8800GT crashing/performance issue

imrazor

8 posts in this topic

To make a long story short, I got tired of my Hackintosh crashing every time I tried to play certain videos. After much experimentation, I had the bright idea of replacing the video card. My XFX 8800GT 256MB, which is great for games, turned out to be the culprit. Once I replaced it with my aging Radeon X1800GTO, the crashes magically went away, plus my Xbench OpenGL score went up by 80 points. What the heck? An 8800GT should crush an old crusty Radeon X1800. Can anyone explain this anomaly, or possibly suggest a way to fix it? The X1800 is OK, but I also use this system for gaming, and it chugs in some games...

maybe try to change your dvi port and be sure it's recognized as 256MB of ram in system profiler and not 512 or something else.

Have a nice day :P

PS : Xbench is {censored} for testing opengl performances, just run some games, the 8800GT is one of the fastest card on OSX.

I realize that Xbench is not the best benchmark available, but I don't know of any other Mac benchmark that measures OpenGL performance (Geekbench doesn't last time I checked.) But the real issue here is a system-wide lockup that occurs when playing videos. I simply can't live with that, as I frequently use my hackintosh for watching and transcoding DVDs and music videos. Has anyone else had such a problem or know how to cure it?

Hi I also recently purchased a xfx 8800GT 256mb alpha dog ed. for my case, everything works fine except i got some rendering glitches with dashboard ripple effect. not sure if others have noticed his kind of situation..

post-197144-1211696537_thumb.png