X700 and other PCIE ATI Radeon finally work

koverg

923 posts in this topic

Well for those getting getting display matching errors on boot (like the machine I saw this happen on) Dont change your boot.plist or graphics setting until you have first confirmed the patch worked. I found that the patch would have worked the first time if the person who applied this patch had not edited the plist file (I was helping a friend from these forums)

For cards that use the ATIRadeon8500 kext, I think a majority of the cards are already identified in both the plist and binary itself. My card, a Radeon 9000 Mobility ID 4C66 is listed and the kext loads fine...but I have to remove ATIRadeon8500GA.plugin and ATIRadeon8500GLDriver.bundle from the Extensions folder...so the kext loads but essentially no accel.

When these two files are in, I get a blank screen with a mouse cursor...so where exactly is the problem with these drivers??

Tried the patched 9700 kext but no go...blank as well.

Hi Griffsta,

What resolution are you using? Did you try something like 1400x1050?

Thanks

CHA CHING!

If anyone is looking for a great setup my rig is now complete and working perfectly! No TEARING! NO ARTIFACTS! Tested in OpenGL window apps and DVD Player etc. Fully Stable. I finally got the patch working by just applying it myself using a hex editor. I am using the 10.4.4 version of the ATIRadeon9700.kext file. I have Sapphire Radeon X800 PCIe 256mb. This is non-pro edition. Note I am running the full resolution of my monitor via the com.apple.boot.plist option file. Device ID is 554F Vendor ID is 1002 of course.

If you want to apply the patch yourself open your HEX editor and search for 3D 60 5B 00 00 in the 10.4.4 kext file.

Be advised that this string occurs in two places. Once you find the two places that this string occurs, replace them with 3D YY XX 00 00 with XX being the first two digits of your Device ID and YY being the second.

So for setup it was as follows: 3D 60 5B 00 00 became 3D 4F 55 00 00.

Now go into the Info.plist file inside your ATIRadeon9700.kext folder and find the 0x5B601002 line and change it with your device ID like this.

For example: 0x5B601002 became 0x554F1002 for my setup. Note that if your card has a different Vendor ID you need to change the 1002 to your Vendor ID as well! Good luck and everyone keep up the hard work! If anyone wants to know my setup incase you need a 100% working rig. Here goes:

Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz

Gigabyte I945P-Pro Motherboard

Sapphire Radeon X800 PCIe 256mb

3Com 3C905B-TX NIC

NEC ND-3540A DVD Burner

And of course the onboard ICH7 Intel SATA

Okay, reinstalled 10.4.5 and followed Griffsta's method and I've got it working.

http://benime.com/images/screenshotosx.png

It's big (1280x1024), but it shows my xbench scores from 10.4.3, and then 10.4.5 plus some of my setup (it's an opteron 146 @2.6ghz, not 3 heh). Currently running my PowerColor X800 PCIe 256MB card @ 1280x1024x32bit. Can't set the refresh rate, that's probably what made it freeze the last time. Getting major mouse artifacting (you can even see it in the screenshot), but other than that things are great. Thanks again for all the excellent work koverg.

Oke got a prob. I downloaded the patch9700 v0.2 version and did everything there was to do. my vid card is a ATI radeon PCIex x700 128mb. I checked my ID in windows and the device was: 5e4d and vendor: 1002 now i did everything there was and when i rebooted..

Beeldscherm:

Type: VGA-compatibele controller

Bus: PCI

VRAM (totaal): 256 MB

Fabrikant: ATI (0x1002)

Apparaatcode: 0x5e4d

Revisiecode: 0x0000

Info kernelextensie: Geen Kext geladen

Beeldschermen:

Onbekend beeldscherm:

Resolutie: 1280 x 1024

Diepte: 32-bits kleur

Core Image: Niet ondersteund

Hoofdbeeldscherm: Ja

Synchrone weergave: Uit

On line: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Niet ondersteund

I don't get it ?? and one more question if it works will photoshop e.d. work faster ? is there any speeddifference in app-level ?

