5.4 mach_kernel (currently broken due to 10.5.5 combo update)

Hi!, I have an Asus P5KPL-AM with a XFX geforce 7200 GS. 

And I installed the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd (sse2/sse3) EFI V8. 

Out of the box worked, (or disk), just fine. But then I tried to update It to 1.5.5 following this guide. 

What happens is that the file you mention I have to edit /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1 does not exist. Anyway I try to create It and add the text line, but inmediatly when I save It, It displays an error "bus error" on the screen. 

Any clue?

Hi dudes,

I am new to updating. Never done before.

I have just installed Leopard 10.5.4 9E25 Retail by overcoming all the difficulties. Yesterday I downloaded Combo Update 10.5.5 (601mb) from Apple site.

Can anyone tell me how do I start updating ? Its a .dmg file.

Hoping someone to reply. :angel:

Regards,

3d sugar

I am new to updating. Never done before.

I have just installed Leopard 10.5.4 9E25 Retail by overcoming all the difficulties. Yesterday I downloaded Combo Update 10.5.5 (601mb) from Apple site.

Can anyone tell me how do I start updating ? Its a .dmg file.

Is very good to get used to also read always the main page InsanelyMac.com!!!

Look last post: http://www.insanelymac.com/

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=126268

Good luck.