Dial-up Speeds While Using Cable

9 posts in this topic

First things first. I have Comcast cable internet. I have my router plugged into it (Belkin G Plus MiMO). Now what my problem is, is I'm getting dial-up speeds. Not when I'm using Safari though. Web pages in Safari load up decently fast. But whenever I'm downloading anything I get anywhere between 10-50kb/s. And the 50kb is only when it's deciding to be nice. When I first got the router set-up and all that, I was reaching speeds of 1mb/s on Transmission. Other than that one time, I've never gotten anywhere close to that again. So what I guess I'm asking is, is there anyway to kick up my speed a notch. Or redirect my speed. Or anything really at this point. It's ridiculous the amount of time I have to wait to get a program or CD or anything for that matter.

First things first. I have Comcast cable internet. I have my router plugged into it (Belkin G Plus MiMO). Now what my problem is, is I'm getting dial-up speeds. Not when I'm using Safari though. Web pages in Safari load up decently fast. But whenever I'm downloading anything I get anywhere between 10-50kb/s. And the 50kb is only when it's deciding to be nice. When I first got the router set-up and all that, I was reaching speeds of 1mb/s on Transmission. Other than that one time, I've never gotten anywhere close to that again. So what I guess I'm asking is, is there anyway to kick up my speed a notch. Or redirect my speed. Or anything really at this point. It's ridiculous the amount of time I have to wait to get a program or CD or anything for that matter.

You either do not have your ports forwarded correctly, see www.portforward.com. Which would also include double port forwarding if your cable modem supports dhcp and sends an internal ip address to your router.

or

You have been living under a rock for the past year or so, and do not know that Comcast severely restricts (slows down) all of its customers peer-2-peer downloading. :|

That's just Comcastic!!!

You either do not have your ports forwarded correctly, see www.portforward.com. Which would also include double port forwarding if your cable modem supports dhcp and sends an internal ip address to your router.

or

You have been living under a rock for the past year or so, and do not know that Comcast severely restricts (slows down) all of its customers peer-2-peer downloading. :P

That's just Comcastic!!!

You don't open your ports in you router by the web interface. So, it could slow down dramaticaly your speed by Transmission.

And second and most possible, Comcast install a new infrastructure to cap and throttle your download and upload speed as ridiculous speed of 1 mb/s in peak hours. Also Time Warner follows the wave and cap his network.

Pray god for hoping find a ISP in our days they don't mess with your cash! :D

BTW, I come from Canada and Bell are business partners of Comcast, so they did the same thing. Bell are DSL provider with not more than a 5 mb/s DL and 900 kb/s UL. NO ADSL at high speed :D . That's very scary. I'm with a cable based ISP and I had 7 mb/s DL and I'm pretty fine and happy :D

You don't open your ports in you router by the web interface. So, it could slow down dramaticaly your speed by Transmission.

And second and most possible, Comcast install a new infrastructure to cap and throttle your download and upload speed as ridiculous speed of 1 mb/s in peak hours. Also Time Warner follows the wave and cap his network.

Pray god for hoping find a ISP in our days they don't mess with your cash! :D

BTW, I come from Canada and Bell are business partners of Comcast, so they did the same thing. Bell are DSL provider with not more than a 5 mb/s DL and 900 kb/s UL. NO ADSL at high speed :D . That's very scary. I'm with a cable based ISP and I had 7 mb/s DL and I'm pretty fine and happy :D

I am with Embarq in Florida. 10 MBPS Down / 896 KBPS Up and they do not throttle my speeds. I get speeds up to 1.2 MBPS Down when turning off my self inflected cap of 500 KBPS Down (I like to have good ratios).

Yea, I know Comcast throttles everything. And I knew what it meant beforehand. But there's got to be a way around it.Yea, I know Comcast throttles everything. And I knew what it meant beforehand. But there's got to be a way around it.

Alright, my cable is just officially {censored}ed up. It's NEVER taken me an hour to download an OSX update.

Sweet, MoC to the rescue yet again. Now just log onto AIM...