X700 and other PCIE ATI Radeon finally work

koverg

923 posts in this topic

I have a soluton for those who entered device id into Info.plist, and than OS booting but blank screen.

I had to patch the ATIRadeon9700 binary image, because there was a check in the code for specific device ids.

So it is not enough to put device id into the Info.plist we also need slight mod to the driver code.

Screenshots

**** EDIT ****

I have summarized the reports here for those who do not want to read the whole thread.

The patch is here: http://www.load.to/?d=Ji8ppJBezM

Alternate location: http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=91429

The patch is for enabling QE and CI (and of course OpenGL) on ATI PCIe cards.

It works on 10.4.3 - 10.4.6.

Some mouse artifacts may appear, Mousepose fixes this problem. I did not try it yet.

It is not confirmed but i strongly beleave it will work only for PCIe cards.

The screen resolution and the refresh rate will not be selectable with this patch. (Use the good old method...)

Do not use VMWARE to determine device id. If you are under Windows use ATITool to get correct device id (always use the first device if you have dual display adapter)

The working cards (plese send device id if possible!!!)

+5b63 Sappire Radeon x550

+5e4b AsusEAX700 Pro 256mb / and of cource my MSI X700 Pro 128MB

+???? x800gt

+???? x300 mobility

+???? x700 mobility

+5653 x700 mobility

+???? GigabyteX800XL ViVo

+???? x740

+5460ATI Radeon x300 Mobility

+3150 ATI mobility Radeon x600

+???? X300 on Thinkpad T43

+???? ATI Radeon x800

+554f ATI X800 PCIe 128M

+554b ATI X800GT

The non working cards:

-5A62 ATI x200 integrated graphics (no R300 chipset)

-5d52 x850xt

-5d52 ???

-5E4B X740 (this sould work, please retry)

-5a61 x200 (reported by gregknac, thanks!)

Cheers!

Features people miss:

- resolution change

- secondary VGA output

- refresh rate change

- mouse artifact

• Like 1

koverg!

you and i have pretty much the EXACT same setup. i have the p5wd2 premium and the pentium d 820. a few questions for you...have you gotten your onboard audio working? what version of os x are you running? i just got the disc for 10.4.4 and installed...i am currently trying to get audio and onboard ethernet working, so any help you can give would be fantastic!

thanks!

Nice Job Koverg!!! It's always nice to brag about one's success!!! Well done....

BTW, your name is fully visible in the screencapture......

Are you planning on sharing your hard work?

P.S. You should setup a PayPal account, I'm sure donations would poor in if you help with other ATI models....

I know I would pay to get the 9200 on my laptop to work.....

Nice Job Koverg!!! It's always nice to brag about one's success!!! Well done....

BTW, your name is fully visible in the screencapture......

Are you planning on sharing your hard work?

P.S. You should setup a PayPal account, I'm sure donations would poor in if you help with other ATI models....

I know I would pay to get the 9200 on my laptop to work.....

haha, I'd probably throw in a few dollars to get 1680x1050 support from my mobility 9200 card ;)

there was a check in the code for specific device ids.

that right there is a HINT major! whip out your hex editors or whatever works for you. :P

this seems like a good thread for ideas to be exchanged on the subject. i'm putting in my x800, gonna find that device id etc. and work from there.

that right there is a HINT major! whip out your hex editors or whatever works for you. :P

this seems like a good thread for ideas to be exchanged on the subject. i'm putting in my x800, gonna find that device id etc. and work from there.

Good idea, I will try that as well.

He can't probably post the kext but he could upload it to demoniod, TPB, etc...

I did the mod in my favourite HEX editor, and used otool (in XCode) and HT (at SourceForge) to disassemble the kext.

I do not want to violate the forum rules so I will not post patched binaries, anyway there are many different device id out there and my path works with only one specific ID.

I am going to create a genaral patcher that I hope will work on 10.4.3 and 10.4.4 with any X300-X8xx ATI PCIE cards.

NOTE: the resolution still can't be modified in Preferences, and the are the usual mouse artifacts. There are solutions to these issues. Search the forum.

Best regards,

Gabor

koverg!

you and i have pretty much the EXACT same setup. i have the p5wd2 premium and the pentium d 820. a few questions for you...have you gotten your onboard audio working? what version of os x are you running? i just got the disc for 10.4.4 and installed...i am currently trying to get audio and onboard ethernet working, so any help you can give would be fantastic!

thanks!

I had audio in 10.4.3 (Azalia.kext), but still no luck in 10.4.4.

my info:

ATI Mobility Radeon x700 128Mb

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x5653

hope it helps you roll them all into one patch/kext!

good luck, and thanks in advance for sharing what you accomplished!

BTW: My ATI is showing no kext loaded, and is running in VESA3 1400x1050 only but my xbench graphic scores seem much higher than your screenshot? see attachment.