OpenSUSE Bugfix vote

snakeeyes

43 posts in this topic

That's great! Since when is it online? AFAIK it wasn't there in march or so. I got some friends who will be very pleased for knowing work this repo. Thx for the intel m8.

EDIT:

Looks like the repo has been there for some time. I've just missed it. Sorry for the FUD then.

I don't believe it is quite the same thing. OpenSUSE is a complete desktop OS in its own right.Fedora misses too many features to be a desktop OS, or it needs a lot of extra work.

Of course there are differences, as Fedora AFAIK provides strictly opensource code, where openSUSE is not. Btw, openSUSE would also be much less "desktop" if not third-party repositories like packman would contribute. Nevertheless both so called 'community distros' are in fact company driven and thus the only thing that counts is the (redhat/novell) shareholder value.

But guys don't get me wrong. I still think that openSUSE as for KDE and Ubuntu for Gnome do a great job. They bring MS Windows users to GNU/Linux. Nevertheless for me none of them is suitable anymore. I just dont like beeing labrat for too long.

For example they forgot to provide xfs in one of their kernelupdates, if you updated your kernel, used xfs and the machine wasn't physical avaible to you, you were pretty much {censored}ed.

And I don't see much of a difference between openSuse and Fedora too. They both call themselves community based, but the decisions where to head are basicly made by the companies. Novell and Redhat base their commercial distros on their "community based" branches, so yes in a way the users are just labrats.

In the end it won't matter for new users and if they like it, they should use it. But there is no "best" distribution for various reasons, so please stop calling for linux users when you mean openSuse users. :) And advertising never worked that way. :huh:

For example they forgot to provide xfs in one of their kernelupdates, if you updated your kernel, used xfs and the machine wasn't physical avaible to you, you were pretty much {censored}ed.

And I don't see much of a difference between openSuse and Fedora too. They both call themselves community based, but the decisions where to head are basicly made by the companies. Novell and Redhat base their commercial distros on their "community based" branches, so yes in a way the users are just labrats.

In the end it won't matter for new users and if they like it, they should use it. But there is no "best" distribution for various reasons, so please stop calling for linux users when you mean openSuse users. :) And advertising never worked that way. :P

First of all whether I called opensuse users or not u would have read the thread anyway regardless of being an opensuse user. :huh:

Second, the more people help out the better the release will be and there r some really old linux users here who can identify bugs they think r more critical compared to me and vote for those to be fixed.

Don't people want opensuse 11 to be great, its the only linux distro whose kde 4 implementation is worth using, I mean have u used kubuntu's or fedora's kde 4? Its better those distros stop supporting kde at all rather than make those crappy releases they do every 6 months.

When Novell gives sources for SLED/SLES free like Redhat does so we could have a 'community SLE' in the manner of centos I will gladly again contribute to openSUSE project.

So what u mean is people can't earn a profit anymore of what THEY have made?

This has nothing to do with SLE, opensuse is a community project and its source code is available and u will be directly contributing to that.

Nice try. There are no current patches inside. :thumbsdown_anim:

Now the only thing holding us back from creating a merged OpenSLE distribution (cfr. CentOS) is access to the SLES SRPMs, the SDK SRPM and the SRPMs updates.

First of all whether I called opensuse users or not u would have read the thread anyway regardless of being an opensuse user. :excl:

No, I wouldn't. Would be like looking in a Windows forum. :P And again you decide for others what is a worthy implementation and what is not. Besides I don't use KDE at all. :lol:

Hey no one has forced u to vote, a majority of the people would have opened the thread just to read what it was about anyway.

If I had written "ATTENTION OPENSUSE USERS" I am sure some people would have been interested to know why I am calling them.

First of all whether I called opensuse users or not u would have read the thread anyway regardless of being an opensuse user.

Right. Because all peole want is to read about opensuse. I myself wouldn't have read it.

I am a linux user but I don't use suse yet the title was calling for me, a linux user to find out about suse.

The topic title should reflect the content, not to be a tool to gather views. It's just not right.

It would be some explanation if most linux users would use suse but it's not even the case.

That speaks of self-importance and egoism.

Right. Because all peole want is to read about opensuse. I myself wouldn't have read it.

I am a linux user but I don't use suse yet the title was calling for me, a linux user to find out about suse.

The topic title should reflect the content, not to be a tool to gather views. It's just not right.

It would be some explanation if most linux users would use suse but it's not even the case.

That speaks of self-importance and egoism.

Listen man, can u please shut up? I just wanted as many linux users to vote and that {censored} it, nothing more. I was not trying to reflect self importance or any other {censored}, get it?

You didn't like it, don't vote. Simple as that!

Gentlemen, behave. Everyone has their own favourite OS'es, but there is a *vast* difference between discussion & promotion.

This is primarily an OS X forum, with multibooting of all & sundry OS'es as a secondary consideration.

Platform wars/distro wars are idiotic, and should be beneath us here.

After all, the whole point of this place is to show that you can run whatever you want on your hardware, not to shove your opinions down others' throats, nor to provide a soapbox for promoting what *you* consider the best OS ever.

The point that the topic is mis-titled is well taken, and it has been adjusted. Please stick to the topic from here on.

• 2 weeks later...