Network Connection Drop & 'Self Assigned ip'

DAMONINO

21 posts in this topic

I too get frequent Ethernet drops.... would love to get a solution to this. I've looked in the syslog, and everytime I get ethernet drop I can't see anything that is causing it.

I'm not actually using my Hackintosh right now (I'm on my iMac), but next time I boot up, I'll make sure I copy and paste the entries in syslog so someone more proficient may be able to make sense of.

But you don't have to reboot to get your ethernet back. Just open up terminal, navigate to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily/Contents/Plugins

Then do sudo kextunload <whatever your working kext is> (mine is AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext)

then do sudo kextload <whatever your working kext is>

Hey presto, you should have Ethernet back up. If it drops again - just perform the same commands again. I just leave the terminal open, and just hit up on the keyboard to get the last performed commands back so you don't have to type it in again.

I am not sure if this will help cause I don't know what your hardware is but I was getting the same problem before on my Asus P5B - dropped ethernet connection. There is a Realtek kext file , its something like RTK1000 or something close to that file name floating around here on the forums.

I loaded those kext files and all my connection problems were gone. So if you have a Realtek ethernet you might want to try and find that file. I wish I remembered the name of the kext file that I used but I don't have that motherboard anymore and my current system doesn't need that file. The name of the file is something close to RTK1000 or similar name. sorry wish I knew more.

Good luck. What is your hardware config maybe someone can help you if we know more?

As I said in an earlier post, here's a sample from syslog:

May 16 07:16:36 mac-pro kernel[0]: { 2 3e092} RTL8139::transmitterInterrupt - transmit underrun

May 16 07:16:36 mac-pro kernel[0]: { 2 3e092} RTL8139::outputPacket - Tx Error

May 16 07:17:26 mac-pro kernel[0]: { 1 3e092} RTL8139::transmitterInterrupt - transmit underrun

May 16 07:17:27 mac-pro kernel[0]: { 1 3e092} RTL8139::outputPacket - Tx Error

May 16 07:17:34 mac-pro kernel[0]: { 3 3e092} RTL8139::transmitterInterrupt - transmit underrun

May 16 07:17:34 mac-pro kernel[0]: { 3 3e092} RTL8139::outputPacket - Tx Error

Dont know if this will help But.... I'm using leo4all also and after searching many posts and trying different things posted heres my workaround

1: try to maually assign your IP with dhcp manually. I only have drops after using vista or xp and then booting OSX, like my router wont release ip after restart. If I cold boot its fine. (posted elswhere)

2: duplicate your ethernet connections in network panel and turn off your original connection(posted elsewhere) If I have 2 on, it also fixes the network freeze i was getting.

3: try to set up your ethernet panel manually also the duplex half duplex part and set the one setting(im at work so no mac cant remember) to 1000 not 1500 (also posted elsewhere)

Dont know why it works for me but it does so I wont mess with it :)

been able to torrent and download BIG game and App updates without a drop.

I'm using all leo4allv3 files with only updates from software updates no other downloads

good luck :P

Hi elhefe...

Thanks for chipping in.

1) = Understood

3) = Understood

2) = Not so sure...

Can you explain 2 a bit more for me?

Do you just duplicate your ethernet in network prefs, but turn the original off? Or do you leave them both on? How many duplicates do you make?

Thanks in advance.

Yes duplicate the one thats working leave exact same settings and disable original. I have no

idea why this seems to work :) maybe someone with some REAL knowledge could explain why this would make a difference :(

OK... So I've spent the last 48 hours (literally solid!) trying all sorts of different fixes mentioned on these forums.

I've changed the kext

I've changed the physical PCI slot of the NIC

I've tried creating a duplicate in network prefs

I've messed around with PCI setting in my BIOS

Bottom line is ethernet still drops no matter what I do. Some changes make the drop less frequent - but they still happen.

When I changed the PCI slot drops were far less frequent - but when a drop happened, doing a kextoad wouldn't work!

All of my playing leads me to beleive it's a motherboard chipset driver that's causing the issue with the RTL8139.kext.

I've got one last software fix I'm going to try before I go out and get another NIC with a completely different chipset. All I hope is that I don't get the same issue with that! I'm running the speedstep kernel, so I am going to try the sleepkernel to see if I still get drops.

I've also read that the Wii LAN USB apadtor works a charm with Leopard (plug n play) - so I may just get that if all else fails

UPDATE:

Changing the kenel has not stopped the ethernet drops. But as a side note, using the sleep kerenel seems to have brought about a much snappier OS X experience. Geekbench confirms it! So I'm gonna stick with it.

So I'm going to go and get a Wii USB LAN adaptor after work, and hopefully be done with it!

So I've just got back from the gamestore where I bought the Wii LAN USB adaptor... Works a charm. Works right out of the box, no need to add kexts or anything. The stock AppleUSBEthernet.kext drives it.

It's working beautifully. Hasn't dropped yet, and I've had Transmission running for the past 20 mins (that used to hose my ethernet within 3 mins without fail before)

I'll post back in a few hours with an update.

• 6 months later...
Dont know if this will help But.... I'm using leo4all also and after searching many posts and trying different things posted heres my workaround

1: try to maually assign your IP with dhcp manually. I only have drops after using vista or xp and then booting OSX, like my router wont release ip after restart. If I cold boot its fine. (posted elswhere)

2: duplicate your ethernet connections in network panel and turn off your original connection(posted elsewhere) If I have 2 on, it also fixes the network freeze i was getting.

3: try to set up your ethernet panel manually also the duplex half duplex part and set the one setting(im at work so no mac cant remember) to 1000 not 1500 (also posted elsewhere)

Dont know why it works for me but it does so I wont mess with it ;)

been able to torrent and download BIG game and App updates without a drop.

I'm using all leo4allv3 files with only updates from software updates no other downloads

good luck :)

Thanks this worked

• 2 weeks later...