Belkin f5d7001 - v1101uk

munt

9 posts in this topic

Hi there folks!

I installed MacOS X Leopard on my computer two days ago and haven't left my pc since. I can see that it’s a really fantastic OS (I’ve been living in the pits of Microsoft since I sold my Amiga in 95) unfortunately my wireless networking card is not being picked up.

The Card is a PCI Belkin f5d7001 - v1101uk Wireless.

I doesn’t work from the Kalway 10.5.2 Install.

The airport icon doesnt show in the top right ... nothing is avalable in the networking controls and no NetworkInterfaces.plist file is created at any point.

I tried applying the patch from this post http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=8154

I also tried adding a <string>pci14e4,4320<string>

And also <string>pci14e4,4320<string>

to the relevant ktexts.

I tried adding these strings after a fresh install and after applying the above patch and also after attempting to use this http://taisteal.atomiclemur.com/2007/06/ho...how-i-fixed-it/ zip file.

I’m currently downloading the 55MB 10.4.4 patch from the apple website to attempt to pull the io80211Family.ktext from it and modify it with the strings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I wish to burn my Windows disks in a large fire in my back garden whilst chanting and dancing in a loin cloth.

Many Thanks,

Munt

I speak to you now from OS X !!! :unsure:

I have included my .ktext file with this post ... if it can be of use to anyone.

For the 10th time I decided to patch using the fix from the first link.

Then I opened the link from atomic lemur and added all the files that were missing from the ktext with the original ones from the installation.

Added <string>pci14e4,4320 and the other one.

Fixed permissions, restarted ... and it worked !

<EDIT - SEE LAST FEW POSTS DO NOT DOWNLOAD ATTACHMENT, THERE IS A BETTER WAY>

When Installing with Kalyway Enable all WiFi Options in the setup

IO80211Family.kext.zip

I'm glad it's working for you, but your link is broken since this board does not allow linking to the competition. The method you used to fix it will remain a mystery unless you post some details for other people.

My modified .ktext is attached this is basically what I downloaded from the site that you cannot access, the only difference is that I added the other files (ones that did not directly relate to the braodcom80211) from the update in the 1st link to the downloaded io80211faimly.tkext from the second link.

Then I added the <string>pci14e4... from the other posts on the f5d7001 on the forum.

Repaired Permissions and it worked :)

I'm a newb at this stage but if you want to know anything more about what I did please feel free to msg me.

I think the card is intermittently crashing my system ... I tried modifying the NetworkInterfaces.plist so that the IO and en0 were set to 1 and en1. The card is now recognised as airport 2 and is i think ... just as unreliable.

But its working to an extent, and I can enjoy MacOS X :P

If anyone has had luck with this card v1101uk please let me know.

<HINDSIGHT: MAIKNG THESE MODIFICATIONS TO NetworkI...plist FILE DID NOT HELP>

so be careful downloading that file, I'm back to using the ktext from the second post

NetworkInterfaces.plist.zip

The problem with this card seems to be the general fault in Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.2; wifi drops out for some people. With thic card, when it dumped out for me, it totally froze my system.

Mine was detected with all Wifi Drivers selected int he customise install section for Kalyway, so i'm a little surprised yours wasn't.

My advice (which means nothing as a noob) is to hold tight for 10.5.3, which might well fix these issues. It's a widely known phenomenon, even for Genuine Mac hardware. If I'm wrong, someone please tell me! I'm about to dump Leopard for the new Ubuntu.

Anything to back up the statement that this problem exists with Genuine Mac hardware? That's news to me and, quite frankly, I don't believe it.

If your system freezes then it's the DRIVER's fault, not OSX in general. If it's a genuine Apple kext driver that you have hacked around with then it's YOUR fault, not OSX in general. 10.5.3 isn't going to magically fix borked drivers. It might add new support for the hardware, true, but there are no "issues" it's going to fix when "it" is not the problem in the first place. That's just wishful thinking.

Thanks hugorudd I got the card working perfectly now ... torrents and all. I didn't realise I had to enable all the wifi components (curiously i did enable broadcom, 80211 etc).