[HowTo] Native FrontRow without any illegal hacks? It is easy :)

Kyrie1965

379 posts in this topic

doesn't work for me... kextload loads fine

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext appears to be valid
kextload: loading extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext
kextload: /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext loaded successfully
kextload: loading personalities named:
kextload:	 Front Row Pass
kextload: sending 1 personality to the kernel
kextload: matching started for /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

But nothing happens or appears in keyboard prefs.

double checked all ID's and it should be fine. I've got a logitech mx700 cordless

(seen as USB BUS->USB Receiver (PID=0xc50b VID=0x046d)

Also tried logitech premium optical (PID=0xc03e VID=0x046d) with no success

Hi All!

I have found this on the torrent site, you can use FR in a very easy way:

Download(search on TB)for "Front Row withouth minimize "Bug"

Follow the instructions and you have frontrow up and running in 2min.

This is the instruction:

This is yet another Front Row "release" - YAFRR

The only thing different about this release is that you will be using launchd instead of WindowServer to launch Front Row.

Here's the simple How-To:

Note: You might want to backup any files you are replacing.

1. Open the "Install Files" folder and place the files in their respective directories.

DVD Player in /Applications

Front Row in /System/Library/CoreServices

com.apple.frontrow.plist in /System/Library/LaunchAgents

Note: You might want to set the permissions of Front Row to root/wheel. I did it, but only cause everything else in CoreServices has the same permissions. It might not be necessary.

2. Restart

3. Open System Prefs -> Unversal Access and "Enable access for assistive devices"

4. Use LoadFR to bring up Front Row. You can place this anywhere you want. You might want to set it up with a key manager like Xkeys.

--------

The simple reason for this release is that I noticed that when Front Row is loaded via launchd, the minimize bug is MOSTLY gone. I say mostly because there is one small issue. If iPhoto is launched while Front Row is up then when you exit Front Row iPhoto will not be able to minimze. That is the only app that I had trouble with.

1. Open System Profiler and and check your USB Mouse ProductID and VendorID (Hardware > USB).

2. Convert ProductID and VendorID to Decimal (Calculator > View > Programmer).

3. Open FrontRowPass.kext > Contents > Info.plist. And change idProduct and idVendor (decimal value).

4. Copy FrontRowPass.kext to /System/Library/Extensions

5. In Terminal

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

6. Test it with

sudo kextload -v System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

6. Remove Extensions.kextcach and Extensions.mkext in /System/Library.

7. Reboot.

8. Hooah, comrades! Native FrontRow on your Hackintosh :).

Great job Kyrie1965. It is working well for me.

Hi All!

I have found this on the torrent site, you can use FR in a very easy way...

Thanks but do this tut if you want to run dvd player and FR in PPC mode. I have not confirmed these steps either.

Domino: Romeo is an app that is very much like Salling clicker...but FREE! I don't think it has all the features of Salling Clicker but I currently use it with my Powerbook and Sony Ericsson T610 to control Front Row...works great!

Thanks for the info. I have tried to get romeo to work with 10.4.4 and my T610 a few weeks ago but no go. it seems that the BT driver or the BT connector for the application doesn't want to play fairly. I have already set up the trial version of Salling for both my T610 and XDA IIs, both work perfectly. I just can't get Romeo to play nice. Maybe i'm missing something? I also don't see Front Row plugin on that site. So I guess I have to download individual plugins and control Front Row that way. That's if I can get Romeo to work right.

Your Bluetooth hardware seems to have been disabled, probably for power-saving reasons. Please switch it on and try again

Thanks for the info. I have tried to get romeo to work with 10.4.4 and my T610 a few weeks ago but no go. it seems that the BT driver or the BT connector for the application doesn't want to play fairly. I have already set up the trial version of Salling for both my T610 and XDA IIs, both work perfectly. I just can't get Romeo to play nice. Maybe i'm missing something? I also don't see Front Row plugin on that site. So I guess I have to download individual plugins and control Front Row that way. That's if I can get Romeo to work right.

Yes,

I made the same experience. It seems that non-universal binaries can't handle the BT. Unfortunately, there is

no other alternative to salling clicker atm.

Yes,

I made the same experience. It seems that non-universal binaries can't handle the BT. Unfortunately, there is

no other alternative to salling clicker atm.

From what I understand, this is a no go with a PS2 Mouse ? :hysterical:

You need any HID device (USB: mouse, keyboard, remote control, etc.). But this driver is only for mouse (it is easy to change it to any type).

SystemUIServer checks HID devices for valid property to enable Front Row.

PS/2 mouse is not HID device.

You need any HID device (USB: mouse, keyboard, remote control, etc.). But this driver is only for mouse (it is easy to change it to any type).

SystemUIServer checks HID devices for valid property to enable Front Row.

PS/2 mouse is not HID device.

Ok, thanks for the tip !

xtraa, domino, Romeo is Universal Binary now!

I made some changes in source and compiled it. It have many bugs, but works well with Front Row (Options button in Romeo does not work, do not press it, lol :angel: ).

I've tested it with SonyEricsson T630. Works well! Ultra cool. Hooah, comrades :)

This version have support for Front Row. To install, just unzip it and delete "com.arboreal.romeo.plist" (if you have it) in User Preferences Folder.

http://www.yuriev.info/Romeo.zip

Hi, that tutorial is very nice. :afro: Thank you.

But I'm having a problem :/ If I try to kextload, it won't do. Here is what is says:

sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext
kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext appears to be valid
12FrontRowPass is not compatible with its superclass, 14IOUSBHIDDriver superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext
load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

Can anybody help me with this problem, please?

ProdID:0xc505 VenID:0x046d / 10.4.5

Thanks a lot in advantage. :)

Greetz

enzo

Hi, that tutorial is very nice. :) Thank you.

But I'm having a problem :/ If I try to kextload, it won't do. Here is what is says:

sudo kextload -t /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext
12FrontRowPass is not compatible with its superclass, 14IOUSBHIDDriver superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext
load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/FrontRowPass.kext

Can anybody help me with this problem, please?

ProdID:0xc505 VenID:0x046d / 10.4.5

Thanks a lot in advantage. :)

Greetz

enzo

What's your platform? PowerPC or Intel?

If you are on PowerPC it will not work. It is not Universal Binary kext (with same error).

If you are on Intel, do you use kexts from old system (not 10.4.4 and 10.4.5)?

Thanks for the fast reply.

I used the IOUSBFamily.kext from 10.4.3 because it's needed for my camera.

Now I replaced only the IOUSBHIDDriver.kext with the 10.4.5 in the IOUSBFamily.kext

So my problem is solved. :)

But thanks to you.

greetz

enzo

Btw. My system is running the Intel arch.

xtraa, domino, Romeo is Universal Binary now!

I made some changes in source and compiled it. It have many bugs, but works well with Front Row (Options button in Romeo does not work, do not press it, lol :blink: ).

I've tested it with SonyEricsson T630. Works well! Ultra cool. Hooah, comrades :)

This version have support for Front Row. To install, just unzip it and delete "com.arboreal.romeo.plist" (if you have it) in User Preferences Folder.

http://www.yuriev.info/Romeo.zip

It works with T610!! Great, awsome, teriffic job Kyrie!! 11_2_104.gif I already said this but this application deserves it's own thread. Many people are looking for this app.

Is it me or is the trailers' server really down ?

Yes, it's down or we have LS configured the wrong way :)

I have a Dimension 8400 I am currently working on restoring a new install of 10.4.4 on (10.4.5 Pukes with my ATI Hardware...). I am using a Dell wireless USB Keyboard and mouse (Logitech hardware...). I have done everything correctly (I am almost sure... your instructions were thorough...), but FrontRowPass is not loading at startup, and thus FrontRow can't find a remote. Do you thinlk this could be a problem with my keyboard and mouse being wireless? There is only one HID device in the System Hardware settings (I assume this is the wireless dongle connected to the PC). Produt ID = 0xc509 ; Version ID = 0x046d (For a P=50441 ; V=1133). If I had another mouse or keyboard I would try it. Any help is appreciated... Thanks all.

EDIT: I tried to load the kext manually as well... the kext loads sometimes... but no dice.

I have a Dimension 8400 I am currently working on restoring a new install of 10.4.4 on (10.4.5 Pukes with my ATI Hardware...). I am using a Dell wireless USB Keyboard and mouse (Logitech hardware...). I have done everything correctly (I am almost sure... your instructions were thorough...), but FrontRowPass is not loading at startup, and thus FrontRow can't find a remote. Do you thinlk this could be a problem with my keyboard and mouse being wireless? There is only one HID device in the System Hardware settings (I assume this is the wireless dongle connected to the PC). Produt ID = 0xc509 ; Version ID = 0x046d (For a P=50441 ; V=1133). If I had another mouse or keyboard I would try it. Any help is appreciated... Thanks all.

EDIT: I tried to load the kext manually as well... the kext loads sometimes... but no dice.

This driver for mouse HID device only. But you have combined HID device.

I've checked this with wireless USB Mouse (A4 Tech), all was OK.

I try with Apple Mighty Mouse (PID: 0x020b VID:0x05ac connect at Apple Pro Keyboard usb hub) and it doesn't Work , but when I try Logitech Optical mouse its Work, fix it for me please, kylie

ps. Connect Apple Mighty Mouse your Frontrow kext has loads. but cannot activate FR and havn't FrontRow in keyboard shotcuts pref.

I try with Apple Mighty Mouse (PID: 0x020b VID:0x05ac connect at Apple Pro Keyboard usb hub) and it doesn't Work , but when I try Logitech Optical mouse its Work, fix it for me please, kylie

ps. Connect Apple Mighty Mouse your Frontrow kext has loads. but cannot activate FR and havn't FrontRow in keyboard shotcuts pref.

With Apple Mighty Mouse you do not need this driver :star_smile:.

How to...?

1. Delete FrontRowPass.kext.

2. Open AppleHIDMouse.kext > Contents > Info.plist

3. Add (look at Bold)

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>M19-0a</key>

<dict>

<key>HIDRemoteControl</key>

<true/>

</dict>

<key>M19-0b</key>