Help me start out with acoustic guitar

Guest Batista

5 posts in this topic

Guest Batista

My regards to the community. I already have a taste of music as I played Saxophone for 6 years and sang in choir for 5. I want to have my fingers going on an acoustic guitar. I already own 2. . I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good way to start out. What should I be doing, etc... That kind of stuff. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

I started playing the acoustic guitar last month. It's great fun, and you'll get pretty good at it if you practice often.

Pick up the guitar, make sure it's properly tuned, get a chart of basic chords, and go to ultimate-guitar.com. Find a song you want to learn and learn it. It's that simple.

In terms on stuff online, lessons on Guitar Noise by Dave Hodge were really helpful to me to get started. He starts off pretty simple, which I found helpful because when I started I'd want to learn a song but it was just too hard for a beginner and got frustrating.

If you're willing to spend money, finding someone to give you lessons isn't a bad idea either to learn good technique and get the basics down.

Good luck

If you want the best tabs go to www.chordie.com. They have tabs for pretty much every song and artist, and they grab the tabs from site like ultimate-guitar, minus the annoying ads and popups. Very clean and useful site.

P.S. How is this related to video creation? o_o

SHould be in audio creation.....

What derek said is great. That's how I learned my first song, HOrse with no Name. SOme other easy songs to learn:

Wild Thing

Free Fallin'

For more finger movement and not chords I learned More than a Feeling and What you thought you Need (Jack Johnson)

A little bit more advanced song would be Crash into Me by Dave Matthews