Forcedeth for M2NPV-VM

MGJulius

17 posts in this topic

I recently install zephyroth 10.5.2 on my Asus M2NPV-VM AMD machine and i have everything working but the lan. The forcedeth that came on the dvd doesnt include my device id but when i add it in i get a kernel panic and my system crashes. I've tried all the drivers on this thread http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=12933 and they wont work w/ my device. Now when i installed kalyway there was a newer version called "forcedeth -v" that did work. If anyone knows where to get that online it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

- MGJulius

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Which version of Kalyway worked??? I have tried 10.5.2 from kalyway, leo4all, and zephyroth (all from the bay...) and got nada on my M2NPV-VM's onboard NIC. I think I can get the driver off the install disc you have that works if I can get ahold of the same one. Sounds like that would make us both VERY happy!!

Hi to everyone! Have a problem with Marvell 88E1116 ethernet, motherboard ASUS M2NPV-VM, Zephyroth 10.5.2 Leopard is installed, but MacOS doesn't even see my device, these are only 2 Built-in-COM ports and FireWire port in network system preferencies and nothing else.

So here is my question, what should I do to make MacOS see my network device?

Problem solved! I installed SKGE.kext (added my device ID in info.plist) and my system saw my ethernet controller. But after reboot i've got kernel panic. I've also solved this problem by booting in -x mode and deleting forcedeth.kext and skge.kext. After that I installed nForceEthernet.kext and got my network up after reboot in normal mode, but also had a problem my system hang deadly when I opened a shared network folder, then I just changed the speed of my controller to 100 Mb/s instead of 1Gb/s. Now everything work perfectly!

• 2 months later...

I finally did it!!

I got my Asus M2NPV-VM network interface to work. I use a combination of Forcedeth 0.3 Leopard kext (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=12933) & Marvell 88E1116 Ethernet Controller kext (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73317).

I used Kalyway 10.5.3 Intel/AMD release for my Mac. Here are the steps which I went through to make the damn thing to work.

1. I downloaded the "forcedeth_0.3_leopard.zip" & "nForceEthernetController.kext.zip" kexts from the above mentioned site.
  2. Unpacked the content onto my HDD.
  3. I use the "forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext" & I added "0x026910DE" (under 'IOPCIPrimaryMatch') to both "Info.plist" on the kext file.
  4. I also did the same for "nForceEthernetController.kext".
  5. Started Kext Helper (http://www.cheetha.net/).
  6. Drag and dropped the "forcedeth.kext" to the application, typed in my password & clicked on 'Easy Install'. After running the application the card will be detected by the OS.
  7. After running the kext I rebooted my machine.
  8. Upon starting mid way, I was welcomed with a kernel panic (this is actually good).
  9. Restarted my Mac again & used '-x' switch to start in safemode.
  10. I deleted the "forcedeth.kext" file from the "/System/Library/Extensions" folder.
  11. I started Kext Helper again & dragged the "nForceEthernetController.kext" onto it & clicked 'Easy Install'.
  12. After installation, I shutdown my computer & used the power switch to completely power off the machine.
  13. Waited for 2-3 minutes (I made a sandwich in the meantime icon_biggrin2.gif ) & started the computer back on.
  14. Whaddaya know? I got my ethernet up & running!!

It's been a week since my ethernet started to work & I haven't had any lockups, kernel panic or any of those nasty stuff. :)

Hopefully it's been helpfull & you can finally use your NIC for internet access.

I finally did it!!

I got my Asus M2NPV-VM network interface to work. I use a combination of Forcedeth 0.3 Leopard kext (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=12933) & Marvell 88E1116 Ethernet Controller kext (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=73317).

I used Kalyway 10.5.3 Intel/AMD release for my Mac. Here are the steps which I went through to make the damn thing to work.

1. I downloaded the "forcedeth_0.3_leopard.zip" & "nForceEthernetController.kext.zip" kexts from the above mentioned site.

It's been a week since my ethernet started to work & I haven't had any lockups, kernel panic or any of those nasty stuff. :)

Hopefully it's been helpfull & you can finally use your NIC for internet access.

hey bud...this doesn work for me... tried it thrice.....can you help me...my sys config. is below: ......Plss help me guys...without internet there isnt any use for me to spend on MAC.........thx n advance

Motherboard: Asus M2NPV -VM

Chipset: 6150 Geforce Nvidia

Ram: 2 GB

Display Card: Nvidia Geforce 8600GT

Processor: AMD athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 4800+

Network card: Nvidia nforce

Awesome stuff! But you know, the forcedeth.kext part was completely unnecessary for me.

All I needed to do was delete the existing forcedeth.kext extension (which was preinstalled by my install disc), add the PCI ID to the nForceEthernetControllet.kext, and install the latter kext with Kext Helper.

I confirm that you do need to power off the computer for a few seconds. For some reason, the old forcedeth.kext seems to corrupt the state of the ethernet device, and even once you get a working driver, the ethernet's state is all funky. You need to remove the power so it gets back into a sane state.

• 3 months later...

Hey thanks for the help with that I got it working after I pulled out the power cord! however whener I download anything the whole os locks up and freezes and i have to do a hard shutdown. Can this be fixed? also how did you all get the integrated sound working (when I checked it said it was a soundmax HD integrated) thanks :wacko:

EDIT: Ok scratch the audio I got that working with azalia kext, but the internet will let me surf n such but if I try to download anything even just youtube will make it freeze completely. I checked and the forcedeth kext is deleted. Should I just remove the other nforce kext and retry it?

Thanks

I finally did it!!

3. I use the "forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext" & I added "0x026910DE" (under 'IOPCIPrimaryMatch') to both "Info.plist" on the kext file.
  4. I also did the same for "nForceEthernetController.kext".
  5. Started Kext Helper (http://www.cheetha.net/).
  6. Drag and dropped the "forcedeth.kext" to the application, typed in my password & clicked on 'Easy Install'. After running the application the card will be detected by the OS.
  7. After running the kext I rebooted my machine.
  8. Upon starting mid way, I was welcomed with a kernel panic (this is actually good).
  9. Restarted my Mac again & used '-x' switch to start in safemode.
  10. I deleted the "forcedeth.kext" file from the "/System/Library/Extensions" folder.
  11. I started Kext Helper again & dragged the "nForceEthernetController.kext" onto it & clicked 'Easy Install'.
  12. After installation, I shutdown my computer & used the power switch to completely power off the machine.
  13. Waited for 2-3 minutes (I made a sandwich in the meantime icon_biggrin2.gif ) & started the computer back on.
  14. Whaddaya know? I got my ethernet up & running!!

Can someboday please explain me what to do with step 3. I am a total n00b to Apple OSX. I isntalled iDeneb 10.5.5, and I have a Marvell 88E1116 Ethernet Controller on my motherboard. I opened the forcedeth/build/Release/forcedeth.kext with Finder, and Info.plst with TextEdit (if I remeber the name right...it's a "Notepad") and I added the serial 0x...at the end of the line, and I tried to save, but it won't. How can I save the changes I made to a Info.plst file. Or have I missunderstood what shall be done? ;):)

Holy {censored} im replying to a thread I started 7 months ago o.O

Go to the site here and download the nforce lan kext.

Install it using Kext Helper

It works flawlessly..haven't have had a problem yet.

However if you have a dual-core processor you need to install the voodoo 9.5 kernel or you will get funky mouse activity

MGJulius