NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M on Leopard

b:z

112 posts in this topic

I too am eager for a solution. I will certainly donate to the cause. Give me a paypal address. I will be monitoring the progress being made!

I agree, and to mention again hiqu has agreed to keep is earlier promise of a donation of $200.

Current donations available: $400 + x (x representing an amount from sullx)

Hopefully this doesn't die off again =( I will be truly sad.

I agree, and to mention again hiqu has agreed to keep is earlier promise of a donation of $200.

Current donations available: $400 + x (x representing an amount from sullx)

Hopefully this doesn't die off again =( I will be truly sad.

Guys, I'm ULTRA happy with HP8530w (FX770m) but I'd like to see damn FX570m working!

lastowl - let us know the progress and if you need any help.

I'm pretty hopeless... so I've been spending some time looking up the card, and i came across this by searching the device id of the FX570M (040C)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184224

If you scroll down a bit to the line:

BUT note this very useful list compiled by thorazine74 elsewhere online:
I compiled this list of what NVIDIA GPUs are supported in Snow Leopard 10.6.1 according to kexts,

There is a list of device id's which are supposedly supported by "NVDANV40Hal.kext [v1.6.2.35 (18.6.5f11)]:"

and under "0x040010de&0xfff0ffff: Code:" you can see "040c Quadro FX 570M"

it just means their device ids are recognized by the kexts, so with a proper injector method (kext, efi string, dsdt, chameleon) it may work.

hiqu: Out of curiousity: what did you try in 10.6.1 + to get the card working?

lastowl: we're always here :(

EDIT: also i don't know too much about this, but would this help at all:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/freebsd_100.14.09.html (freeBSD driver for 570m)

Thats a interesting find. I don't remember what I tried on 10.6.1. After all the struggle with 10.5.x, I always removed

NVDAResman.kext after the install.

I guess I could check this out sometime this week? How about 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 ? I'm on 10.6.3 on T61p and 8530W.

BSD: I went that route to see if I can learn anything from BSD driver. no luck . hit the wall as usual.

Thats a interesting find. I don't remember what I tried on 10.6.1. After all the struggle with 10.5.x, I always removed

NVDAResman.kext after the install.

I guess I could check this out sometime this week? How about 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 ? I'm on 10.6.3 on T61p and 8530W.

BSD: I went that route to see if I can learn anything from BSD driver. no luck . hit the wall as usual.

Hmm, too bad about BSD.

I'd think anything above 10.6.1 would have the same dev id's, I think it'd be worth a try since this hasn't really been looked into, maybe there's something overlooked?

I hope so. :P

Hmm, too bad about BSD.

I'd think anything above 10.6.1 would have the same dev id's, I think it'd be worth a try since this hasn't really been looked into, maybe there's something overlooked?

I hope so. :P

hi im still working on it but i dont think it should be a complete rewrite cause the 570m is a 8600m just one is built for direct x while the others is designed for more gerneral gpu processing but it shouldnt make that much different, problem is ive broken about 15 leopard install and another 6 snow leo installs trying to get the correct things working but stay patient i may get it working before i die :D ive got a soft coded kext for it but it kills the system too often, but my solution works in windows converting it from 8600m to fx570m ao its just seeing if itll link up with open gl nativitly,

Something for people to try is using an 8600m efi string or a custom one but just change the naming and use osx tools to enbale QE/CI but do it at your own risk

btw snow leopard is more unstable when its messed with, it doesnt like to be forced :(

hi im still working on it but i dont think it should be a complete rewrite cause the 570m is a 8600m just one is built for direct x while the others is designed for more gerneral gpu processing but it shouldnt make that much different, problem is ive broken about 15 leopard install and another 6 snow leo installs trying to get the correct things working but stay patient i may get it working before i die ;) ive got a soft coded kext for it but it kills the system too often, but my solution works in windows converting it from 8600m to fx570m ao its just seeing if itll link up with open gl nativitly,

Something for people to try is using an 8600m efi string or a custom one but just change the naming and use osx tools to enbale QE/CI but do it at your own risk

btw snow leopard is more unstable when its messed with, it doesnt like to be forced ;)

Great! We're supporting you all the way! Don't give up! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful!!! I am really glad to hear you are still working on it lastowl! There is hope! I will consider trying the 8600m method in a few weeks when my computer is freed up a bit. Let me know if there is any testing we can help you with being that we have the machines.

(FYI, i have a Lenovo T61p with the Quadro FX 570m)

Hi all, any progress on this?

The laptop (T61p) is mentioned in a few places, and although one could upgrade / swap their lan card which is not supported we cannot change the video card on this. Considering the processing power and video card on the T61p I am hoping someone has had some progress on this.

