Creative SB [Live!, Audigy, Audigy2, EMU10kX eDSPs] OSX Driver info here!

Oxtie

850 posts in this topic

Hi

While I'm very happy with development of osx drivers for Audigy cards, I still miss some stuff present in my old EMU card.

I have EMU 0404 in my old Windows machine, that I would like to use in my current or next Hackintosh machine. I've red the list of cards supported by KX, and it states it's unsupported.

I'm curious if there are any plans to support this card in the future, since its based on the same chip as some of the Audigy2 cards (10k2). I would like to use its non-CPU dependant hardware multichanel filters/effects for music producing.

Are there any chances for that, Eugene?

Regards

Hi

While I'm very happy with development of osx drivers for Audigy cards, I still miss some stuff present in my old EMU card.

I have EMU 0404 in my old Windows machine, that I would like to use in my current or next Hackintosh machine. I've red the list of cards supported by KX, and it states it's unsupported.

I'm curious if there are any plans to support this card in the future, since its based on the same chip as some of the Audigy2 cards (10k2). I would like to use its non-CPU dependant hardware multichanel filters/effects for music producing.

Are there any chances for that, Eugene?

Regards

That list is kind of little outdated (in the sense that mentioned Emu series are partially supported in OSX). DJ_Stick was suppose to update that page (didn't get time probably). Not sure about specific 0404 but E did say you have to boot into WIN (with kX driver on it) and then reboot to OSX so firmware gets loaded. In another thread, he mentioned doing something about it.

If you seek answers personally from Eugene, this is not the thread (as he finds it difficult to keep track of two threads) therefore you're requested to go @ Driver Heaven thread (EDIT: The next post surprises me as always :))

Anyone having kernel panics, please check Eugene's latest words on this subject...

Gonna sound like a broken record here, but the distortion bug remains.

Uninstalled 1.1b0

Installed 1.1b1

Rebooted

Checked kextstat to ensure right version loaded

Distorts after 1min

I have HALLAb up and running and an open IO Cycle Telemetry window. Then I'm lost. How do I capture output?

1. You need to do this quite fast after you boot your Mac, to ensure you capture correct packets before audio becomes distorted

2. If you are running leopard, go to terminal, 'cd' to the folder where HALLab is located, then cd contents, macos, and 'sudo ./hallab'. In Tiger, (at least, for me) it is sufficient to start HalLAB from Finder

3. Launch iTunes, start audio playback

4. In terminal (you will need to open another window, because the first one is in use by HALLab) type "ps -A" - this will show you the list of processes

5. Find 'iTunes' there - don't miss it with iTunesHelper, you need 'iTunes' :( note process ID (a number on the left)

6. Type this number in HALLab telemetry window and press 'enter' - it should update its window and say 'iTunes' above the process ID

7. Now, select 'Every Half Second'

8. HalLab should start capturing timing information.. wait some time... re-select 'off' -- browse the data you received - there should be no red lines, and the very right column ("Zero") should contain some numbers, but not always (sometimes) : )

9. Save HALLab output (for instance, 20-30 lines)

10. Now, wait for audio to become distorted

11. Click 'Clear data' in HALLab and choose 'Every Half Second' once again. Wait 1-2 minutes

12. Select 'Off', browse the IO data you just got

13. Check if there are any red lines

14. Check if 'Zero' column still contains some numbers (approximately every 10th or 20th line, or even less regularly)

15. If you get red lines, expand one of them and copy its information

That's it. Well, a kind of black magic, but I don't have 10k1 cards here... So I cannot test this myself.

Also, have a look at Console's system.log - anything strange? If kX driver finds any errors, it will say something with '!' marks.

E.

Wow! Just found this out! Great, great news. Installed it on my first hack (running 10.4.11), wich is a Pentium 4 HT on a P4P800 asus mobo with a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS that was unused for about one year now. It not only works but it sounds way better than my onboard sound. Thanks A LOT Eugene for creating this driver.

This kind of thing that makes the osx86 scene so great! I was getting used to the fact that I would never use my Audigy anymore since it wouldn't work on MacOsX. I was using only it's built in firewire input that works oob in tiger. Now I can use all the features including it's main feature: sound!

thanks again!

hey guys any chance on getting the midi working? :censored2: i know it's too much to ask, but i remember when i was on tiger i used the built in badaxe 2 sound and i had this audigy 2 card plugged in (for my xp partition), Tiger didn't recognize the card but it did recognize the midi port which i used with my keyboard in Reason 4. I move to leopard 2 weeks ago, and it doesn't seem to see the midi port. Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Thanks Eugene !!!

