Kalyway 10.5.2 Rosetta Fix

baddelini

19 posts in this topic

Hey all.

So I'd been having a problem with my .apps running (notably WoW) and had to do a lot of searching aroudn forums and reading replies to posts to figure out how to get it fixed, so I thought I'd put a post here so if you're having the problem, you have an easy spot to come to fix it.

Basically the problem is with a bad translate file preventing your hackin0sh from reading PPC apps correctly. (At least that's my understanding, I'm fairly new to this)

You can get a new translate file that iSynic has kindly hosted at the following link.

http://hosted.filefront.com/iSynic

Once you have translate.7z downloaded, you need to unzip it to a directory of your choice. For simplicity sake, I unzipped it straight to my "Leopard" drive.

Then you'll need to open terminal and execute the following:

sudo cp /Volumes/Leopard/(your folder, if applicable)/translate /usr/libexec/oah

Press enter, put in your password, and viola! You should be setup up and ready.

i don't get it, why doesnt kalyway just use the normal rosetta stuff? did they try patching it or something? or is it for AMD systems? the unpatched/real rosetta works on intel macs.

i guess that explains why a lot of ppl now don't get working rosetta (since kalyway is a 'popular' distro). its too bad really, the default stuff that comes from apple on the leopard dvd works with hackintoshes.

Odd, I am running Kalyway and the file archived on this thread is the exact same as the one already on my system according to the diff command.

I also have no issues running PPC games or programs, with the exception of Starcraft which just shows me a black screen and hard locks my system. :D

I'm not sure why some Kalyway's users have issues and some don't. In many cases the file seems to get corrupted. I've contacted Kalyway and he was clueless as well. I'll upload an installer tonight that should be more user friendly for you guys.

I'm quite glad you found the file though. That was my intent all along.

Edit:

Rosetta Translate Fix.pkg is the new file to download. It should install the proper file into the proper directory after prompting you for your administrative password.

I've also attached the fix installer to this post.

Rosetta_Translate_Fix.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you guys, this was driving me crazy and it's now fixed thanks to this patch.

To help in finding the reason, I use Kalyway 10.5.2 on two hackintoshes one Intel and one AMD and the problem is only on the AMD. Don't know if this is related.

Even with updating the 10.5.2 AMD to 10.5.3 it didn't worked.

So thanks for the patch iSynic, it was my only way out.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I'm not sure why some Kalyway's users have issues and some don't. In many cases the file seems to get corrupted. I've contacted Kalyway and he was clueless as well. I'll upload an installer tonight that should be more user friendly for you guys.

I'm quite glad you found the file though. That was my intent all along.

Edit:

Rosetta Translate Fix.pkg is the new file to download. It should install the proper file into the proper directory after prompting you for your administrative password.

I've also attached the fix installer to this post.

Thanks for this. I was having a similar problem with iDeneb 1.3 with 10.5.5. Now it's all good.

• 1 year later...
Thanks for this. I was having a similar problem with iDeneb 1.3 with 10.5.5. Now it's all good.

Hi, I am running iDeneb with 10.5.6 on an HP tx2 and having this same problem, all PPC applications just quit when they are opened and I get a 'application has quit unexpectedly. would you like to: ignore report relaunch" dialogue box. I tried this fix and nothing seems to have changed. Any suggestions? thanks!

PS: from terminal, i got this

/usr/libexec/oah/translate

Usage: /usr/libexec/oah/translate [-argv0 <file>] [-b] [-z <file>] <subject program> <subject arguments>

Options:

-argv0

Override argv[0] for subject program execv, execve calls.

-b

Display the current baseline version.

-z <config file>

Config file.

Now, that indicates Rosetta is actually working, right?'