Can someone please help me! I' m stuck :S

Oke got a prob. I downloaded the patch9700 v0.2 version and did everything there was to do. my vid card is a ATI radeon PCIex x700 128mb. I checked my ID in windows and the device was: 5e4d and vendor: 1002 now i did everything there was and when i rebooted..

Beeldscherm:

Type: VGA-compatibele controller

Bus: PCI

VRAM (totaal): 256 MB

Fabrikant: ATI (0x1002)

Apparaatcode: 0x5e4d

Revisiecode: 0x0000

Info kernelextensie: Geen Kext geladen

Beeldschermen:

Onbekend beeldscherm:

Resolutie: 1280 x 1024

Diepte: 32-bits kleur

Core Image: Niet ondersteund

Hoofdbeeldscherm: Ja

Synchrone weergave: Uit

On line: Ja

Quartz Extreme: Niet ondersteund

I don't get it ?? and one more question if it works will photoshop e.d. work faster ? is there any speeddifference in app-level ?

Can someone please help me! I' m stuck :S

I can confirm that this deviceID(0x5e4d) works great(QE,CI,OpenGL enabled) with v0.2!

Just follow instructions from koverg.

The GUI will be much faster, but PS is PPC app, so it wont be faster. "only" the GUI :thumbsdown_anim: .

the kextcache thing didn't work 4 me!? :S

this is what i do, i download the koverg-patch9700-v0.2.tar

extract it and the copy the contents to my MACOS drive in finder.

Go to Terminal and do the sudo ./patch9700.sh HI LO thing.

I changed the ./ in binmay cause i didn't work with ./ so i did,

sudo /patch9700.sh and change in line 11 in binmay the ./ into /

am i doing something wrong ????

CHA CHING!

If anyone is looking for a great setup my rig is now complete and working perfectly! No TEARING! NO ARTIFACTS! Tested in OpenGL window apps and DVD Player etc. Fully Stable. I finally got the patch working by just applying it myself using a hex editor. I am using the 10.4.4 version of the ATIRadeon9700.kext file. I have Sapphire Radeon X800 PCIe 256mb. This is non-pro edition. Note I am running the full resolution of my monitor via the com.apple.boot.plist option file. Device ID is 554F Vendor ID is 1002 of course.

If you want to apply the patch yourself open your HEX editor and search for 3D 60 5B 00 00 in the 10.4.4 kext file.

Be advised that this string occurs in two places. Once you find the two places that this string occurs, replace them with 3D YY XX 00 00 with XX being the first two digits of your Device ID and YY being the second.

So for setup it was as follows: 3D 60 5B 00 00 became 3D 4F 55 00 00.

Now go into the Info.plist file inside your ATIRadeon9700.kext folder and find the 0x5B601002 line and change it with your device ID like this.

For example: 0x5B601002 became 0x554F1002 for my setup. Note that if your card has a different Vendor ID you need to change the 1002 to your Vendor ID as well! Good luck and everyone keep up the hard work! If anyone wants to know my setup incase you need a 100% working rig. Here goes:

Pentium D 820 2.8Ghz

Gigabyte I945P-Pro Motherboard

Sapphire Radeon X800 PCIe 256mb

3Com 3C905B-TX NIC

NEC ND-3540A DVD Burner

And of course the onboard ICH7 Intel SATA

What do u mean with "in the 10.4.4 kext file". Could u write the real path of that file? I edited the ATIRadeon9700 inside the MacOs folder in the ATIRadeon9700.kext. But It doesn't work! I've got an X700 with ID=5653, and I replace the two 3D 60 5B 00 00 strings with 3D 53 56 00 00.

Where's my error?

Thanks

Did the same thing with a 9800se 256bit/128 AGP card (id 4148). Stuck at loading loginwindow, so I switched back to the old kext.