Tried out your driver yesterday and it works perfectly on my Audigy 2.

Still using Tiger 10.4.11 because of no current working driver for my videocard x800xt.

I'm really happy, before I always had to switch the cable plug from my Audigy to my motherboard's internal audio when I was using Vista/MacOsX.

grtz

antarcticP

Audigy 2 Zs

Sound works great, 5.1 works. in Reason can connect all channels..

but !! same times system freeze with sound looping.. then must press Reset.

1.1 b0 no freezes..

if exist any process to debug the freeze tell how.. and i do it..

ok i had to stop using my audigy 2. the sound worked great, the speaker test showed all the speaker working

i played music for 10+ minutes and it didn't degrade, then i was about to install logic and my screen scrolled to grey and said i had to reset. I have never gotten that before in tiger or leopard, and i know the only drastic thing i change was using the audigy 2 ( PCI kX SB0090 10k2 [1000])

ok i had to stop using my audigy 2. the sound worked great, the speaker test showed all the speaker working

i played music for 10+ minutes and it didn't degrade, then i was about to install logic and my screen scrolled to grey and said i had to reset. I have never gotten that before in tiger or leopard, and i know the only drastic thing i change was using the audigy 2 ( PCI kX SB0090 10k2 [1000])

:D Did you reinstall old drivers (1.1b0) and tried all this again??? Plenty of people here are saying 1.1b0 was more stable then 1.1b1. Either of ways, I'm sure E is aware of the kernel panics and doing his best to solve this problem...

:( Did you reinstall old drivers (1.1b0) and tried all this again??? Plenty of people here are saying 1.1b0 was more stable then 1.1b1. Either of ways, I'm sure E is aware of the kernel panics and doing his best to solve this problem...

ok ill give the old drivers a spin.

Edit: ok i's been almost a day and no problems. :) now just to wait for midi support :P

Hi, in my P4 10.4.11 Hack with v1.1b1 I got random kernel panics when using itunes. I also got some weird random bird sound that I can't imagine where it was coming from.

Switched to v1.1b0 to see if it runs better. Besides that it sounds great!

thanks again.

Not work :dev:

Sep 12 21:40:24 localhost kernel[0]: kXAudioDevice[0x6a6c900]::init: --- driver start-up, version 1.1b0

Sep 12 21:40:24 localhost kernel[0]: kXAudioDevice[0x6a6c900]::initHardware(0x63b1b00)

Sep 12 21:40:24 localhost kernel[0]: kXAudioDevice[0x6a6c900]::free()

Sep 12 21:40:24 localhost kernel[0]: kXAudioDevice[0x6a6c900]::free_all() - iKX interface already closed

Sep 12 21:40:24 localhost kernel[0]: kXAudioDevice[0x6a6c200]::init: --- driver start-up, version 1.1b0

Sep 12 21:40:24 localhost kernel[0]: kXAudioDevice[0x6a6c200]::initHardware(0x63b1b00)

Sep 12 21:40:24 localhost kernel[0]: kXAudioDevice[0x6a6c200]::free()

Sep 12 21:40:24 localhost kernel[0]: kXAudioDevice[0x6a6c200]::free_all() - iKX interface already closed

finally that it works. I have tried to change the Pci of the rabbet and the system has seen it and loaded in the kernel. We see the hour after how much storce!

A small guess of the situation...

For Eugene, the high priority was distortion and he tried to fix Audigy (which worked in 1.1b0 but didn't for Live) when he tried to fix Live (10k1) distortion, it messed up Audigy fix (probably a universal solution that did not work for Live nor Audigy). Now, after some feedback from Live! users, the next fix is expected to be another test build (which ?may? fix both). To some point is appears that maintaining a singular driver for all 10k1 and k2 is getting difficult (since its a new platform and both probably requires some unique individual settings)...

If you look at nVidia, they created nv40 then nv50 etc (although main drivers were distributed in single installer package). Over here, there is no individual engine (10k1 and 10k2) only one engine for both hardware :) Trying to make both work with one engine is a hard work (to make it successful) or an easy way out...

I can be crazy ofcourse.... :unsure: