[HowTo] Native FrontRow without any illegal hacks? It is easy :)

Kyrie1965

379 posts in this topic

how do we add our own movies to Movie and TV Shows section of FrontRow. i added in I Tunes but only a couple became available.

also, photos get viewed in slideshow mode, can we view them like in iphoto

I think you'd have to use a program like Lostify or Atomic Parsley to set the Season # and Episode Title. They're both free if you interested.

Yup, you need Open GL (i think...).

Before i installed a compatible kext for my gma900 with cg and qe, frontrow just went to a white screen. Now, I have no problems.

So if you don't have Core Graphics and Quartz Extreme, you're out of luck.

-Urby

Ok I just realized my Vaio came with a remote control and a usb infrared receiver. In windows, the usb infrared receiver was detected as an HID-keyboard type device. Using an app called Girder, I was able to reassign the keys to use Media Center. Up until then, the remote's buttons basically did nothing.

Now I switched into OS X and when I press each button, it registers gibberish text. Is there any app that can assign the buttons to actually do something useful, such as controlling Front Row? Obviously OS X is detecting the device "out-of-the-box" but it seems it doesn't know what to do with its signals.

EDIT: I just used FrontRowPass.kext with the infrared reciever's vendor and device ids. It works great, but I'm still looking for a way to actually use the receiver to control Front Row.

does this hack work on the newest version of frontrow?

yes it works with 1.2.1. I have a minor problem with Front Row. Divx files work in QuickTime with the Universal Codec but do not work on Front Row. Im using an AMD 3800x2 How can this be?

I'm thinking of actually going out and buying an Apple remote. The vaio infrared receiver is working fine, but my sony vaio remote is sending gibberish to it. As long as it picks up infrared signals, it should technically work. Plus, the real remote would feel more authentic I guess. Hmmm...

And yeah, it works beautifully with the latest Front Row. Just download, use Pacifist to install, and get the kext set up. Then reboot and enjoy!

This is also handy because some don't have access to the original Front Row installer from the 10.4.4 dvd. You really just need the updater from Apple's site to install.

Hello,

i need your help! I installed Front Row with Pacifist and put the kext into the Extension Folder! I can load it with success. But I can not see Front Row at the Systempreferences! When I try to start the app by hand, it does not start.

Do you have any suggestion to fix this?

Tried the x-box HID driver. It didn't work, even when replacing the vendor and device IDs with my "Sony IR Receiver" (the name as it appears in System Profiler.)

It can't be too hard to make a quick mock-up driver and preference pane. I have no idea where to start, but the concept seems simple enough.

http://www.osxbook.com/software/iremoted/

this communicates with a real intel mac's built in IR and lists the buttons pressed, i have looked at alot of third party applications (unfortunately most suffer difficulties as they are not universal and therefore suffer problems communicating with the keyboard and or install incompatible drivers) but i think it might be easier to produce something that maps an xbox's pad to frontrow first of all..

the source isnt included btw...

back to the mapping issues though:

http://homepage.mac.com/walisser/xboxhiddriver/

this is where i beleive sampson got the source to compile an intel mac kext - is anyone able to compile the pref pane (source is inclued in the download btw - to avoid confusion)

also another possibility is usb overdrive perhaps? - this i have been told is universal although i havent worked out how to map pad combinations to get frontrow up and running.

(my advice is to use the xbox IR and xbox remote, not mix and match other remotes just yet- to avoid confusion.)

hmm

perhaps this could help:

http://www.osxbook.com/forums/viewtopic.ph...2c58ce804bdf0c8

the iremoted deamon communicates with AppleIRController.kext, can that kext be edited to include the intel compiled xbox HID driver?

more info:

http://www.osxbook.com/book/bonus/misc/frontrow/

btw i post this as i cannot do much myself and merely wish to aid someone willing - mainly as i think its a gret idea for others to benefit from

I installed it, step by step! The kext has been succesfully loaded but i can't see Frontrow at the Systempreferences Screen! Why? I used the 121 Update! I opened it, checked the first package and pressed install. Do you have a tip?

Version: 30.07

Bus Power (mA): 500

Speed: Up to 1.5 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: Logitech

Product ID: 0xc512

Vendor ID: 0x046d

I'm having problems converting my product id and vendor id. These are my specs can anyone tell what the numbers will be. (when I try to do the vendor id I get 0x46d, there is no way I can get that 0 in there) Plese help!!!