10.4.4 or 10.4.5?

2 posts in this topic

I know this isnt one of the worlds greatest debates but Im bored and do have a few questions for answering. I searched and didnt find any definitive answers so Ill ask flat out: 10.4.4 or 10.4.5? I have presently have 10.4.3 on my system and wasnt at all impressed due to serious speed issues, but from what I can tell, Maxxuss has alivieted some of those with specific patches. I have found a 10.4.4 disc apparantly prepatched and its an install and go deal (Cavemonkey50 speaks of it..) but Ive yet to install, just because I was so put off by my first experience with 10.4.3.

I had a popular topic at win2osx regarding the speed issues that wouldnt go away (yes we did everything we could find, you name it we did it, the speed problem wouldnt go away) and I also wonder if anybody that had those previous issues had them go away by using the newer builds of OSX as well.

Also in case my 10.4.4 disc doesnt do the deal, I also have the full Maxxuss patch package (1.0a, I think..) but damn, if it aint a complicated setup, does anyone have a better guide on patching the disc? Something a bit less complicated? Ill have my specs in my signature, if anyone has a system like mine please give me a bit of aid.

Thanks and keep it up guys, your work is most appreciated.

• 1 month later...
I know this isnt one of the worlds greatest debates but Im bored and do have a few questions for answering. I searched and didnt find any definitive answers so Ill ask flat out: 10.4.4 or 10.4.5? I have presently have 10.4.3 on my system and wasnt at all impressed due to serious speed issues, but from what I can tell, Maxxuss has alivieted some of those with specific patches. I have found a 10.4.4 disc apparantly prepatched and its an install and go deal (Cavemonkey50 speaks of it..) but Ive yet to install, just because I was so put off by my first experience with 10.4.3.

I had a popular topic at win2osx regarding the speed issues that wouldnt go away (yes we did everything we could find, you name it we did it, the speed problem wouldnt go away) and I also wonder if anybody that had those previous issues had them go away by using the newer builds of OSX as well.

Also in case my 10.4.4 disc doesnt do the deal, I also have the full Maxxuss patch package (1.0a, I think..) but damn, if it aint a complicated setup, does anyone have a better guide on patching the disc? Something a bit less complicated? Ill have my specs in my signature, if anyone has a system like mine please give me a bit of aid.

Thanks and keep it up guys, your work is most appreciated.

I have an system with I865 chipset, S478 P4 3GHz and reference ATI 9800SE AIW. I tried 10.4.1, 10.4.3 and lately 10.4.5 on this system. 10.4.1 installed and ran fine but due to lack of proper videocard driver is not particularly fast. 10.4.3 I couldn't get it installed. In the end I managed an install if I disabled Hyperthreading on the CPU. Needles to say the machine was so damn slow that I never rebooted after the prior install. 10.4.5 runs very well even with hyperthreading. VGA is supported, audio appears to be supported but I didn' t hear a beep (yet). All in all this build runs quite well on this system. I even managed to sent pictures via my USB bluetooth adaptor (which is in fact a much more pleasant experiance on Mac OS than under Windows XP).

I also work a few days a week for a PC parts distributor and build a test PC with a mainboard with I915 chipset, NVidia GForce 6600, S755 P4 3,2GHz cpu. That system installed all the abovementioned versions without any problems (it's GigaLAN is recognised as 100Mbits but sound did work albeit without volume control). Only snag is the NVidia driver support.

I recently (last friday) build myself a Hackintosh based on the demo-system at work but with a Radeon 600pro. This card worked out of the box (so to speak) since 10.4.3. I also tried a Radeon X800 but that didn't work without a patch. Once pathed QE and CI where functional but an XBench test revealed no performance increase (even with the known tricks e.g. dissable beamsync etc...) so re-inserted the X600pro card.

Anyway I now have a very capable system almost perfectly working for about 950 euro's. That could install without any glitches ANY of the builds I threw at. And with each of the new versions things DID improve on that I915 chipped system.

So if you have the right system (and even if it's not so right like my old S478 P4 with old 865 chipset) I'd definitly install 10.4.5 because that is right now the best which finely support some more ATI-videocards.

If you need a run-down of my system I can provide you with that too :-)

Regards,

EPDM