What is my best wifi option for tiger/leo?

Warstrong

4 posts in this topic

Hi, love osx and the whole osx86 project...

anyway, I currently have an Asus WL-167g. Under leopard it is really bad (it took some work to get it working in the first place, and then only about 33% of requests went through without failures), and seeing as I've put so much time, money, and effort into getting osx working on my pc I want a fully working wireless adapter! I'm on a budget (guilting my mother into buying me one since she's the reason I need to use wifi), so I think $20 to $40 would be the ideal price range. Over $40 and I'm pushing it. I can use cards of USB or PCI (I think that means all but AGP)

So what are my best options?

thanks macgirl, but I am kinda confused and I just wanted somebody to give me a link to a tutorial or comment on a fully working wireless 802.11G card (PCI/USB) card. There has to be a person on these forums that has a great working out of box wifi adapter. I don't mind going through installing kexts and stuff (as long as I can find them and download them), but I really just want a WOOB (with airport software?) adapter. Couldn't I just buy a real mac airport adapter? Or are those non existent for my PC tower?

bump^^

come on guys, I know there must be a favored wifi adapter (like the favored sound card is the Behringer UCA202, which I bought)

my WL-167g is ralink based, and that is horrible in osx86, so does that mean a lot of ralink-based adapters are going to be like that for me? Please, this is incredibly frustrating and I just want to be sure I'll have good internet soon!

I have a Powerbook G3 with 10/100 ethernet and a CAT5 cable, would it be better to just buy a pci ethernet card (onboard isn't supported) and share the powerbook's connection with my hackintosh? I'd rather just have wifi going though instead of keeping the old powerbook on all the time...