X700 and other PCIE ATI Radeon finally work

koverg

923 posts in this topic

ATI Mobility Radeon x700 128Mb on Acer Travelmate 8104wlmi on 10.4.3

[0x5653, 0x1002]

Partial success with patch 0.2 - Core Image & Quartz Extreme Working!!

VLC DVD playing back smoothly even at fullscreen.

BUT lots of window content tearing when scrolling [see attachment]

(no 'mouse' tearing though?).

Slightly improved by simple one-colour desktop background.

Apple DVD player loads, but is unstable and crashes.

Desired 1680x1050 resolution in boot plist ignored, it defaulted back to 1400x1050 as before.

Overall too buggy to keep, so going back to normal kext for now.

Might try it once I'm running a 10.4.5 install.

Seemed to enable CI/QE without the driver fully supporting it, in my case.

Thanks Koverg for demonstrating that text based plist editting is only half the challenge for hardware support, more binary patching also needs to be done too (by people more familiar with that!)

Maybe the same technique might get my Realtek ALC880 Audio (VEN 10EC, DEV 0880) working, as plain kext editting doesn't.

Exactly the same problem that I'm having with my X300 in my T43.

No clue why I'm having this problem since no one else has reported issues with the X300.

OK I did the patch on my Dell inspiron 6000 with the x300 card, it now shows QE & CI enabled, the ripple effect works in dashboard and stuff, but I'm stuck at 1024x768, i have tried adding 1280x800 in the com.Apple.boot.plist but it isnt working.

Where is com.Apple.boot.plist is actually supposed to be, i got hella confused i dunno maybe i've moved it out and its not residing in the proper folder.

Thx.

X800GTOA from Gecube - core r430 on AGP it is workin here - device id 554f

- dvd dplayer it is working ok , but keynotes or any apps that use opengl in fullscreeen is a mess when you close- the mouse is brocken in thousend of pieces. So: no rezolution changes - no fullscreen opengl and no refresh rate. anyway - tanks koverg - I hope that you or someone else will fix and this problems

OK I did the patch on my Dell inspiron 6000 with the x300 card, it now shows QE & CI enabled, the ripple effect works in dashboard and stuff, but I'm stuck at 1024x768, i have tried adding 1280x800 in the com.Apple.boot.plist but it isnt working.

Where is com.Apple.boot.plist is actually supposed to be, i got hella confused i dunno maybe i've moved it out and its not residing in the proper folder.

Thx.

Exact same thing here with my 6000. Can't get to 1280x800, but QE and CI work.

Ah {censored}, so it isn't just be being an idiot... I hope there's a workaround somewhere...

That's what I've been trying to figure out. I have the X300 in my Inspiron 9300 (which I'm pretty sure it's just like a bigger version of the 6000, they're very similar), and I can't get above 1024x768.32. I've seen others in this thread stating to have gotten the i9300 above, though, so I think it might have to do with the 10.4.3 drivers. I'm going to try updating them soon and seeing if that fixes the problem.

That's what I've been trying to figure out. I have the X300 in my Inspiron 9300 (which I'm pretty sure it's just like a bigger version of the 6000, they're very similar), and I can't get above 1024x768.32. I've seen others in this thread stating to have gotten the i9300 above, though, so I think it might have to do with the 10.4.3 drivers. I'm going to try updating them soon and seeing if that fixes the problem.

My guess is that their screens are capable of higher resolutions than 1280x800. Is that the native resolution of yours? 1280x800 is the native on mine. It's the low-end screen and I don't think it is capable of the refresh rate OSX is giving it. It's just a guess though.

I have 10.4.5 on right now.

My guess is that their screens are capable of higher resolutions than 1280x800. Is that the native resolution of yours? 1280x800 is the native on mine. It's the low-end screen and I don't think it is capable of the refresh rate OSX is giving it. It's just a guess though.

I have 10.4.5 on right now.

The native on the 9300 is 1440x900 I believe. It's the 17" widescreen. I've also been curious what would happen if I hooked it up to my main monitor via the VGA out. Any of you guys tried this?

