Stability of OS X

12 posts in this topic

Say if I am going to do a human machine interface hardware that need to be controlled by an OS

Say if I need to let a computer or rather OS control a car at 300 mph ...

Can I trust OS X to be behind the wheel 110% of the way ???

Will OS X crack up half way or all the way or not at all ???

Say if I am going to do a human machine interface hardware that need to be controlled by an OS

Say if I need to let a computer or rather OS control a car at 300 mph ...

Can I trust OS X to be behind the wheel 110% of the way ???

Will OS X crack up half way or all the way or not at all ???

If somebody was doing anything that required that much thought I would imagine they would build their own Operating System for the technology.

I would absolutely avoid using anything that relies on a GUI, which rules out OSX in its normal distribution. It's just not necessary for process control situations. Linux is a good choice because you can run a GUI to configure it (if you must) and then back out to pure Unix to run the process interface.

I've had OSX crash on me plenty of times running normal things like Photoshop on a G5 desktop. It's damnedly annoying to see your work vanish, but not mission-critical. For what it's worth, I happen to know that a major chip manufacturer uses Linux boxes for most of its automated production processes in the fab.

Actually if you read Apple's EULA, it's quite disappointing that they tout this lovely OS, only to tell you it shouldn't be used in a numerous number of operations including air traffic control and a few others. My jaw hit the floor.

"

C. Except as and only to the extent permitted in this License and by applicable law, you may not copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, modify, or create derivative works of the Apple Software or any part thereof. THE APPLE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THE OPERATION OF NUCLEAR FACILITIES, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR COMMUNICATION SYSTEMS, AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL SYSTEMS, LIFE SUPPORT MACHINES OR OTHER EQUIPMENT IN WHICH THE FAILURE OF THE APPLE SOFTWARE COULD LEAD TO DEATH, PERSONAL INJURY, OR SEVERE PHYSICAL OR ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE.

"

It's because Apple is a personal computer company, and as such it is forced to accept any kind of interference. Dell computers have the same issues.

BTW, I created the Applescript needed to enable Terminal browsing and disable the Finder at startup. Use System Prefs to enable this application as a login item so it can work its magic. PLEASE NOTE--You might have to enable quit in the Finder menu first through either the Terminal or TinkerTool. PM me for it, as I can't seem to upload it directly from this post.

Ah, heavens, I'll even have a change of heart and release my source code, lol. Fire up Script Editor and paste in the following:

Tell Application "Terminal"

activate

end tell

tell application "Finder"

quit

end tell

Applescript can do almost anything (even convert Word for OS 9 into a command line interface, but I can't remember where that script is).

To enable the 'quit' option in the Finder menu -

In Terminal - as root:

defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -bool yes (enter)

Reboot and Finder now has a quit option in the menu.