New Security Update for Intel Macs

cavemonkey50

83 posts in this topic

I applied the patch and killed my system. Luckily I found a way to restore it to functionality without a re-install.

If you just boot in single user mode, and follow Maxxuss directions again under "Instructions (Alternative: Updating directly in 10.4.4)", the system will work fine.

This is nice because I have the new Safari and other enhancements that came with the patch.

I have applied the security patch. 10.4.5 broke like benedict007 said. Went into OS with -v -s and look around in /CoreServices/loginwindow.app. I found loginwindow: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures

loginwindow (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386

loginwindow (for architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc

loginwindow.original: Mach-O executable i386

Copied over original to loginwindow and it was fixed.

Im fixing it now... Are you telling me that just replacing the login window fixes those extensions that failed it load? I'll try that first, what the hell was I thinking installing a 'security update' on something with a kext called 'dont steal mac os'...

Im fixing it now... Are you telling me that just replacing the login window fixes those extensions that failed it load? I'll try that first, what the hell was I thinking installing a 'security update' on something with a kext called 'dont steal mac os'...

replaceing the 4.5 decrypts again does fix it, how ever, when you try and repair permissions on the 4.5 drive with disk utliity when updated it will say disk utility has lost connection to disk something or other, and if you try and create a zip arcive it will close the box and dosnt work......so i had to reinstall completely to fix it hope this helps how ever thats what happens if you update and re run ./replace.sh lol

is what will happen..... you have been warned dont do it

Zips work fine after the re-install, in fact some of my preference panes that crashes system preferences now work. So far, nothing harmed after the install of the patch / reinstall o f 10.4.5.

Zips work fine after the re-install, in fact some of my preference panes that crashes system preferences now work. So far, nothing harmed after the install of the patch / reinstall o f 10.4.5.

if you get the 10.4.5 update-1 working it will morph your system version to 10.4.5 (8H14) so only if you see that you have the 4.5 update-1 working :-p

Ben

I'm seeing 8G1454. Does that mean the security patch didn't install??

Software Update.log:

Description: Software update log

Size: 490 bytes

Last Modified: 3/1/06 11:17 PM

Recent Contents: 2006-02-21 11:03:27 -0500: Installed "iTunes" (6.0.3)

2006-02-21 12:45:53 -0500: Installed "iDVD Update" (6.0.1)

2006-02-21 12:46:21 -0500: Installed "iPhoto Update" (6.0.1)

2006-02-21 12:46:34 -0500: Installed "iMovie HD Update" (6.0.1)

2006-02-21 12:46:45 -0500: Installed "iWeb Update" (1.0.1)

2006-03-01 23:15:19 -0500: Installed "Security Update 2006-001 (Intel)" (1.0)

2006-03-01 23:15:49 -0500: Installed "iTunes" (6.0.4)

2006-03-01 23:17:33 -0500: Installed "iPhoto Update" (6.0.2)

I have applied the security patch. 10.4.5 broke like benedict007 said. Went into OS with -v -s and look around in /CoreServices/loginwindow.app. I found loginwindow: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures

loginwindow (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386

loginwindow (for architecture ppc): Mach-O executable ppc

loginwindow.original: Mach-O executable i386

Copied over original to loginwindow and it was fixed.

I just tried what you said, go to single user mode and replace the new loginwindow with the original in /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS, I'm back to the world of mac. :pirate2:

thanks a lot :(

I just tried what you said, go to single user mode and replace the new loginwindow with the original in /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS, I'm back to the world of mac. :graduated:

thanks a lot :star_smile:

Can you use Disk Utility and extract ZIP files?

can someone please write a small tut on what COMMANDS to write into the single user mode terminal, rather than say "replace this with that"

we don't all know the proper command lines and what not.

the current method of just describing rather than explaining is not very effective, and it will end up creating more threads and more confusion.

so can someone tell me step by step after doing this update what we should do?

I've updated, and replaced loginwindow. I can extract zip files. But when I try and repair disk permissions using diskutility, I get an error!

and you don't own an R34 either. you liar!!!!!

i was detailing an imported R32 yesterday :)

I just performed the Security update + ITunes 6.0.4 via Software Update ..replaced also the Loginwindow from a backup i made before. I

I restarted and had no Problems ..dmg mount works ..zip works.

Systemversion: Mac OS X 10.4.5 (8G1454)

it reports in Profiler.

if you get the 10.4.5 update-1 working it will morph your system version to 10.4.5 (8H14) so only if you see that you have the 4.5 update-1 working :-p

Ben

Thats funny that u say 10.4.5 (8H14) cause mine says after updating .....

Systemversion: Mac OS X 10.4.5 (8G1454)

but i also got a G4 Dual 1Ghz Mac with 10.4.5 and my Powermac says ....

Systemversion: Mac OS X 10.4.5 (8H14)

so either u must have tweaked Systemprofiler it thinks u Run PPC Machine or we are not talking about a Intel based 10.4.5 update here.

Same over here: I don't know where the original poster read "8H14" as system version but after copying over the .original loginwindow System Profiler still reads "8G1454" after reboot???

For the guys and dolls over here not knowing how to do this (careless???) a small step-by-step guide:

- run the Sofware Update

- install the Security Patches

- reboot and use -s as boot option

- to be sure:

fsck -fy

and after this

mount -uw /

- cd /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS

- cp loginwindow loginwindow.backup

- rm loginwindow

- cp loginwindow.original loginwindow

- reboot