So my MBP got ran over by a car... (w/ Pics)

30 posts in this topic

So... I was at school and we had a break. So me and my friends went to my friend's house to play smash bros. I decide to take my Macbook Pro with me, even though the room gets locked during breaks, just because I am paranoid of this thing getting stolen. So we get to my car, I set my laptop on my car to move some stuff to my trunk to have room for everyone in my back seats. We all get seated, and off we go to his house to play... with my Macbook Pro on the roof of my car.

So by the time I notice.. the thing is long gone, and I later get a call from my school saying they have found my macbook... And that it appears to have been run over by at least one car.

F*CK

so, anyways, I now have my pancake MBP, which I took to the Mac repair place. they said 1,600 to fix it, or 1,400 if I send it to apple for a "Level 4 Repair"

From what I can see, The display is toast, the bottom case is bent a bit, the top case seems fine. I went to ifixit.com which has instructions to take the thing apart, so I could see hwo bad it was inside. Seems fine actually... aside from the display and the bottom case (and I think the superdrive is toast as well)

So the repair place says that renters insurance apparently covers this sort of thing.. of course I don't have it..

Any ideas on what I can do?

I graduate in two months from college, I should get money for graduation.

I think I will just buy a PC Laptop though, and install OSx86 on it, as that is cheaper and as long as you do it right, nothing is worse. Anybody have a broken MBP with a display and bottom case they are willing to part with?

PICTURES:

post-209484-1211749973_thumb.jpgpost-209484-1211749996_thumb.jpgpost-209484-1211750012_thumb.jpgpost-209484-1211750040_thumb.jpgpost-209484-1211750061_thumb.jpgpost-209484-1211750076_thumb.jpgpost-209484-1211750089_thumb.jpgpost-209484-1211750113_thumb.jpgpost-209484-1211750130_thumb.jpg

We've all done stupid things (I had a pair of shoes on the roof of a car once and nearly lost them). Learn something from it (be paranoid before getting into the car) and get some kind of replacement.

PS--if you're a professional (something) and need a Hack system to do (something), stop right there and buy a real Mac. Don't profit off of this. If you use it at home and stuffs, then get a Hack.

It's a tough decision to make. As the law of averages goes though, something similar is not likely to happen again during your laptops lifespan. So I'd say bite the bullet and get it repaired... and don't bother with an Apple Care plan, not only because of the law of averages but also the repairs should be covered by default anyway.

It's a tough decision to make. As the law of averages goes though, something similar is not likely to happen again during your laptops lifespan. So I'd say bite the bullet and get it repaired... and don't bother with an Apple Care plan, not only because of the law of averages but also the repairs should be covered by default anyway.

There's no such thing as the "law of averages." Just because something has happened once, it doesn't decrease the chance of it happening again. It was an unlikely event to begin with, and it's still unlikely to happen again, but no less likely than to someone who has never had a laptop run over.

Actually GeekofComputers is right. You may want to give that a shot, try calling your Insurance Company. If no luck, then try to add the cost of spares(from iFixit) that you might need to replace and then finally if you are really confident, try repairing that yourself. A MBP is a million times better than any Hackbook. So all the best friend, God is with you, go ahead!!!

It's impressive how intact it still is!

Does it turn on at all? Can you connect to an external display? Is the hard drive still intact?

A car would have rummaged the inside I hardly doubt you can still squeez apple smbos kext out of it if you hooked it upto an different computer running OS X.But all in serious no laptop with osx can beat a mac for the known reason duh.

To the people talking about the insurance thing: First of all, he already said he doesn't have insurance. Second of all, the recommendation to throw it in a river and make a claim on it is a little thing called "insurance fraud." I wouldn't recommend it, especially since the REAL accident would have been covered if he had insurance. That's like 90% of your house burning down, then you burn down the other 10% before calling insurance.

my uncle droped his down a flight of marble stairs, the metal casing popped out like on your picture, this was 8 months ago and he is still using it fine! only problem he has seen is that the charging port is a little stiff to plug in/out

I think that if the cost of the repair costs anywhere near $1400-$1600 its better just to replace the unit. A computer that has seen that much damage and has been repaired may prove to be very unreliable in the future and it doesnt appear to be worth the hassle. That being said, if you are not super concerned with the case being warped, you might try just plugging an external monitor in versus trying to repair everything. My advice would be to sell the system on ebay ($800 doesnt appear outside the realm of possibility) and then buy a new one with your education discount.

EDIT:

Here's another reason why spending $1400 is not really worth it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015YUHF...5743&sr=8-2

You can get a brand new Santa Rosa 2.2 for $1500 after the mail in rebate with free shipping!

If it was me, part it out on eBay. You would be suprised what you can get for parts. A few years back, I parted out my wife's G4 Powerbook and made more money that it was worth put together. Another good place is pbcentral

This tbh is scaring the living {censored} out of me. I'm buying a MBP later this month. :worry:

Try to not run it over with a 4000 lb automobile :|. This is not to mock the OP but it's obviously something to NOT attempt. I treat my Macbook Pro like a baby. I don't believe in buying a hard case but I do carry it around in a protective sleeve for the most part and clean it regularly with the cleaning cloth and some water.

Try to not run it over with a 4000 lb automobile :D . This is not to mock the OP but it's obviously something to NOT attempt. I treat my Macbook Pro like a baby. I don't believe in buying a hard case but I do carry it around in a protective sleeve for the most part and clean it regularly with the cleaning cloth and some water.

Well, I will treat mine like a baby. Also, use Windex, not water. Cleans better and has no bad effect on the computer's shell or screen. :|