Okay, I found out that my X300 has the horrible tearing when you move windows if you set it any higher than 1280x1024. The native resolution of my LCD is 1400x1050, so it looks like I'll have to run it a tad lower, at least for now (I hope).

Hey good work koverg! Out of curiosity...I tried it with my Radeon 9000 Mobility ID=4C66 and no go. Same problem. That is quite expected.

The system is actually up, mouse cursor moves and I could ssh into my system and see System Profiler, card gets detected but no screen info. That's odd...if powerbooks use this card well enough with QE support, what is missing in the current x86 drivers?

this is a great thread!

Has anyone been able to get a PCI express mobility laptop ATI card to work?

(X300 or X600?)

thanks!

Hi,

my laptop is an Hp Pavillion zd8302ea.. with x600 onboard..

With koverg patch works flawlessly... Non annoyng small artifact are still there..

And no resolution change at the moment.. I can use 1600x1200 with and external monitor

but my lcd shows just 1024x768....

Hope this helps

Hey good work koverg! Out of curiosity...I tried it with my Radeon 9000 Mobility ID=4C66 and no go. Same problem. That is quite expected.

The system is actually up, mouse cursor moves and I could ssh into my system and see System Profiler, card gets detected but no screen info. That's odd...if powerbooks use this card well enough with QE support, what is missing in the current x86 drivers?

Okay, i have an idea. my guess is that the same security is in place for the Radeon8500 and older plain AtiRadeon kexts, if someone could try a similar hack for the older Kexts, i think they would make alot of 7500/8500/9000/9200 users very happy. Can someone please try this?

:)

Hello from France!

First of all, here's my Config : Amd 64 3000+

Asus K8ne-deluxe

Ati Radeon 9600 SE (128)

MacOsx86 10.4.3 (Jas patched)

Everything goes nice, including internet access,since i plugged a Realtek card on pci port.

Well, here's my problem :

I saw one of you guys, reporting support of Radeon 9600 Pro (256) by appliying Koverg's patch.

As i said before my card is a 9600 se (128) but it's recognized by Macosx86 10.4.3 as a Radeon Pro 256.

But i think graphic acceleration doesn't work cos' videos aren't played properly in fullscreen... So I tried to apply Koverg's patch (the second one).

So i followed on instructions, patching the 9700 file and so on (in the terminal). Before reboot i repaired disk permissions with Disk Utility.

And after a reboot --> Macosx failed on starting so i reinstalled it.

Anyone got a idea why it didn't reboot correctly ?

Have a good day! and thanxx by advance! :pirate2:

Hi Getz

You are having the same problem some of us are reporting: not being able to boot after applying the patch. We don't know the reason yet, I'm still trying a handfull of things to figure out.

Hello All,

Has anyone managed to get a non ATI made card working? Such as one without a Vendor ID of 1002? I have a Sapphire X800 PCIe 256mb card and after doing the patching it just comes up with a mouse cursor and I can move the cursor but the screen is frozen with the gray apple loading logo background. If I do a -v and check the output there are no errors. I have manually tried to load the kext and it loads fine. My Device ID is 554F and I notice that it is being reported on the first page as working. Is that with a 1002 vendor ID? Just curious if anyone has had to reflash their card's BIOS in order to change the vendor ID for this hack to work.

Thanks to all!

does anyone know what the boot sequence is and when it's decided that we have a non supported display? What I mean by that is which kext does that job?

When I use on board gfx (Intel GMA 950) my lcd is detected just fine but when using my x1800xl ... no go, and that's a problem for me because I want to run in 1440x900. Using any other resolution makes things look like {censored}.

For whatever it's worth, I'm totally cool with doing some kernel debugging, if req'd; just wondering if anyone else has taken a glance at this problem first and can point me in the right direction or has any other tips before I get started.

Hi, 'pokermaster'

I don't know if this can help, but you never know... ;)

I've an ati radeon x600 mobile in my laptop.. Using a patched ATIRadeon9700.kext i have full QE & CI.

I can change the resolution only using an external monitor (as i stated above)..

hence the suspect that /System/Library/Displays/* could play a seriuos role in the game..

Let us know your progress..