• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

nate256

nate256

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:running Cross Country &amp; playing Baseball<br />Computers and modding PSP's...
I hear the 360 one works, but is the video good, and does it have built in sound?
those are the two things im looking for
not choppy video
and built in sound that will work is OS X (iChat mainly)
i have Macam too

rockia

rockia

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I had the one called RocketFish worked before, but later on after the update, it's hard to config.

Now I have the one called Gear Head, it's built for Mac, and it's working out of box.

Ongeloof

Ongeloof

Irrevocably Insane

• Donators
  • 1,007 posts
  • Interests:Your moma.
I hear, on the grape vine, that Apples iSight camera, both the external and built-in models, are great for OS X

Think Mark

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
The FireWire iSight is really a good one, it works fine even on Windows.

aduffbrew

aduffbrew

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
I'm curious. Why doesn't Apple offer the iSight anymore? I realize the iMac and MacBook lines have a built in device but what about those who purchase the MacPro or Mini? Apple's cinematic displays don't have anything built in either. I'd think there would still be a market for them.

3vj3

3vj3

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

I'm curious. Why doesn't Apple offer the iSight anymore? I realize the iMac and MacBook lines have a built in device but what about those who purchase the MacPro or Mini? Apple's cinematic displays don't have anything built in either. I'd think there would still be a market for them.

I think I read somewhere that it wasn't up to environmental standards so they couldn't sell it (in Europe at least)

booger_sniffer5000

booger_sniffer5000

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:OSx86 (duh)
I have a Logitech webcam and its great. (And cheap too.)

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
I also have a Logithech (not a cheap one) and is not so good.

booger_sniffer5000

booger_sniffer5000

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Interests:OSx86 (duh)
I should have explained a bit more. The picture is pretty bad but its recording is smooth. But for the price its not half bad.

Chrysaor

Chrysaor

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
Is there a way to reduce webcams resolution system wide?
I can do it in Skype by editing setting files, but Photobooth, iChat etc have low fps due to high resolution.

fr3ak!

fr3ak!

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Logitech Quickcam 9000 work good for all (quicktime, photobooth, ...),
except if there is not enough light, framerate is dramaticaly reduce.

Detosx

Detosx

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
I use a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 but as far as I know there is still no driver for Mac and so the frame rate is horrendous. I dual boot with Windows, though, so not a big deal. If I didn't it would have been a serious waste of money. It got great reviews everywhere but... the picture is good rather than excptional. I concede that I was expecting great.

fyr

fyr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

I use a Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 but as far as I know there is still no driver for Mac and so the frame rate is horrendous. I dual boot with Windows, though, so not a big deal. If I didn't it would have been a serious waste of money. It got great reviews everywhere but... the picture is good rather than excptional. I concede that I was expecting great.

You dont need a driver for the mac. This one is a UVC cam. For windows, spacialy VISTA, dont use the included CD. Just put your cam on and do a windows update. That gives you the righ driver. All other methods fail.

khaled_acmilan

khaled_acmilan

InsanelyMac Sage

• Retired
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Programming,Graphics and football.
i think my iSight (Built-in) in my iMac is so Enough to me with a good Light.i heard that iSight is a very good webcam too i means (Built-out).

Good Luck,

Khaled

Core24All

Core24All

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
The Creative Live! Cam Optia AF is the best webcam out there. It beats the external iSight.

You wont regret that purchase.

KeriJane

KeriJane

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Hello.

My vote is for the now discontinued external iSight.
This thing is a work of art as well as a perfect functioning webcam.

Here's the details:

It has only a 1.3 MP sensor, but it's a camera grade 1/4" CCD instead of the vastly inferior (and cheaper) CMOS sensor used in virtually every other webcam. (including high-end ones such as the Optia) Also, it is an ACTUAL 1.3MP instead of the common "Effective" or "Interpolated" MP rating.

The optics appear to be GLASS camera-grade pieces. Totally unlike my previous eyeball toy webcams plastic lenses (one cheap, one premium).

The autofocus and image processing are all done onboard and require no software to operate. Most PC compatible webcams run the AF and processing in software. This is something to watch out for when buying a webcam for use with a Mac. (or any system running OSX)

It's got a totally cool on/off switch with a built-in and highly visible white privacy shutter to let you know when it's turned off. The only thing that's remotely comparable are the webcams with a much cruder sliding door cover/switch.

It's a Firewire interface. Firewire carries its own dedicated hardware while USB tends to delegate some function to software. This can result in smoother operation which is probably why Apple chose FW instead of USB.

It has a premium dual-element noise-suppressing microphone. Again, it's done in the hardware and doesn't require additional software processing.

It's (mostly) METAL. It has an excellent tilt/swivel thing. it looks cool. Nobody has made a Webcam before or since that has the whole look and feel thing down like the iSight.

The ONLY problem:
It works entirely TOO WELL! AAARRRGGGGHHHH! I look like THAT? :) Now I gotta do my hair and powder my nose just to chat!
Can't they give me a "Logitech/Creative/Microsoft emulation" mode so as to make my face an indistinct blur?

Requires 15 minutes prep time to chat,
Keri

Sample picture:

Attached Files

lashcar

lashcar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My vote for the best webcam was definitely isight! But now that it is no longer available I am equally as impressed by Agent V3 webcam (looks and behaves like iSight)

They have two cams in the range Agent V3 for Plug and play for OSX 10.4.3 and later or they have the fantastic Special Edition Agent V3 for anyone running OS 10.2-10.3.9. This is great for some.

Check out how fantastic it looks here Just like iSight!

Threepwood

Threepwood

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
KeriJane: OMG, a dalahst!

nashlib

nashlib

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i have V-GEAR VX6 ON LEOPARD 10.5.2

I INSTALLED "MACAM" DRIVER SUPPORT

AND NOW THE WEBCAM WORKS LIKE A CHARM

HOPE IT IS OF HELP TO OTHERS

http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/

THE ABOVE LINK HAS SUPPORT FOR MOST OF THE CAMS FOUND IN THE MARKET
HATTS OFFFFF TO THESE GUYS
NOW I HAVE A FULLY WORKING HACKINTOSH

Intel Core 2 duo
4 gb ram
LG combo dvd drive
inbuit sound card Realtek HD ALC 888
TP link Wireless wifi card
Intel GMA 950 grafix card
Benq monitor (19')
2 hard disks

im lovin it

MacMeGosh

MacMeGosh

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
It all really depends on your matching hardware I believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy