Need help on Installing Leopard from .ISO

Whodakat

12 posts in this topic

This is my first post in a forum ever, so bear with me please. Quick note however, it is not my first visit to forums, I have researched the following topic for about a week prior to asking, because I didn't want to waste anyones time.

Ok, I know this is the number one question of newbs on every forum, but I'm gonna ask it anyway. I have a Leopard .ISO and I have tried everything to get it to install. Unfortunately, I'm not even close LOL! Ok, I've tried using Disk Utility to restore the image to a FW external drive and to a DL DVD, nothing. When I boot to the FW drive and hit option, I get 2 choices, my HDD and a EMI boot option. This is my GUID partitioned external drive with Leopard.iso restored to it.... when I boot from it, it just takes me to the Apple grey screen and the whirly icon just sits there and spins. When I boot from my DL DVD, I hear it accessing my DVD, but then after about 3 min, it just boots into Tiger.

I also tried converting the .ISO to a .DMG file and restoring it to my FW Drive, same thing......

Any ideas???? Thanks for the help all!

EDIT: Ok, I just converted the .ISO to a .DMG and restored it to my external FW Drive. From the desktop I can click on the "Mac OSX Install DVD" (name of my FW partition with Leopard loaded) and it brings up the normal screen with the OS X installer. When I click on it it asks me for the normal restart. I click on it, hold down the option key, select the EMI Boot drive, and wait..... got the grey screen and waited 45 minutes before I restarted. Got my original desktop back up and now when I click on the "Mac OSX Install DVD" (again, FW drive) it brings up the screen with the installer, however this time when I click on the installer instead of getting the screen asking me to restart it gives me an error and says the following, "The Application 'Install Mac OS X' cannot be used from this volume. To install Mac OS X, please use the application provided on the Mac OS X installation disc.

Another epic fail! What am I doing wrong! LOL!

PLEASE HELP!

iatkos or kalyway weren't meant for real macs....You need a vanilla kernel DVD (or get the real thing) of Mac OS X 10.5.2 to make it work...

Also, if you are trying to mount the .iso to dmg and upgrade that way..make sure its legit...it shouldn't be a hassle to upgrade..unless the image is bad.

ok, if its a real mac and you have a 'real' leopard iso/dmg (and not one meant for a hackintosh), just mount the images, open up terminal and do:

(i don't have access to my leopard dvd or iso from here so i cant give specics, maybe others can chime in).

-open terminal and navigate to your leopard disk in /Volumes

-there should be a 'Packages' or 'Install' directory inside the System or Lirabry folders, just look around in terminal

-once you're in the packages directory, in terminal type 'open OSInstall.mpkg'

you'll then get into a standard OSX installer and asked where to install OSX without rebooting or anything. just choose which partition and make sure its already formated properly.

SG - Thanks for the response. I gave that a shot, winding into the System folder on the mounted ISO through the terminal I was able to find the OSInstall.mpkg file. I tried opening it and it gave me an error that said can not open OSInstall.mpkg.

Does that mean I just have a bad image?

Thanks again for the help!

yeah, it probably means the image is bad. can you paste the exact message you get and what command you're using to open OSInstall.mpkg?

if there's anything in the console too post it here.

sg - I took some screen shots, hopefully that will help. In the first 3 post-236592-1212622089_thumb.png, post-236592-1212622130_thumb.png, post-236592-1212622174_thumb.png. I am using the open command on the various files that I thought might start the install process. The first one is open OSInstall.mpkg (the file I believe you were referring to earlier). As you can see it gives me an error.

In the last shot post-236592-1212622222_thumb.png I am showing you the error I get when I try to install Leopard from an external FW drive. I used Disk Utilities to restore the image on to a partition on my drive, and it gave me the error shown in the screen shot.

I was starting to think I just had a bad image, but I acquired a second image and it is giving me the exact same errors.....

Any ideas? Keep in mind that I'm a newb when it comes to Terminal and things of that nature so I could be doing something simple wrong! LOL

And by the way, thanks a lot for the help sg, I appreciate it.

i think its because you're running 10.4 and leopard packages are using a new package format. only thing you can try doing is navigating in the leopard dvd with the terminal and look for the Applications somewhere and try to launch the leopard version of 'Installer.app' using 'open', not sure if it will run on 10.4 tho.

Woot! It works! Not sure what I did different but for some reason it works. I used my FW drive and restored the mounted .dmg file to the Leopard partition. I tried this like a dozen times and it kept giving me the above error concerning not being able to install from this volume.

But it worked just fine the last time I tried.

Ok, dumb question for you. In Disk Utility, under the Restore tab, where it asks for a source and a destination.... I think at first I used the actual .dmg as the source where as the second time I used the mounted image from the .dmg. Could this have made the difference? I'm not sure thats what I did, but its the only think I can think of that I might have done differently.

Any way, thanks for the help!