what to do with spare pc?

11 posts in this topic

Home multimedia server.

If you have an Xbox 360, Xbox, Nintendo Wii, or Playstation 3 to use as an extender, you could easily turn it into a home multimedia server and put all your favorite movies, video, and music files on there and access it all from one location.

Otherwise, put linux on it and play around...

I believe if you put Vista (or Windows Server?) on the spare PC, you can use it like SDracer said, as a media center extender. I'm not totally sure though as I haven't done it before, but Vista does have built in support for Xbox 360, as a media center extender.

Problem with Vi$ta is if it's an old computer it'll run like sh*t. Plus, you want a set it and forget it box. Not something you have to reboot a couple of times a week and constantly be applying security and bugfix updates to. I'd suggest media centric linux distro. Mythbuntu perhaps.

Use Windows MCE 2005, it works great with the 360, otherwise you can get Windows 2000 (or XP) and install Windows Connect software (i don't think that is the name though). Also, that F1 can run Vista. As long as you have 512MB of Ram, you are good to go.

Contrary to popular belief, your system specs don't have to be over the top to run Vista. All that is really needed is a Intel Celeron processor or higher and at least 512MB of Ram. You do not have to have Aero enabled to run Vista...

Go to Xbox.com, it will help you out...

Thanks guys but i have the old Xbox not the new one. Not the 360.

Guys when i try installing Vista the monitor say "Out OF Range"

Any ideas?????

Between SDRacer48

I found no help on Xbox.com

Any ideas?

Thanks guys but i have the old Xbox not the new one. Not the 360.

Guys when i try installing Vista the monitor say "Out OF Range"

Any ideas?????

Between SDRacer48

I found no help on Xbox.com

Any ideas?

My bad, I thought you were referring to the Xbox 360, but it can still be done on the Xbox. My friend did it a while back...

All the info and stuff you need will be at xbmc.org.