Mar 3 06:24:31 localhost /System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/MacOS/loginwindow: Login Window Application Started

Mar 3 06:24:31 localhost lookupd[65]: lookupd (version 369.3) starting - Fri Mar 3 06:24:31 2006

Mar 3 06:24:32 localhost kernel[0]: display: Not usable

Mar 3 06:24:32 localhost kernel[0]: display: vram [d0000000:08000000]

Mar 3 06:24:32 localhost loginwindow[64]: Login Window Started Security Agent

Never saw this before in my log, anyone else getting this?

What do u mean with "in the 10.4.4 kext file". Could u write the real path of that file? I edited the ATIRadeon9700 inside the MacOs folder in the ATIRadeon9700.kext. But It doesn't work! I've got an X700 with ID=5653, and I replace the two 3D 60 5B 00 00 strings with 3D 53 56 00 00.

Where's my error?

Thanks

You also have to edit the plist and replace that very same ID. Then repair permissions, kextcache and should work.

Dont want to sound like a real dumb dumb here fellas but how the hell do you use this patch ive tried and all i get is it cant find anything.

!!!!!!!!! thanks

info required is for a bud not me as you see from my sig

got the powercolor X800GT with a R480 GPU fully working

You also have to edit the plist and replace that very same ID. Then repair permissions, kextcache and should work.

Yes, I did it! But It doesn't work. I would just know if I'm wrong when I edit the first file.

Thanks

Yes, I did it! But It doesn't work. I would just know if I'm wrong when I edit the first file.

Thanks

Nope, unless your're actually not saving your file after edit. If you have trouble, give me your mail and I'll send my patched kext, as your ID is the same as mine.

You can also try to pick and replace any other device ID.

LOL :blink: , my X850XT 256MB PCI-e is working CI and QE support

but theres mouse tears problem.

I remember reading that the mouse tearing could be reduced by turning off the beam sync. I don't remeber how but it's here seomwhere.

Nope, unless your're actually not saving your file after edit. If you have trouble, give me your mail and I'll send my patched kext, as your ID is the same as mine.

You can also try to pick and replace any other device ID.

gatzu75@libero.it thanks

i got a problem with My X850XT PCI-e card.

sometime it stuck at loading screen so i had to reboot system again

then the system load & works fine with CI and QE support.

any solution to this problem?

OMFG! this finally got it working!

Listen people who are getting the blank screen or any startup problems... YOU HAVE TO HEXEDIT THE KEXT MANUALLY following Griffsta's post. There must be something wrong with the patcher, now this is working fine and getting the mouse tearing bug in all it's glory!

BTW I have also hexedited 3D 60 5B 00 00 as he suggested using Hexedit.app

Thanks a lot, hope this helps others too!

ALSO: I am getting PCIexpress recognized correctly under 10.4.5 weeeeeeee ;)

Hey autoy, glad to hear that you got it going. Cheers! Sorry, I didn't get back to you soon enough but the point is you are in the land of QE now.

Congrats

Also for the record you can use HexEdit 2.00 to accomplish this feat!

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17562

Good luck to everyone

another succes story...

got it working on a dell inspiron 6000 with an ati x300 (dev_id 5460). Can't get the resolution up to 1680x1050 though. Stuck in 1280x1024. anyone?

Similar to me on my Thinkpad, can get it up to 1280x1024, get horrible video problems if I go any higher.

After some days the kext for my x700mobility is still working :) i connected a monitor, rebooted and got the display only on the monitor, but thats ok. Also i tested several resolutions on it: eg 1280x1024,1600x1280 ... all of them are working fine (of course there is still mouse tearing and the 60hz problem).

WoW is working as well, very smooth even with 4x antialiasing (btw how can i display fps?) . After quitting the mouse cursor was still there. I installed Keynote and started a short presentation with a 3D cube rotation between two pages. Back to the gui, the cursor was absolutly messed up :D

There have to be some more similary checks in this or another kext. Do you have an idea where should i start tracing the kext?