Wish I could help, but based on what I've read it seems to be close to completion and it would take me months to get up to speed with the necessary work. If any of the developers wishes to try things out on this box please let me know (best thing I can do I suppose).

Obviously great work and looking forwards to some "good" news.

another update i'm gettin reports from some people that the 8600m method i mentioned works with full quartz ect, sometimes using osx to enable, but then others are gettin the usual white screen ect

the softcoded driver is loading but no quartz or anything

the hardcoded driver isnt quite anywhere near enough done and kp 9/10th of the time and doesn't work well at all

please people try the 8600m method as with the correct setting it should work, but im still working on a kext and report on here as well your success or failure and the problems with it as it may be an easy fix

another update i'm gettin reports from some people that the 8600m method i mentioned works with full quartz ect, sometimes using osx to enable, but then others are gettin the usual white screen ect

the softcoded driver is loading but no quartz or anything

the hardcoded driver isnt quite anywhere near enough done and kp 9/10th of the time and doesn't work well at all

please people try the 8600m method as with the correct setting it should work, but im still working on a kext and report on here as well your success or failure and the problems with it as it may be an easy fix

Happy to try but I have "no clue" as to were to start. If you could give a couple of pointers on what to do...

(btw, removing NVDAResman, adding NVEnabler and enabling GraphicsEnabler seems to have given a reasonable boost but still not fully accelerated).

Ok so I am looking for the 8600M efi string but cannot find it. Someone has a post/url I can get it from?

Then I assume its a case of setting it via EFI Studio?

Will need a backup plan if all fails.

Happy to try but I have "no clue" as to were to start. If you could give a couple of pointers on what to do...

(btw, removing NVDAResman, adding NVEnabler and enabling GraphicsEnabler seems to have given a reasonable boost but still not fully accelerated).

Ok so I am looking for the 8600M efi string but cannot find it. Someone has a post/url I can get it from?

Then I assume its a case of setting it via EFI Studio?

Will need a backup plan if all fails.

I'm in the same position as you regarding the graphics. I can perhaps help with the backup plan.

The easiest solution I know of is to use an external USB drive, to clone a copy of your OSX installation to it and to make it bootable. This way you can (if you're paranoid about making mistakes) remove your hard drive from your laptop and boot it only off the backup image on the USB drive and start experimenting. If it breaks, simply restore the image again using your working laptop.

The basic procedure:

Obtain a copy of Chameleon RC4 and Netkas's PC EFI 10.6. Create a folder somewhere on your drive and unzip the archives there. You'll need it later to make the USB drive bootable.

Log into your Hackintosh, free up as much space as possible before starting (move data elsewhere). Empty the Trashcan. Then start Disk Utility and perform a Repair Disk Permissions.

Reboot the laptop off an installation DVD, (I think in my case I used IPC 10.5.6 or perhaps Hazard's one, it doesn't really matter which you use).

Instead of installing, start Disk Utility. Now's also a good time to attach the external USB drive which will be reformatted / overwritten. Format it to MacOS Journaled.

Select your Hackintosh system drive in Disk Utility's lefthand pane. Click on File, New, Disk Image from Disk0. You can give it whatever name you like, the "save to" location should be the USB Drive.

Image format - choose compressed

Encryption - None

Save it.

This will take some time to complete depending on the size of your installation. (Better to free up as much space as possible before starting).

Once this is done remove the Installer DVD, boot your working Hackintosh system again. Copy the Hackintosh disk image on the USB drive (the dmg) to your Hackintosh desktop. (You'll obviously need enough remaining space on your local drive for it to fit.)

Now start Disk Utility again in the running system. Click on "Images" in the top menu bar, select "Scan Image for Restore". This will take some time to complete. Once it's done, click on the "restore" tab and click on Image and select the image you just scanned.

For Destination, select your USB drive, drag it into destination. Leave "Erase destination" ticked. The restore operation will overwrite your USB drive with the image you created before. Click Restore.

Once this is complete you'll need to install Chameleon on the USB drive to make it bootable.

Open a Terminal. Type df -k

It should give you a clue what disks are on your system, for example:

/dev/disk0s1 (local harddrive)

/dev/disk1s1 (USB drive)

or whatever.

disk0 should be your local drive, disk1 should be your USB drive.

cd to your chameleon installer files and install boot0 to the MBR of the USB drive:

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1

Install boot1h to the USB drive bootsector:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s1

Copy Netkas EFI boot (NOT the Chameleon one) to the root of your USB drive:

sudo cp boot /the_path_of_your_USB drive (look for whatever /dev/disk1s1 is set to)

Shutdown Hackintosh, remove internal harddrive, reboot with USB drive attached. It should now boot from USB and run the OS off the USB drive. If anything gets messed up during experimentation just restore the image again using the same procedure.

basicaly the methods i suggested was First to use gfxutil to generate you a efi string and try that and possibly use osxtools to enable quartz

second method is to to get an efi 8600 string and modify devids and pci root the the fx570 as they both use the same framebuffer

basicaly the methods i suggested was First to use gfxutil to generate you a efi string and try that and possibly use osxtools to enable quartz

second method is to to get an efi 8600 string and modify devids and pci root the the fx570 as they both use the same framebuffer

First I'd like to up the offer of a working kext/solution for the 570m on a t61p another $50 (making that $550?), been looking for one for a while. Second anyone know where to find an 8600m string, I'll be happy to try that out.

I wish various developers who developed NVInject, NVKush, Natit, NVEnabler and others come together

and work on a single kext and release it to open source.

I'm sure their collective knowledge could result in a single solution for all the Hacintosh graphics problems. None

of their kexts are open source so it is hard to see what they have done and learn and extend it.

I just installed Ubuntu 10.4 which comes with Nouveau drivers for Nvidia. I'm trying to see if I can

learn anything from it to hack mac drivers. Checkout the nvclock utility from their website

which lets you modify the nvidia cards (overclocking, changing ids etc)

Unfortunately, utilities like nvclock, nvflash, and nibitor do not work on the 570m due to its bios structure. I've learned quite a lot over the last few months on this. I was even able to edit my BIOS as to allow the use of an apple airport extreme card to get airport working on the OS X side. I've installed OS X some 30 times to try and repeat the one time I have gotten QE/CI working properly. I've tried all kinds of methods to get it working... editing plist with device ID. Using graphx utility in os x. Nothing has worked yet. I have seen qe/ci work on hp8510w. I'm not sure if there has ever been one instance of it working on a t61p. At this point I don't think it is possible unless someone writes a driver.

edit: 5.12.10 Downloaded and installed iATKOS V7 with Voodoo kernel 9.7 and nvinject 2.1 from the packages VGA section. Now have fully working and recognized 570m with full accel. Doing a time machine backup now to see if I can repeat success with the vanilla kernel.

@splinex i would find it interesting you results aswell as all that it has to do is mistake the 570m for the 8600m cousin and its done but i could never 100% recreate it and it was hit and miss

@hiqu i agree its the problems im having trying to create somthing from scratch but i think it should just be doable by a efi string

i will post and efi string and script to show how i get it nearly 100% soon ill first have to return to my home country then ill do a final check of it before posting :wacko:

@splinex i would find it interesting you results aswell as all that it has to do is mistake the 570m for the 8600m cousin and its done but i could never 100% recreate it and it was hit and miss

@hiqu i agree its the problems im having trying to create somthing from scratch but i think it should just be doable by a efi string

i will post and efi string and script to show how i get it nearly 100% soon ill first have to return to my home country then ill do a final check of it before posting :)

Great news! Can't wait.

Thank you so much for all your progress on the matter.

• 3 weeks later...

on returning home i retested the method and it did work but i tried building an efi string from scratch and it failed to get full acceleration so trial and error with strings depending on larger things

The Method

1. Remove any non standard GFX kexts and enablers including bootloader flags

2. Get an up to date bootloader installed

3. Get a 8600M efi string and make sure the pci root it points to is your FX 570

4. Install the string to the bootloader

5. Reboot computer with string

6. Start OSX Tools and Enable Quartz

7. Restart and it should work, i not try different strings

There is a second method but not recommended or deeply explained

1. Flash your GPU bios with dev ids and sys id to that or the same generation 8600M card

2. Install GPU as a 8600M

3. It should function correctly

this method changes the card into a 8600M in all OS's but can brick your system depending on the way its done and the Laptops Bios

on returning home i retested the method and it did work but i tried building an efi string from scratch and it failed to get full acceleration so trial and error with strings depending on larger things

The Method

1. Remove any non standard GFX kexts and enablers including bootloader flags

2. Get an up to date bootloader installed

3. Get a 8600M efi string and make sure the pci root it points to is your FX 570

4. Install the string to the bootloader

5. Reboot computer with string

6. Start OSX Tools and Enable Quartz

7. Restart and it should work, i not try different strings

There is a second method but not recommended or deeply explained

1. Flash your GPU bios with dev ids and sys id to that or the same generation 8600M card

2. Install GPU as a 8600M

3. It should function correctly

this method changes the card into a 8600M in all OS's but can brick your system depending on the way its done and the Laptops Bios

can you post the efi string (8600) you used for this experiment?

• 2 weeks later...
edit: 5.12.10 Downloaded and installed iATKOS V7 with Voodoo kernel 9.7 and nvinject 2.1 from the packages VGA section. Now have fully working and recognized 570m with full accel. Doing a time machine backup now to see if I can repeat success with the vanilla kernel.

Mhmm, I wonder if this works with the 140M...