ATI SB 200/400/450 - Targeted install disk - Leo4x200.iso

51 posts in this topic

**** - edited 5/22 - Changed the subject line, a few SB600 folks have been unable to install it seems, I will try to rework it, but I have no SB600 MB to test.

@ eddie - sorry, no disrespect...I couldn't get you on the phone so I called Steve Jobs and he said it was okay. :)

To dispel the x200 stuff before it gets out of control - I was really tired when I put that up. What Leo4x200.iso will allow you to do is *boot* the DVD sans the "waiting for root device" error on the ATI SB 200/400/450 chipset. Unfortunately, it performs no magic for the x200 graphics set - no QE/CI support whatsoever... :(:):(:(

In fact, it won't even produce a working install...OOB, anyway. This is based off of Leo4allv3 and there were no changes made to any packages or install scripts, so what you select is what you get. The only changes are to the Extensions and .mkext that boot the DVD and they are as follows:

1. IOUSBFamily was swapped for the ATI chipset safe version.

2. All ATA kexts were removed and AppleOnboardPCATA was added to support the 200/400/450 SB (****key point**** - allowing a 20-25 minute installation, rather than 4-5 hours.).

3. Callisto and CallistoHAL are in there as well, though only to facilitate a resolution change for those who need it (it's the fixed b003 version).

So you can see this is targeted to those folks with the ATI Southbridge, who have problems getting a DVD to boot, let alone install. I personally, could only find one distro that would install anything on my Compaq v2000 - it was Leo4all v1 :D , *but* it would load the VIA 8127 kext for the drives and took 4-5 hours to install every time (and still needed to be fixed).

@ first-timers: If you have the ATI 200/400/450 Southbridge and you've searched high and low for a distribution that will boot and install at a reasonable pace without success, then this may work for you. However, the installation needs some fixing before it will be usable. The simplest way to accomplish this is to do the following:

1. Install from the DVD, but don't select any chipsets--just add any graphics, sound, kernel, or power management items you need.

2. Post install, leave the DVD in...As it boots up, hit the F8 key and put in the following for an option:

rd=diskXsX (replace the X's with your installation's drive number and partition, so if it's hd (0,3), then rd=disk0s3)

3. Once you've gone through the setup process, open up a terminal window and type:

sudo -s
[enter your password]

su

This will effectively make you the root user. The reason you want to do this is now you can copy any needed kexts from the DVD and they will have the correct permissions and ownership.

4. First, erase any kexts from your installation folder that you know will interfere. For the v2000, I only needed to get rid of the default IOUSBFamily.kext.

5. Copy the ATI SB kext from the DVD while still root via the terminal with some approximation of the following:

cp -r /Volumes/"DVD name"/System/Library/Extensions/AppleOnboardPCATA.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

***And the updated USBkext (if needed, be sure to delete the original first from /System/Library/Extensions/)***
cp -r /Volumes/"DVD name"/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext /System/Library/Extensions/

6. At this point you should be able to just boot from your install and add anything else you need.

Lastly - just let me say again that this was targeted for the folks who have the ATI SB 200/400/600 chipset who have the "still waiting for root device" problem when trying to install from their internal DVD drive. There are many methods to combat this, but most require either a mac or a working install. I happen to have both and am trying to help others who were/are in my circumstance...So be flattered that your distro was used for this narrowly targeted install disk, eddie, not mad! :D

Sorry if this disk's appearance has caused any confusion! For those that care, the MD5 should be 41641eb339d3ae6d5188f8b5a52a3560 (though at this pace you won't need to worry about that until next week! :P )

ToxicMac, excellent work. :)

Do you think there is any chance that this might work with the SB700? I've been looking for a mention of the SB700/hackintosh and have come up with nought.

ToxicMac, excellent work. ;)

Do you think there is any chance that this might work with the SB700? I've been looking for a mention of the SB700/hackintosh and have come up with nought.

No clue, sorry. Can't hurt to try, though.

thanks to eddie and ToxicMac I was finally able to install on my parents compaq sr1750nx....Now only if I can get their ethernet,sound, and internal drives working they would be all set.

thankyou, I hope you continue to repack future releases for this chipset.

thanks to eddie and ToxicMac I was finally able to install on my parents compaq sr1750nx....Now only if I can get their ethernet,sound, and internal drives working they would be all set.

thankyou, I hope you continue to repack future releases for this chipset.

Ethernet *should* have worked based on the motherboard link you posted earlier so I would suspect a BIOS setting problem. For the onboard audio, select the AC97 option in the install customization menu. As for the internal drives, boot the DVD and select your hard drive as the root disk using the method I described earlier (rd=diskXsX). Once booted, look for any instances of AppleGenericPCATA.kext in the Extensions folder on the *hard drive* and delete them. Once you've done that, copy AppleOnboardPCATA.kext from the *DVD*--ensure the permissions and ownership are correct. That should take care of the problem. If you are able to install to an internal HD using the disk, then you should be able to find the right combinations of kexts from the DVD extensions folder.

great job! However how can I get this modified distro to try with my laptop Asus A6Rp.

If interesting, specs for laptop are here: http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5&amp...amp;modelmenu=2

I think it can still be found on TPB. If you already have leopard installed, the only thing this can do for you is speed up any re-installations since the DVD itself will load the right kexts on boot. You will still need to add/remove the needed kexts for your machine after it installs. Otherwise, if you already have a working install, you can do the same thing with any distro you already have by ditching the mkext on the DVD, fixing any problems with the Extensions folder, and repacking the mkext. There are many examples on this site with instructions on how to do this.

I've tried your release on my SB600 chipset, still gives me the "Still searching for root device".. And I have a 120GB IDE drive.. What the heck? what may be wrong? :D

With the install DVD? Or after you've installed?

Well with the install DVD.. Perhaps it's because I'm using an IDE (ATA) drive?

Anyhow, thx for your reply m8! Much appreciated! :D

It should still work. I would try fiddling with any available BIOS settings. Also try messing with the slave/master settings of both your DVD drive and HD. Some people get success when they put the DVD and HD on the same IDE channel with the DVD set to master and the HD set to slave. What motherboard are you using?

It should still work. I would try fiddling with any available BIOS settings. Also try messing with the slave/master settings of both your DVD drive and HD. Some people get success when they put the DVD and HD on the same IDE channel with the DVD set to master and the HD set to slave. What motherboard are you using?

Hmm, BIOS settings huh? Do you have any tip on what has to be changed? Well I've already got my HDD and DVD on the same IDE channel, with the DVD set as Master and HDD as Slave.

I am currently using a MSI K9A2 CF mainboard, which in turn is using a AMD 790X chipset (Southbridge is SB600).

Hmm, BIOS settings huh? Do you have any tip on what has to be changed? Well I've already got my HDD and DVD on the same IDE channel, with the DVD set as Master and HDD as Slave.

I am currently using a MSI K9A2 CF mainboard, which in turn is using a AMD 790X chipset (Southbridge is SB600).

Possibly setting S-ATA to disabled or AHCI, etc. It's hard for me to say since I'm not familiar with that board at all. Also, you might try reversing the HD and DVD location on the cable as well as reversing the jumpers. Other things to try: set the rd=diskXsX flag to point at your DVD drive at the boot menu. Try installing on a SATA drive or external USB drive. If you're using a PS2 keyboard, try a USB keyboard/mouse -- it may be that some other piece of hardware is causing a problem. I've not been able to find any example of a Leopard installation on that particular MB so it just may be that it's not possible. I did come across someone who switched from the MSI K9A2 to a Gigabyte branded board with the *same* chipset who was able to install so take that for what it's worth. There's no real clear answer to your problem at this point. Suffice it to say that you may be in uncharted territory requiring a bit of experimentation.

Hey, tried this iso and it didn't work for me on my Toshiba A215 with the sb600 chipset. Gave me a waiting for root device no matter what startup options I used. And before you ask; my toshiba bios actions are very limited. No options for changing drive order or anything really.

Hey, tried this iso and it didn't work for me on my Toshiba A215 with the sb600 chipset. Gave me a waiting for root device no matter what startup options I used. And before you ask; my toshiba bios actions are very limited. No options for changing drive order or anything really.

Sorry, that's two people who've been unable to install with the SB600 so I'd say it's unsupported at this point. I've changed the topic heading to reflect it. You can try adding the following kexts to the ISO's /System/Library/Extensions folder SB600Kext using TransMac (delete the existing copies first), reburn the DVD and then boot using the -v -f flags.

Well thank you for your effort. I thought I might let you know how I got Eddie's v3 working with my sb600 chipset. For some reason it can't find the DVD boot drive and after asking around on irc, I came to the answer of using "rd=disk1s2" or whatever number your boot DVD drive is. It worked for me to get past the waiting for root on his. But I'm still baffled at the graphics issue I am having with his release. It loads the dvd to a blank gray screen with a movable mouse pointer and then stops. Right now I'm trying to find out what files might be causing this because Kaly's release loads to the install but will not install properly. So if he can do it than I know that eddie's can too!

Hope this helps someone.

Hi, is it possible to add the vendor ID 0x59551002 to the OnboardPCATA kext? also if you can add Callisto version 6 to it too, I had no luck with any of them except for v.6 also adding the same ID to the callistoHAL.kext.

I had to install from a USB DVD drive to a external USB hard drive first since it did not recognize my chipset, using the OnboardPCATA v2.

Thanks.

Edit: I corrected the ID number to 0x59551002 on my post... sorry.

AppleOnboardPCATA.kext.zip

Callistv6_Fixed_worked.zip

Hey ToxiMac this is my video card

Video

Manufacturer: ATI

Model: XPRESS 200M

Bus Type: PCIe

Memory size: 16MB - 128

Resolution: 1280 x 800 @ 60 Hz

In the installation i didnt knew how to install it .. so i have to use Katana2C.dmg and then erase all the ATI* kext from /System/Library/Extension and that work for me ... just change the resolution :(<_< :mellow: .

can u tell me which one is the correct option that i have to do when i am installing the OS.

and thanks dude it was easy to install withour vmware just put the DVD and boot ... the rest work fine thanks a lot :P:) .

btw i have to erase AppleACPITherm.kext from AppleACPIFamily.kext cuz if i (un)plug the power cord the system got freeze = lose battery meter

lack english .. lol

Just to give an update. Tried all suggestions so far still can get internal sata or pata drive working. but I now have ethernet working.I haven't giving up on sound yet, will try for another day or 2 then will buy a usb sound card.Still I really happy with your leo4x200 because its been since xmas I been trying to get this thing to run leopard but never got load the install disc. Thanks again to Toxic & of course eddie.

quick edit; Got sound Working! ; still no luck on internal drives

Finally everything working. The final problem was I couldn't get the ide drives and sata drives working at the same time. I decide to get a sata to ide bridge now all my hardware showing and working.

Thanks once again.