NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M on Leopard

b:z

112 posts in this topic

does this mean it won't work with 1680x1050x32?
It works with other resolutions too. Thing is you can't set/change it in preferences later due to the removed kext. There's nothing actually you could do wrong with setting the "Graphics Mode" only, in worst case it will fall back to unaccelerated mode but still gives your native screen resolution. I'd even suggest to try that this works properly before you attempt to get the 570m working. If your machine hangs doing the latter you can still boot into single user / terminal mode and manually make changes.

It works with other resolutions too. Thing is you can't set/change it in preferences later due to the removed kext. There's nothing actually you could do wrong with setting the "Graphics Mode" only, in worst case it will fall back to unaccelerated mode but still gives your native screen resolution. I'd even suggest to try that this works properly before you attempt to get the 570m working. If your machine hangs doing the latter you can still boot into single user / terminal mode and manually make changes.

I would give it a go, only I don't have OSX installed, I'm on Win7 right now and I'd rather not partition/install/mess with kexts/ etc.. unless it's 100% gonna work.

Also, to clarify:

You managed to get it detecting the card, and having Quartz Enabled? As in a transparent menu bar?

Can you maintain the transparent menu bar? Or do you have to mess with kexts after each restart?

Thanks

You managed to get it detecting the card, and having Quartz Enabled? As in a transparent menu bar?

Can you maintain the transparent menu bar? Or do you have to mess with kexts after each restart?

Snow Leopard doesn't show anymore what acceleration mode is enabled, but from the tests I mentioned in my posting (some worked, some not) I assume that 2D is accelerated (and measured by XBench) but OpenGL acceleration is not available. I do not have transparent menu bars nor the ripple effects, not sure what part is responsible for that.

Snow Leopard doesn't show anymore what acceleration mode is enabled, but from the tests I mentioned in my posting (some worked, some not) I assume that 2D is accelerated (and measured by XBench) but OpenGL acceleration is not available. I do not have transparent menu bars nor the ripple effects, not sure what part is responsible for that.

The note below is just to confirm the behavior of Snow Leopard on top of t61p/nvidia 570m.

I've installed and updated a t61p (nvidia 570m) to 10.6.2. By installing "NVEnabler 64" and renaming NVDAResman.kext to NVDAResman.kext.old, I can run NeverBall/NeverPutt but "glxinfo" complains when run in a terminal. There seems to be partial 3D functionality--as well the 2D response is much better when the OS recognizes the 570m.

The menu bar is opaque--and It reboots fine.

Perhaps, someone who knows how to hack these kexts can actually get it to work properly/completely.

NVDAResman.kext has been the problem always with any method (injectors, efi , dsdt etc). As soon as

you remove that kext, the system will boot.

$100 for anyone who fixes this!

I'll double the $100 and give $200 to anyone that gets it working properly!!

BTW I've 570 desktop board and it works perfectly fine with stock kexts using efi string

or any injectors.

It is something about 570m or the lenovo design. I heard HP 8510 ( I think) with 570M works

fine as well.

if someone is willing to be ready to test and provide the requirred information i should be able to write it off an similar kext

PM me back if someone can help

hey sure. Let me know what you need (ioreg etc). I can as many as hours you want on testing.

This is strange... I was able to get the 570m working with ci/qe on my os x install. The next time I installed (and the last 4-5), I have had no success in using the very same method which got it working. It seems (and yes I know it sounds strange) that if the OS detects it correctly, it is a fluke that it happened at all. I have been using nvinstaller with the vanilla 256mb kexts, and OS X still detects it as a 512mb card.

This is strange... I was able to get the 570m working with ci/qe on my os x install. The next time I installed (and the last 4-5), I have had no success in using the very same method which got it working. It seems (and yes I know it sounds strange) that if the OS detects it correctly, it is a fluke that it happened at all. I have been using nvinstaller with the vanilla 256mb kexts, and OS X still detects it as a 512mb card.

Give more details on your installation (distro, leopard or snow etc) and why did you install so many times in the first place?

T61p?

I just wanted to add that the iPhone simulator seems to work for simple OpenGL ES rendering on the t61p w/ nvidia 570m and snow leopard. I haven't tried anything complicated yet but so far so good. If you want to start hacking on the iPhone the t61p/570m may be good enough.

The note below is just to confirm the behavior of Snow Leopard on top of t61p/nvidia 570m.

I've installed and updated a t61p (nvidia 570m) to 10.6.2. By installing "NVEnabler 64" and renaming NVDAResman.kext to NVDAResman.kext.old, I can run NeverBall/NeverPutt but "glxinfo" complains when run in a terminal. There seems to be partial 3D functionality--as well the 2D response is much better when the OS recognizes the 570m.

The menu bar is opaque--and It reboots fine.

Perhaps, someone who knows how to hack these kexts can actually get it to work properly/completely.

I just wanted to add that the iPhone simulator seems to work for simple OpenGL ES rendering on the t61p w/ nvidia 570m and snow leopard. I haven't tried anything complicated yet but so far so good. If you want to start hacking on the iPhone the t61p/570m may be good enough.

OpenGL works but it uses software rendering only, that is there is no hardware acceleration and it is very slow.

Hp 8510w notebook w/(yup)quadro 570m

Retail 10.5.6 install with boot-132 until system is fully updated to 10.5.8...

I use Uinstaller at this point to use chameleon and also use gfx kexts for 8600gt 256 mb...

After reboot nvinject 0.2.1 (nvinstaller v52 vanilla)

This method has worked once for me to enable full qe/ci with all resolutions. I had to take the install off to set up a dual boot with win 7, and since I have not been able to get acceleration working since.

It looks like; and I am speculating here, there is a specific hardware address hook that OS X is looking for and this method sometimes hits it. Not sure what the probability is here, but it seems to be the case, since I have been using the exact same install procedure, but have had no luck since (so the probability of it happening is probably low). I was also able to update online with this notebook (twice) through apple update, but now it hoses my OS X install. If I use the downloadable combo updte and stay disconnected from the internet it works just fine. Damn I have EVERYTHING working now except gfx accel. So Apple is obviously active in keeping up with the hackintosh scene. If someone can confirm whether online update works for themwith this model let me know. If Apple has put an end to updates for the 8510w, then I would not have put it past them to modify firmware in this notebook somehow, as to not allow gfx hardware accel. But this is a good conspiracy theory too. I am more inclined to think that the hardware hook just sometimes works. Cheers!

HP 570m is different than LENOVO T61P 570m, no one knows why.

Hp 8510w notebook w/(yup)quadro 570m

Retail 10.5.6 install with boot-132 until system is fully updated to 10.5.8...

I use Uinstaller at this point to use chameleon and also use gfx kexts for 8600gt 256 mb...

After reboot nvinject 0.2.1 (nvinstaller v52 vanilla)

This method has worked once for me to enable full qe/ci with all resolutions. I had to take the install off to set up a dual boot with win 7, and since I have not been able to get acceleration working since.

It looks like; and I am speculating here, there is a specific hardware address hook that OS X is looking for and this method sometimes hits it. Not sure what the probability is here, but it seems to be the case, since I have been using the exact same install procedure, but have had no luck since (so the probability of it happening is probably low). I was also able to update online with this notebook (twice) through apple update, but now it hoses my OS X install. If I use the downloadable combo updte and stay disconnected from the internet it works just fine. Damn I have EVERYTHING working now except gfx accel. So Apple is obviously active in keeping up with the hackintosh scene. If someone can confirm whether online update works for themwith this model let me know. If Apple has put an end to updates for the 8510w, then I would not have put it past them to modify firmware in this notebook somehow, as to not allow gfx hardware accel. But this is a good conspiracy theory too. I am more inclined to think that the hardware hook just sometimes works. Cheers!

I asked him. Here is the response

"I just purchased MacBook Pro, so not very active anymore. But I got everything related to display working with Chameleon 2 RC4 and used that EnableGraphics=Yes or something like that during boot. No custom kexts no injectors. All vanilla"

He has 8510w and it runs on 10.6.2 according to his footer.

@spline

You may want to ping "Oun" in the following thread

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=200863

It appears he is running 10.6.2 (RC4) on 8510w.

I think lot of people said FX570m works fine on HP8510w. The stupid IBM/Lenovo must have made

some ugly hack.

I've started work on the kext since i have to code blind its not a quick progress, stay tunned

Good luck! You will need lot of it! And, I will (hopefully others too) pray that

you succeed!! :D

Yes. It seems that ppl have had a little more luck with the 570m in snow leopard than leopard itself. The user, "Hex Hex" wrote a kext package for the 8510w (leopard) which was supposed to enable qe/ci, but it doesn't work on my notebook. Possibly could be a BIOS issue since I have the latest rev, and I am thinking that something was changed in the DSDT tables. I really haven't tried downgrading to older BIOS yet, but it may be worth the effort. IMHO, the T61P 570m probably isn't that much different. It seems that both cards have split video BIOS between the system BIOS and the card itself. People have dumped BIOS from both machines and found the vid BIOS was incomplete. I would be more inclined to believe that the issue lies more in the DSDT table.