MSI Wind - Best solution for osx86 on a sub-notebook?

108 posts in this topic

I'm going to get the MSI Wind as soon as I can, and I'll start trying to install OSX. I already have the original brazilmac method, plus kalyway, iatkos, and leo4all so I'll see which one goes the best. I'm not expecting great performance, I just want it as a lightweight email, websurfing device. My macbook pro 17" is too big and my ipod touch is too small!

Hello stokedonlife02, please share your installation method on MSI Wind! Thanks b4 :D

I am interested in this project. I am thinking Tiger might be a better choice for installing OS X though with the limited power of the Wind. Installation might be easier with an HD image since the Wind contains no optical drive.

Off the bat, I think OS X should be easy to get up and running, but it could be very difficult to get all the hardware fully functioning. I look forward to seeing what's possible, but it looks like we've got a few weeks to wait still.

If the wi-fi card doesn't work, I will swap it with one that does. Based on the specs and research, everything "should" work for leopard. I would upgrade the ram, and get rid of a lot of apps I wouldn't use on a machine like this. I expect Leopard to not be super fast, but able. I would also give Tiger a try too if for whatever reason Leopard doesn't work as I hope.

If you planning to maximize the RAM , it's better to using Leopard, since Tiger is 32 bit operating system , there will be unusable RAM space in Tiger. Yup, I hope Leopard "able" to tun on Leopard. What about the sound card, does anyone know what sound chipset is using by MSI Wind?

1, Tiger also has 64bit elements

2, Leopard is not a true 64bit OS - the kernel is still 32bit

3, both can access over 3.5GB of RAM using PAE

4, its highly unlikely that thing has two RAM slots or support for over 2GB of RAM anyway

Hey everyone.

Well it is completed, I have built up my new hackintosh light from an Intel Box945gclf 1.6ghz Atom based motherboard, inside an apex MI-100 mini-itx case. I'm using 2 gig ram, a 320 gig sata hd, a pioneer 111d ide optical drive and a linksys wmp54gs for wireless.

Total cost for the case, psu, motherboard and processor was 136.00 after taxes and shipping cdn. I had the extra parts laying around.

Video is onboard GMA 950, performance is great, definately up in the realm of a high end mac mini. Installed using Kalyway 10.5.2, up to date but I havn't installed .3 yet.

I have plenty of build pictures I will up as soon as I get them off my camera.

Audio is ALC662, works in / out just no volume control (thats ok, because my speakers have it)

Playback of 720p and 1080p mkv, not so much, even 720p with vlc stops and skips, xvid/divx no issues and can play hd qt4/mp4 without any stuttering. I'm going to tune the machine a bit and see if I can get the extra horsepower out.

If there is anything specific people would like me to test, let me know, so far everything is working except I have to boot with a disk in the drive.

Running the latest Chameleon, all installed software is working as it should.

More to come, needless to say I'm VERY pleased with this build.

pix

The Intel 945GCLF mini-itx / atom based ' little falls ' motherboard

imag0006sd4.th.jpg

installing Kalyway 10.5.2

img0377wi2.th.jpg

Side shot of the MI-100 case

img0382dg5.th.jpg

On the desktop :D everything works :P

img0380az7.th.jpg

Front of the case with the motherboard not yet installed, both are very tiny.

imag0012bm2.th.jpg

Onetrack, I'd love to know how that Atom system does at converting MKVs into h.264 MP4 files if you are doing that at all. I've been looking to build a cheap, low-power box that I can put under my desk and just leave it crunching away at converting HD stuff for my Xbox360 and maybe downloading torrents. I could build a full system for about $200 on Newegg based on that board. Also, is the on board ethernet recognized? I know you're using wireless but I'd rather have it hooked into my network with a hard line.

Yes indeed the onboard ethernet is realtek 8139 based, it was picked up automatically during the installation. I will convert a few x.264 mkv's to h.264 mp4's for you tonight and let you know how it does. I think it should be pretty decent, sure can't argue about the size.

Onetrack, I'd love to know how that Atom system does at converting MKVs into h.264 MP4 files if you are doing that at all. I've been looking to build a cheap, low-power box that I can put under my desk and just leave it crunching away at converting HD stuff for my Xbox360 and maybe downloading torrents. I could build a full system for about $200 on Newegg based on that board. Also, is the on board ethernet recognized? I know you're using wireless but I'd rather have it hooked into my network with a hard line.

