Silicon Image 3114 RAID

3 posts in this topic

I'm about to take the plunge into the Hackintosh community (with Leopard 10.5.2), and am wondering if the SI 3114 RAID controller works in RAID mode? I currently have a RAID 10 array that holds most of my data, and would like to be able to access it in OSX. I have searched the forums and seen some people manage to get it to work, but I am unsure if this is in RAID mode or regular SATA mode. Not to mention most of those posts are circa 2006, so there might be some new information since then.

Thanks!

I'm sorta going out on a limb here, and I'm not really sure... but anyways I don't think it'll work the way you think it will...

I was under the impression that that was a "fakeraid" controller, where it's only hardware raid at the bios level and is actually software raid handled by the os and drivers...

My motherboard has one of those built into it and I was told if I ever wanted any chance of dual booting I'd have to get a real hardware raid card... which isn't to say it won't work, but if it does you'll probably need to reinitialize the array and lose your data... at which point you'd need to use osx exclusively, you couldn't dual boot... at least that's my understanding of those raid controllers... I could be wrong...

Yes - the SI3114 is a software RAID solution - I was just wondering if anyone made it work since SI has OSX drivers for other products.

I'd never lose my data - if I decided to go OSX exclusively I'd buy a big enough HD to back everything up on - my data is worth more than the $100 it would cost for a backup drive. Then again, those external eSATA/gigabit ethernet RAID boxes are looking very tasty right now, if I mirrored a pair of 1TB drives I'd have enough storage to last a very long time, and enough protection against a disk failure.