Apple Introduces Intel Mac Mini

Swad

154 posts in this topic

Apple today introducted a new Mac Mini with an Intel processor. Steve claims it’s “4.8x to 5.5x faster.” It is available with either an Intel Core Solo or Core Duo chips.

$599.00

1.5GHz Intel Core Solo processor

2MB L2 Cache

667MHz Frontside Bus

512MB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)

60GB Serial ATA hard drive

Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Apple Remote

$799.00

1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor

2MB L2 Cache

667MHz Frontside Bus

512MB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)

80GB Serial ATA hard drive

Double-layer SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Apple Remote

Also released were a few iPod cases and a new "iPod Hi-Fi" stereo, which Steve apparently said was so good he's going to give up his stereo. :D We'll see.

Were these the "fun" products you were expecting?

indexports20060229.jpg

And, integrated GMA950 graphics...

I wish it was less, but I don't think the price is -that- low on the CPUs at this point, and on the top end one, that is a lot of stuff in a very tiny form factor (nothing else w/that in that size - 6.5" square , 2" in height")

I have the feeling that the biggest introduction will be the new iBooks when they come around - seems like that's what a lot of us are waiting for...

Overall, though, this seems like a much more attractive Mac Mini than those in the past.

Edit: Pics of the Hi-Fi are up... interesting to say the least, although it doesn't look as groundbreaking as I thought it would. http://www.apple.com/ipodhifi/

:) It stills a joke to me all apple products... unless you have lots of money and are used to dispose electronics every now and then. Id rather get computer parts and update regularly in case it is requiere for me to update and not just because something new exists.

Thanks for the information though,

In the wise words of James Blunt:

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.

You're beautiful, it's true.

I saw your face in a crowded place,

And I don't know what to do,

'Cause I'll never be with you.

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.

You're beautiful, it's true.

There must be an angel with a smile on her face,

When she thought up that I should be with you.

But it's time to face the truth,

I will never be with you.

:)

So much for the 'Apple will never use integrated intel graphics" arguments. Yeah, that's right - they jump in bed with intel, only to not use any of the resources.

Pffffthhhh!

Who said that? I guessed they'd use GMA950 anyway. We can hope the new iBooks have x1300 or something though. Maybe the low-end iBook will have GMA950, though, who knows.

These boxes get pricey if you add more RAM or storage... since they are dual channel memory, if you go with 512 and then decide to upgrade later you have to buy 2x512 or 2x1GB and DIY.

GMA950 Graphics, no included consumer word processor, and its more expensive. I am not exactly impressed.

Pricing is off the chart. The MacBook and iMac are in-line but the mini price point is not competitive. Let's see what AOpen sells it's core duo for.

I´ve no problem with GMA950 for the Mac Mini. It will do exactly what you expect from this "machine". I was just hoping for another GFX solution und thus more drivers (e.g. for my old ATI Mobility M9... I dont need fancy stuff, but Video Overlay would be a nice thing :)

BTW... I think the price is quite competitive, if you keep the software you get in mind.

cheers!

I was also hoping for more media capabilities, such as the rumored video distribution system.

I do suppose it's cool that it plays nice with all the rest of your computers (read: Macs) on the network, but that's done easily enough anyway.

pretty dissapointed in the graphics dep. The fact that a discreet video solution is ALWAYS better 'cause leaves the Main Mem for what it is for... it's just insane, man.

REALLY DISSAPOINTED. Although the CoreDuo is a step in the right direction, the whole package looks hotter and all, but still you can build better, and that's what always make the difference between Clones and Macs. I hope SJ gets it and release a MacOS Retail. We ain't want the machines (not this one)

BTW... I think the price is quite competitive, if you keep the software you get in mind.

cheers!

I was thinking more relatively on how they priced the iMac and macbook vs the PC world. They are price competitive.

The mini isn't. At least they could have put more memory and HD space for the same price. They do have digital out sound which wasn't on the original iMac. Don't forget that you have to buy a monitor, mouse, keyboard and speakers to go along with it.

It is hard to find a similar form factor to compare to though. It is a very nice machine but not worth the price.

How poor are the new graphic abilities compared to the old? Can they at least support the full functionality of OSX?

Don't know much about graphics systems if someone feels like going through a brief tutorial, as I am considering a purchase... But want a worth while product.

Also, because of the integration, would 2gb ram help a great deal in this department?

Thanks for the help.

Using the core chips is what's causing the price hike i think - apple could have used a Celeron D in there without any major heat issues and since PPW doesn't matter on a desktop it would have lowered the price. But they seem to be locked in to using cores - probably to get the hefty discount steve likes to think he's owed.

I can't wait to see a analysis of this baby to find out what Apple's profit margins are on it.

How poor are the new graphic abilities compared to the old? Can they at least support the full functionality of OSX?

Don't know much about graphics systems if someone feels like going through a brief tutorial, as I am considering a purchase... But want a worth while product.

Also, because of the integration, would 2gb ram help a great deal in this department?

Thanks for the help.

GMA950 is better than the previous part. It won't matter too much, every configuration has dual channel memory which is what matters for integrated graphics. But, definitely 1GB minimum.