Update:

ok..

I don't think i'd use this computer for that purpose.

I tried to convert a 4.7 gig x.264 using visualhub on standard settings to h.264 - transcoding would be about 100 minutes / hour of video or thereabouts. I got 24 megs in 5 minutes done, quality was great and playback at full screen was smooth.

I then tried a conversion from an episode of the daily show, in standard definition .avi to h.264 - my guess is about 60-70 minutes for that.

This would be an ok playback unit, but I don't think you want to live long enough to encode your collection using one.

Update:

ok..

I don't think i'd use this computer for that purpose.

I tried to convert a 4.7 gig x.264 using visualhub on standard settings to h.264 - transcoding would be about 100 minutes / hour of video or thereabouts. I got 24 megs in 5 minutes done, quality was great and playback at full screen was smooth.

I then tried a conversion from an episode of the daily show, in standard definition .avi to h.264 - my guess is about 60-70 minutes for that.

This would be an ok playback unit, but I don't think you want to live long enough to encode your collection using one.

That actually might be OK for what I have in mind. My collection is already converted I just need something that can crunch away on anything new I acquire without taking up my main system. I'd basically only be doing on average one or two files a day but this would allow me to have my main system (which is a power hog) turned off more often. Plus anything I need right away I can do on my main system. Thanks a ton for the test!

yeah in that case it'd be a perfect little low power system for you then

That actually might be OK for what I have in mind. My collection is already converted I just need something that can crunch away on anything new I acquire without taking up my main system. I'd basically only be doing on average one or two files a day but this would allow me to have my main system (which is a power hog) turned off more often. Plus anything I need right away I can do on my main system. Thanks a ton for the test!

As far as I can tell the MSI Wind is exactly the same hardware, except it has GigE ethernet and an Atheros based wireless card. Beyond that, they are the same.

WHICH MEANS !!!! OSX should run quite well on the msi wind...

/me want.

//slashies.

Onetrack, is any of the hardware besides the Atom the same on your machine as the wind?

Holy {censored} this is awsome!!!! I was planning on getting a wind anyways, but now that i see i'll be able to make it a hackintosh i'd head out and buy it right now!!!

oh, and onetrack how easy was the install? Did you have to do much tweaking afterwards? Does it run smooth enough for basic use in leopard?

PS: for those of you who care, i've read this will come with two RAM slots..so there is the possibility of 4GB of RAM!

AFAIK The MSI wind has a ' hard ', non removable 1 gig on the xp version and 512meg on the linux version onboard, with 1 free dimm socket, supporting a maximum of 2 gig.

I didn't really have to tweak much of anything, pretty standard install, running the vanilla 9.2.2 kernel, simple installation, selected the onboard gma 950 drivers, realtek lan and the broadcom driver for my wireless card. - pretty much a straight up install of kalyway 10.5.2

The only thing bugging me atm is that I need to boot with the disk in the drive, working on that, its probably a simple setting, bios is really limited though on this machine. I used it all day long at work tho and not a hiccup - runs very very well.

Still, I want a MSI Wind :) either that or the ECS G10IL, they both have the same chipset, not some slow via.

This weekend I'll venture into 10.5.3 land - my main system (shown in the photos in the Soprano RS case) is .3 now and it was a simple install, but i hear that gma950 and .3 don't mix well. Hopefully this weekend I can get a customized slipstream working.

For now, its great.

Holy {censored} this is awsome!!!! I was planning on getting a wind anyways, but now that i see i'll be able to make it a hackintosh i'd head out and buy it right now!!!

oh, and onetrack how easy was the install? Did you have to do much tweaking afterwards? Does it run smooth enough for basic use in leopard?

PS: for those of you who care, i've read this will come with two RAM slots..so there is the possibility of 4GB of RAM!

The only thing bugging me atm is that I need to boot with the disk in the drive, working on that, its probably a simple setting, bios is really limited though on this machine. I used it all day long at work tho and not a hiccup - runs very very well.

That could be a problem on the wind. :)

AFAIK The MSI wind has a ' hard ', non removable 1 gig on the xp version and 512meg on the linux version onboard, with 1 free dimm socket, supporting a maximum of 2 gig.

I didn't really have to tweak much of anything, pretty standard install, running the vanilla 9.2.2 kernel, simple installation, selected the onboard gma 950 drivers, realtek lan and the broadcom driver for my wireless card. - pretty much a straight up install of kalyway 10.5.2

Still, I want a MSI Wind :) either that or the ECS G10IL, they both have the same chipset, not some slow via.

This weekend I'll venture into 10.5.3 land - my main system (shown in the photos in the Soprano RS case) is .3 now and it was a simple install, but i hear that gma950 and .3 don't mix well. Hopefully this weekend I can get a customized slipstream working.

For now, its great.

WOW! thats awsome, I am 100% sure that i'm getting a wind now! however, that whole "booting with the disk in drive" thing does seem to be a little bit of a problem on a wind :)

(and i agree...via processors suck)

So, speaking as someone who's been looking around for a subnotebook to turn into a HackBook, it sounds as if the Wind could genuinely be what the poxy MacBoook Air should have been?

Count me in once they're out. Have played with an eeePC, but the screen is too awful and the hardware too fiddly for OSX86.

Ref the boot issue, can't you just dual partition it with the world's smallest FAT partition, have an MS bootloader in the MBR, and point it to a chain0?

Hey folks,

Great news for you, first off I solved the booting with the cd option, it seems this motherboard doesn't support GUID, but when i formatted with MBR it booted right up.

Also, I've successfully upgraded to 10.5.3 this morning

lilhax:~ lilhax$ uname -a

Darwin lilhax.local 9.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.3.0: Fri May 23 00:49:16 PDT 2008; root:xnu-1228.5.18~1/RELEASE_I386 i386

Everything is still working, all I had to do was reinstall the ALC 662 HD audio patch

My upgrade method that seemed to work the best was to split the upgrade into 2 parts, upgrade using the JAS 10.5.3 combo update, reboot and then install the Kalyway 10.5.3 vanilla kernels patch. It boots right up without any issue. The GMA 950 video supports full QE/CI and multiple resolutions (the only artifacting so far is within firefox 2.0.0.14 where the mouse icon will switch to a hand over a clickable link and then stay on screen for a couple seconds. This is the only program I've seen so far with the artifacting and it is gone using firefox 3.0 rc2.

Also, before I did the upgrade, but after I got to the desktop with the kalyway 10.5.2 install dvd I installed the Chameleon EFI v1.0.10.

I need to change AppleSMBIOS.kext or edit it, as about this mac shows a 1.6ghz unknown processor, but thats editable text so I can change that to anything.

For now everything on this computer is working correctly and upgrading to 10.5.3 was a breeze. - I think that we will have no trouble at all getting this installed on the MSI Wind once its out.

/want.

atom_osx.tiff

Great stuff! Bring on the Wind!

(maybe you could get working on some howtos, to prepare us all for when we buy our Winds!)

You might not be that interested in going down this road, but if you're not sick of playing yet, I'd be really interested in knowing how a Tiger install would go. I actually prefer Tiger to Leo (haven't upgraded on my main MacBook), and I actually think the reduced footprint would be a better bet in a lower spec'ed machine.

That sounds like an awesome project for you Loccy :)

I havn't installed tiger in awhile, and yeah I agree as it has a lower footprint and less resources. But take it from someone who won't use anything but nlited tiny xp releases this leopard on the atom is very useable.

Just need the proper amount of ram for it.

Great stuff! Bring on the Wind!

(maybe you could get working on some howtos, to prepare us all for when we buy our Winds!)

You might not be that interested in going down this road, but if you're not sick of playing yet, I'd be really interested in knowing how a Tiger install would go. I actually prefer Tiger to Leo (haven't upgraded on my main MacBook), and I actually think the reduced footprint would be a better bet in a lower spec'ed machine.

Although I have a weakness for ancient things, I'd like to

add some infos for our fans of the metric system ;):P

Display: 25.4 cm Widescreen (1024x600) LED

Dimension: 26cm x 18cm x 1.9cm ∼ 3.15cm

Weight: 1.043kg

I don't know the equivalent to gill, pints or oxen but I thought this

might help. (Hopefully my conversion is correct) :lol: