Does Vista look prettier than OS X?

snakeeyes

Aero vs Aqua!  

190 members have voted

1. 1. Aero vs Aqua!

• Windows Aeros is prettier.
    • Aqua is prettier.
    • Both are ugly, Kde 4 rules!
    • What are you talking about? I am prettier.

97 posts in this topic

After customization Aqua is a lot nicer. But Aero is still really good.

I think its Vista's fault that aero slows down since Vista it self is a resource hog, I think in windows 7 aero should be faster.

Have you ever checked out Leopard's Activity Monitor? OS X is no lightweight. With 10.5.3, with Safari and Colloquy open, I'm using 1GB of RAM. In Vista x64, with IE and bittorrent running.. I'm using 1GB of RAM.

I don't see the slowness problems with Aero that other people talk about. To me it's perfectly fast and normal. I did disable the "fade" animations, but it's still shiny and glassy. I move a window, it moves. I minimize/close/etc, and it happens instantly. Originally I tried using the "classic" theme, without Aero, but didn't really see any speed benefit to doing so.

Have you ever checked out Leopard's Activity Monitor? OS X is no lightweight. With 10.5.3, with Safari and Colloquy open, I'm using 1GB of RAM. In Vista x64, with IE and bittorrent running.. I'm using 1GB of RAM.

I don't see the slowness problems with Aero that other people talk about. To me it's perfectly fast and normal. I did disable the "fade" animations, but it's still shiny and glassy. I move a window, it moves. I minimize/close/etc, and it happens instantly. Originally I tried using the "classic" theme, without Aero, but didn't really see any speed benefit to doing so.

Leopard runs perfectly fine with 512mb a friend of mine still has an old mac and it works decent.

But doesn't it adapt its memory usage according to available hardware?

Exactly all Unix systems catch and hold a bunch of memory all the time so incase u open up a new program it loads up more quickly, even Vista does that now so windows manages memory just like unix systems now.

They both have their own style, that's definate. Would I say one looks prettier than the other? No. I enjoy both of their interfaces, except when you throw Aero into play, I love my glass borders and such. :)

I like the Vista UI more than anything that MS has done before--it is far superior to XP's horrible cartoon/lego look. However, the Mac UI is still more intuitive and easier to use. Vista requires so many clicks, menus and buttons to actually get to things like preferences. For example, changing the permissions on a system file in Vista requires navigating through 5 or 6 options boxes with around 15 total clicks...and that is per file. Mac OS lets you use your computer how you wish, Vista assumes you are too stupid to be allowed access to your own machine.

Aqua, by an far, is the nicest looking one. Transitions are seamless, well thought out, and aren't over the top. I've never liked Compiz because it takes everything over the top to the point of just looking ridiculous. KWin4 is a newcomer to the "next gen" windowing, and I like what I see, but there are still a lot of bugs to be ironed out.

Then there's Aero. Not by any stretch of the imagination as polished as Aqua, and certainly not as humorously over-the-top as Compiz. However, I like it. Why? Between all the window managers, it doesn't sacrifice productivity for visuals. Aqua is great, but I find myself waiting on it to finish animating far too often; like all things Apple, it prefers form over function. Aero prefers function over everything else. Some don't think it's animated enough, and it's not supposed to be. At the end of the day, Windows is still used 99% for work, and Microsoft considers that market above all else in decision making. Half a second times 50 times a day times 5 days a week times 52 weeks a year times 500 employees = a lot of wasted money. Assuming a very moderate $15/hour average rate among all employees, that's $13k/year in pure waste.

Aqua, by an far, is the nicest looking one. Transitions are seamless, well thought out, and aren't over the top. I've never liked Compiz because it takes everything over the top to the point of just looking ridiculous. KWin4 is a newcomer to the "next gen" windowing, and I like what I see, but there are still a lot of bugs to be ironed out.

Then there's Aero. Not by any stretch of the imagination as polished as Aqua, and certainly not as humorously over-the-top as Compiz. However, I like it. Why? Between all the window managers, it doesn't sacrifice productivity for visuals. Aqua is great, but I find myself waiting on it to finish animating far too often; like all things Apple, it prefers form over function. Aero prefers function over everything else. Some don't think it's animated enough, and it's not supposed to be. At the end of the day, Windows is still used 99% for work, and Microsoft considers that market above all else in decision making. Half a second times 50 times a day times 5 days a week times 52 weeks a year times 500 employees = a lot of wasted money. Assuming a very moderate $15/hour average rate among all employees, that's $13k/year in pure waste.

Another thing about aero, compiz and kwin4 is that u can turn off the effects when u don't need them that will help u be more productive whereas with aqua the effects r part of the experience.

However, the Mac UI is still more intuitive and easier to use. Vista requires so many clicks, menus and buttons to actually get to things like preferences. For example, changing the permissions on a system file in Vista requires navigating through 5 or 6 options boxes with around 15 total clicks...and that is per file. Mac OS lets you use your computer how you wish, Vista assumes you are too stupid to be allowed access to your own machine.

I don't understand (or necessarily agree) with these points. I would like you to give specific, real examples of what you talk about here.

For example, changing the permissions on a system file in Vista requires navigating through 5 or 6 options boxes with around 15 total clicks...and that is per file. Mac OS lets you use your computer how you wish, Vista assumes you are too stupid to be allowed access to your own machine.

You're complaining that Vista is protecting critical system files from a reckelss user. This is a problem, how?

I like the Vista UI more than anything that MS has done before--it is far superior to XP's horrible cartoon/lego look. However, the Mac UI is still more intuitive and easier to use. Vista requires so many clicks, menus and buttons to actually get to things like preferences. For example, changing the permissions on a system file in Vista requires navigating through 5 or 6 options boxes with around 15 total clicks...and that is per file. Mac OS lets you use your computer how you wish, Vista assumes you are too stupid to be allowed access to your own machine.

You obviously are, because it is really easy to turn that off. Let me help you out...

Start Menu (that round blue windows button in the bottom left of your glowy picture thingy in front of you) > Control Panel > Classic View > User Accounts > Turn User Account Control On or Off > Reboot

Glad to help :)

Its there as a security feature to prevent viral and in many cases unwanted processes more than to stop stupid users, although that also is a function. I also find UAC quite useful for the times where I accidentally clicked something and want to stop it without it wasting my time :D

Vista looks much better if A) you are blind or :D you are high on crack.... IMHO

I will say though that in standard configuration they are at least comparable. But once you customize them... Hands down Leo.

Yeah we r talking about plain Aqua and Aero, the way they look by default, any operating system can look good after customization. ;)

Vista looks much better if A) you are blind or B) you are high on crack.... IMHO

I will say though that in standard configuration they are at least comparable. But once you customize them... Hands down Leo.

Without resorting to 3rd-party apps, please tell me some ways one can "customize" Aqua.

This is my experiment

I took Vista Ultimate and skinned it to be leopard

Windows aero transitions with

The elegantness of Leopard

The Only pull back is Safari(for Win)

Just take a look at these snapshots

Yes it is vista

post-133132-1212950019_thumb.jpg

post-133132-1212950061_thumb.jpg

post-133132-1212950068_thumb.jpg