Proud PPC User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts

MacOS X Tiger - Intel/PPC Single User Version - £89.00
MacOS X Tiger - Intel/PPC 5 User Family Pack - £129.00

Windows XP Home Edition Single User - £218.95
Windows XP Pro Edition Single User - £259.95
So, pay less than a ton to get the up to date MacOS, or for more than twice the cost, get the 5 year old Windows version.

What would you take?
Oh, one last thing.

" IBM also jumped on the Linux bandwagon over its own AIX version of Unix."

AIX was developed BEFORE Linux. It was a variant of System V Unix that ran on the IBM servers.

VERY stable OS!!!

Mac OS X, unlike Windows doesn't have a "home" version. It has a server version, but there is Windows Server. This is the main reason why people tend to compare OS X to XP Pro (because both aren't crippled like XP Home is). Vista is coming soon, though, and it will offer itself in five versions (stupid stupid stupid) instead of just one full featured version.

AIX was also in the old Apple Network Servers. Mactracker rules!!!

Joel Johnson

Joel Johnson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I think most buy a Mac for the OS and not the Hardware.

Interesting observation. My theory is that most consumers don't mentally separate the hardware from the OS and look at them rather atomically. I also think that licensing the OS and APIs would be damaging to their hardware sales. If you could [legally] run OS X on a $300 PC then would you prefer to run it on the $300 hardware or offical Apple hardware? (of course given the nature of this forum I think I would find a lot of people willing to run OS X on cheap hardware instead of on a real Mac ).

Joel Johnson

Joel Johnson

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

And I wish people would stop saying Apple is in the "overpriced" or "luxury" or whatever niche. Stop saying that! Have you people actually compared prices recently? The new Intel Macs are equal with all of the vendors when you actually match up all of the features including software, and they are only a little more expensive when not including software.

I don't know, on the surface level they do look more expensive. I suppose it is hard to compare though. I compared a Mac Mini to a low end Dell machine. On one hand the mac looks significantly more expensive (especially when you consider that I have not priced a display). But I also know some one could argue that the mac does not take up as much desk space and so on...

This is what I just looked at:

Single Core Mac Mini
1.5 GHz
1024 MHz
80 Gig
DVD+/-RW
Keyboard
Mouse
Remote
(no Display)
$877

Dell E310
Single Core
2.8 GHz
1024 Megs
17-inch flat display
80 Gig
Keyboard
Mouse
(No Remote)
$589

Beringer

Beringer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Here is a more likely explanation, and my personal favorite:

http://dvorakisnuts.org/blog/ :)

Posted Image

ampTK

ampTK

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
I like that explanation too. (I already posted a link to that on page 1)

Edit: No, I didn't, it was on a very similar thread on other section

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy